PDA

View Full Version : General clutch, how often?

gullwingD
02-11-2016, 10:54 PM
How often do the clutch cylinders need to be replaced? I've heard some guys say every two years... is that really necessary? What's the longest you've had yours going for?

Gregadeth
02-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Basically when it starts to wear out - or when you have the transmission already open for something else. It's a wear item, just like brakes. It can last days or years depending on how you use and/or abuse it.

Edit: Nevermind, thought you were talking about the clutch itself.

DMCVegas
02-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Clutch Cylinders? You mean the hardware like the Master and Slave Cylinders?

Just whenever seals go bad and it starts to leak. The hydraulic fluid you replace every two years, but not the Cylinders. Those should be good for many years to come.

Nicholas R
02-11-2016, 11:32 PM
I dont think they're scheduled maintenance parts; just run-to-failure.

How long they last is going to be less dependent on your use, and more dependent on how much you take care of your clutch fluid system. Keep your fluid clean and new and you they'll last a very long time. Let air and water build up in the system, it will pit the cylinders, and your seal will be toast.

john 05141
02-12-2016, 08:34 AM
If they start to show ware, how long can they still last?
I'm having a long trip to BElfast this spring, I'd hate it if it fails on me then, or can I still dive home?
Is that an expensive part to replace?

Jan

David T
02-12-2016, 09:34 AM
If you keep up with the maintenance by flushing the brake and clutch fluid every 2 years the cylinders will last a long time. The parts themselves are not all that expensive but the labor to pay someone can be a lot if you don't do the work yourself. No, you should not drive on a bad clutch cylinder, you can cause a lot of expensive damage to the transmission.

DMCVegas
02-12-2016, 05:10 PM
No, you should not drive on a bad clutch cylinder, you can cause a lot of expensive damage to the transmission.

I can vouch for that. I had a '99 Explorer Sport (worst vehicle I ever owned) that had hydraulic fluid pressure problems thanks to a terrible design by Ford that I didn't catch in time. Long story short, it ate my Synchros.

That is another reason why you want to replace the stock plastic clutch fluid line on the DeLorean.

Rich
02-12-2016, 05:52 PM
How often do the clutch cylinders need to be replaced? I've heard some guys say every two years... is that really necessary? What's the longest you've had yours going for?

Not every 2 years. That's how often the hydraulic fluid needs to be flushed and filled, as David mentions.

Our original clutch and slave each lasted >25yrs.

David T
02-12-2016, 09:08 PM
A clutch can last 100,000 miles or 10 miles, it all depends on how you drive the car. Just removed a clutch from a car with 23,000 miles and on one side of the clutch disc all of the friction materiel is GONE! The only reason for such a failure is abuse. As for the clutch cylinders, they can usually be rebuilt and that is only necessary if they leak and that happens if the fluid is not changed regularly. I know of 1 car with over 70,000 miles still on it's original cylinders. It does get regular use and service. Original clutch too.

Rich
02-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Not every 2 years. That's how often the hydraulic fluid needs to be flushed and filled, as David mentions.

Our original clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder each lasted >25yrs.

Self-clarification of previous answer is above.

The clutch itself isn't part of the original question but ours is still original at 68K mi.

Lenny
02-13-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm getting ready to be on my third in 5 years. The one on the car when I bought it lasted 3 years. the replacement just over 1. the car's been sitting for 3 months. It died the day after the Lake Mirror car show.

I think it's the slave cylinder. it has the same symptoms as the last time. Over a few days the clutch goes further and further toward the floor to engage. Then one day there is no more room to push down.

DMCVegas
02-14-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm getting ready to be on my third in 5 years. The one on the car when I bought it lasted 3 years. the replacement just over 1. the car's been sitting for 3 months. It died the day after the Lake Mirror car show.

I think it's the slave cylinder. it has the same symptoms as the last time. Over a few days the clutch goes further and further toward the floor to engage. Then one day there is no more room to push down.

Two questions here:

Are you still running the OEM plastic clutch line?
When buying parts, are you sourcing quality DMC parts from reputable vendors?

Lenny
02-14-2016, 08:31 PM
Two questions here:

Are you still running the OEM plastic clutch line?
When buying parts, are you sourcing quality DMC parts from reputable vendors?

My Car was a DMC Rebuild. The Slave Cylinder was replaced by DMC Florida.

opethmike
02-15-2016, 10:55 PM
What about the clutch line? Replacing it with the stainless unit is a critical item. Going through clutch disks at that rate is crazy. My much higher horsepower and torque Lotus Esprit went 70,000 miles on its original clutch.

dn010
02-16-2016, 09:12 AM
They are talking about the clutch cylinders, not about the discs. With slave cylinders I've gone through 2 cylinders and one rebuild in the past 14 years, I currently need either another rebuild or another cylinder since the car sat for a while and the slave cylinder is now dripping fluid. I've gone through 1 clutch master cylinder in the past 14 as well. Like the others mentioned, if you take care of the system and you use the car you shouldn't have to worry about them wearing out quickly.