PDA

View Full Version : General Alcantara Steering Wheel

drdelorean
02-14-2016, 06:23 PM
So I got my hands on a extra stripped original steering wheel.. I'm planning on getting it professionally trimmed in black alcantara leather with either grey or white stitching. Anyone ever attempted anything like this?

I will post pictures as soon as I get it done, and post my thoughts on it.

Mark D
02-15-2016, 10:44 AM
My personal experience with alcantara on a steering wheel is that it doesn't last very long before looking warn and getting dirty... On e46 generation BMW's they went away from the alcantara wrapped wheels to perforated leather on the performance package (ZHP) cars. Most cars are pushing 10 years old or more and nearly all of them are in need of a re-wrapped wheel, or have already had it done once (or twice). The most commonly used vendor is Coby Wheel. http://cobywheel.com/

That being said, when new and properly cared for I think alcantara looks (and feels) great. Just make sure if you decide to go this route get the best quality material you can find and use a good vendor that has experience working with the material.

On a DeLorean wear may not be as big of an issue if you're only driving your car occasionally. Most of the really bad wheels I've seen are on cars that were daily drivers. There are special brushes and cleaners you can use that will also help keep the steering wheel looking clean. If you don't mind a little upkeep once in a while I think it would be a unique modification to add.