PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Removing old gas

OverlandMan
02-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Whats the best and/or easiest way to remove old gas from the gas tank? I'm thinking I can jump the rpm relay and use the fuel pump but thought I'd ask what others have done.

81dmc
02-20-2016, 02:28 PM
You could do that, but you should check inside the tank for any debris first.

Gfrank
02-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Possibly the best $14 I've ever spent is on one of these http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Orcon-Jiggle-Siphon-2-0m-10-LPM/312556

Couldn't say exactly where local you can let one, but anything like Home Depot or part source id think

Rich_NYS
02-20-2016, 03:33 PM
I used a siphon hose on both of mine.

OverlandMan
02-20-2016, 03:43 PM
You could do that, but you should check inside the tank for any debris first.

Should have prefaced with the fact I've already cleaned and scrubbed the tank 1-1 1/2 years ago so that should be fine. I'm really just trying to refresh the current gas (1/4 tank full maybe at most). It's been in there roughly 1 year while I've been working through various fuel system issues. I figured it would be a good practice to get some newer gas before I flow it through new components.

I have a transfer pump but that was kind of a pain. I recall reading on here a while back someone who uses the fuel pump to drain the gas as part of their winterizing process. I guess my question is, where do you disconnect the line? The hose right off the pump at the front of the car or the line going into the filter or fuel distributor at the back?

Getting rid of old gas is a pain.

SS Spoiler
02-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Put a weighted tube to the bottom of the tank feeding into a container
on the floor. Apply air pressure to the tank to start the siphon. Iv'e
never done this but it sounds like it could work?....

DMC-81
02-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi Jeff,

I pumped out 5 month old gas after my engine refresh was done. I disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, put it in an empty gas can, and jumpered the RPM gauge. Easy peasey. Instructions here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11336-Can-you-siphon-the-tank-empty

I just ran the pump for 30 seconds at a time to be cautious.

OverlandMan
02-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi Jeff,

I pumped out 5 month old gas after my engine refresh was done. I disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, put it in an empty gas can, and jumpered the RPM gauge. Easy peasey. Instructions here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11336-Can-you-siphon-the-tank-empty

I just ran the pump for 30 seconds at a time to be cautious.

Perfect. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

When you disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, how did you get it into a gas can? My supply line is only long enough to connect between the filter and the fuel distributor. I was thinking about lifting the back of the car and taking off the left rear wheel.

DMC-81
02-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Perfect. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

When you disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, how did you get it into a gas can? My supply line is only long enough to connect between the filter and the fuel distributor. I was thinking about lifting the back of the car and taking off the left rear wheel.

You're welcome. My supply line is still original (near future project), so I had plenty of slack to put it in a 5 gallon can right above the AC compressor. I stuffed a rag around the opening to prevent splash/spillage. If your supply line is shorter, then I agree that you'll have to find another method.

Cheers,
Dana

OverlandMan
02-26-2016, 10:40 AM
You're welcome. My supply line is still original (near future project), so I had plenty of slack to put it in a 5 gallon can right above the AC compressor. I stuffed a rag around the opening to prevent splash/spillage. If your supply line is shorter, then I agree that you'll have to find another method.

Cheers,
Dana

Well I was able to get this knocked out last night. I emptied the old gas using an empty 5 liter oil jug. I did filled it up a few times and transferred the old gas to an empty 5 gallon gas can. There was maybe 2-3 gallons in the DeLorean tank.

So what do you guys do with your old gasoline? I may be able to burn a small portion of it in my lawn mower but this has been an issue for me in the past.

Josh
02-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Well I was able to get this knocked out last night. I emptied the old gas using an empty 5 liter oil jug. I did filled it up a few times and transferred the old gas to an empty 5 gallon gas can. There was maybe 2-3 gallons in the DeLorean tank.

So what do you guys do with your old gasoline? I may be able to burn a small portion of it in my lawn mower but this has been an issue for me in the past.

It depends on the recycling programs in your area. But i usually just burn it in a small engine... lawnmower, weedwacker, etc.

Dangermouse
02-26-2016, 10:59 AM
If it's only a year old I would just add it, a gallon at a time, to your DDs almost full tank. It may decrease the average octane rating of that tank but a modern ecu will adjust accordingly.

Of course, that's just what I would do. Ymmv.

David T
02-26-2016, 09:05 PM
If it smells really bad I would not try to use it at all. In any case it should be filtered before use. To get rid of it go to a local gas station, most will take small amounts or they will tell you where you can take it.

DMC-81
02-26-2016, 09:23 PM
If it's only a year old I would just add it, a gallon at a time, to your DDs almost full tank. It may decrease the average octane rating of that tank but a modern ecu will adjust accordingly.

Of course, that's just what I would do. Ymmv.

+1. Mine was only 5 months old, so I did this.

DMCMW Dave
02-27-2016, 12:09 AM
If it smells really bad I would not try to use it at all. In any case it should be filtered before use. To get rid of it go to a local gas station, most will take small amounts or they will tell you where you can take it.

You must live in New Jersey :) . Gas stations everywhere else won't take trash any more complex than food wrappers.

Gas up to a year or two old can be mixed into another car, BUT if it smells bad, don't to that. It is hard to get rid of as it is considered toxic waste. It may take some calling around to find someone who can get rid of it, especially if you have several gallons. And expect to pay for the service, we are paying well over $100 to get rid of a 25-gallon barrel of bad gas.