PDA

View Full Version : General fender antenna

gullwingD
02-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Is it unusual for a late 81 to have a black fender mounted antenna....? could they have run out of the power antennas during a certain time?

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Is it unusual for a late 81 to have a black fender mounted antenna....? could they have run out of the power antennas during a certain time?

No. It wasn't until December of 1981 that they started using the power antennas mounted in the rear.

refugeefromcalif
02-25-2016, 07:03 PM
No. It wasn't until December of 1981 that they started using the power antennas mounted in the rear.

My Nov. 81 build has the rear power antenna.?

George

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
My Nov. 81 build has the rear power antenna.?

George

There's no telling what was done later at dealerships, by previous owners, etc.

My car had a windshield antenna until a rock broke the glass while windshield antennas were NLA. Now I have a rear power antenna.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
https://support.delorean.com/kb/a49/antennas.aspx

"The earliest DeLorean cars came with a particularly inefficient antenna embedded in the windshield, so somewhere around VIN 3200, DMC switched to a fixed mast antenna mounted on the right front fender. Later in the 1981 model year, some cars were also fitted with a manually retractable antenna also mounted in the right front fender. In December of 1981, DMC abandoned the unsightly fixed radio antenna in the right front fender and started equipping new DeLoreans with fully retractable, automatic, electric antennas."

PJ Grady Inc.
02-25-2016, 07:18 PM

As I recall they started using the power antenna in late '81 and did run out at some point until '82 production started. Most, if not all, of the 7000 VIN cars had the manually retractable R/H fender mount antenna such as 7198 which is in the shop now with a plug that the owner installed after converting to the later L/R quarter mounted power unit. I don't recall the exact start of power antenna usage but I'd take a guess around the late 5000 VIN range as a sub 6100 car that's here now has a solid front fender and the power antenna in the quarter panel. Perhaps one of our "historian's" here has better documentation than my recollection. I'm not aware of any parts or service bulletins that made mention of VIN chronology of all four types of antenna's used throughout production.
Rob

mluder
02-25-2016, 07:28 PM

My car is an Oct. '81 (VIN 4456) and I have a rear mounted power antenna...

Cheers
Steve

Soundkillr
02-25-2016, 07:29 PM

No that's not accurate. Both of my oct 81 cars had the rear mounted power antenna. I've seen the rear power antenna on vins around 4800 and up....

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
My car is an Oct. '81 (VIN 4456) and I have a rear mounted power antenna...

Cheers
Steve

No that's not accurate. Both of my oct 81 cars had the rear mounted power antenna. I've seen the rear power antenna on vins around 4800 and up....

https://support.delorean.com/kb/a49/antennas.aspx

Again, there is no telling what dealerships and previous owners have done over the past 35 years.

Gregadeth
02-25-2016, 08:15 PM
The change from front fender to rear antenna was either in August or September 81. I haven't seen a front fender antenna on any October or later cars. Mine is a Nov build and has the rear power antenna.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 08:16 PM
This is probably the best documentation from the time to explain what cars left the factory with what antenna. Some cars even left the factory with no antenna whatsoever, as seen on this original memo I scanned in.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40113&d=1456449357

Soundkillr
02-25-2016, 08:27 PM
This is probably the best documentation from the time to explain what cars left the factory with what antenna. Some cars even left the factory with no antenna whatsoever, as seen on this original memo I scanned in.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40113&d=1456449357

We know a lot of the factory information is just wrong. I'm not trying to argue, but rather try and shed some light on the antenna vs vin issue. I can assure you my front fender reeks of originality and has never been filled. I knew of an original owner of an Oct car and his was never modified. He too had a rear mount power antenna. Again I've seen multiple Oct 81 cars with rear power, so odds are they came this way originally.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 08:31 PM
We know a lot of the factory information is just wrong. I'm not trying to argue, but rather try and shed some light on the antenna vs vin issue. I can assure you my front fender reeks of originality and has never been filled. I knew of an original owner of an Oct car and his was never modified. He too had a rear mount power antenna. Again I've seen multiple Oct 81 cars with rear power, so odds are they came this way originally.

What VIN are you? Was yours listed as "no antenna" on that memo? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if a QAC or dealership installed your antenna after it left the factory without one.

Here's another memo issued on 12/17/81 announcing that power antennas were now being fitted:

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=dmc12;id=5;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edmcnews% 2Ecom%2F

Soundkillr
02-25-2016, 08:40 PM
I am 4998, and while it falls under the window of no antenna (according to your memo) I don't for a minute believe it to have been added after the fact. That said, I doubt dmc made 4345 cars with no antenna. They would all have almost no radio reception. I have also seen cars in those window ranges (in all categories) that completely contradict what is said in the memo.
Another great case about the factory memos, is the concourse manuals. They have several exceptions to many pieces or changes, because no one can iron down exact times things changed, or were modified at the factory, despite what dmc documents say. I can take some time to research several examples of this, and admit I don't have them on me at this time.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 08:47 PM
I am 4998, and while it falls under the window of no antenna (according to your memo) I don't for a minute believe it to have been added after the fact. That said, I doubt dmc made 4345 cars with no antenna.

Keep in mind every car went to a QAC once it reached the US for final touches. I wouldn't doubt cars left the factory without antennas if the memo states that.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Also see this checklist from the US QACs. Installing the antenna was one of their responsibilities.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40114&d=1456451588

Soundkillr
02-25-2016, 09:05 PM
ok, here is a perfect example. Please see my original window sticker. Please note the line that says rear power antenna. Standard.

FABombjoy
02-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Some cars even left the factory with no antenna whatsoever
That explains the crap install job on my rear-mount motorized antenna :D You can clearly see where the drill bit scratched the windows vent plastic and the wiring behind the drivers seat was kind of a wreck.

Thanks for posting that! I always figured the PO had a shoddy stereo shop work on it but now I know it's all concours original.

Patrick C
02-25-2016, 09:21 PM
ok, here is a perfect example. Please see my original window sticker. Please note the line that says rear power antenna. Standard.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40116&d=1456451707]
Also please note that the "Rear Mounted Power Antenna" portion is clearly added in via typewriter and does not match the original printing on the window sticker (nor is it the phrasing that other window stickers use.) The question is, was the typewriter text (as well as the antenna) added at a QAC or at a dealership? My guess is QAC as the factory paperwork indicates.

Look at Tamir's window sticker where the "Electric Power Antenna" text matches everything else (and falls in a different location):

http://www.entermyworld.com/cat/myd/sticker/stickernew1x1.jpg

EDIT: Another example of how the "Electric Power Antenna" text looks on other window stickers where the power antennas came standard from the factory:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/aMIAAOSwu4BVrsts/$_57.JPG

Soundkillr
02-25-2016, 09:32 PM
dude, im not going to argue about it all night. It would be easy for me to tell for sure. I can check the original purchase date. If memory serves the car was purchased almost right after it was delivered. If it was QAC job to install an antenna AND update the window sticker, so be it (and I still doubt it) BUT that would mean it was DMC's impression to show the rear power antenna as standard, and it did in fact come on the oct cars. In other words, if added away from the factory, it was still added immediately from QAC and touted as standard equipment.
My guess? I would suspect the type is different because DMC had changed the antennas earlier and had not updated the window stickers. Later stickers were updated.
My point it this, again, DMC represents rear power antenna standard for my vehicle. Which again is oct 81. Could it not be considered standard on earlier cars, as well as later?

Dangermouse
02-26-2016, 08:32 AM
More importantly, why on earth would you build a car with a radio, but no antenna?

Mine falls into the early part of the "no antenna" range but it has a fender mounted one. Was it installed at the QAC? Was it shipped from Dunmurry with a punched hole in the fender or did the QAC do that too? Was there a delay from the antenna manufacturing company and DMCL decided to ship theme without one, and fit it later? Did the antennas come from Craig?

No idea

David T
02-26-2016, 10:13 AM
More importantly, why on earth would you build a car with a radio, but no antenna?

Mine falls into the early part of the "no antenna" range but it has a fender mounted one. Was it installed at the QAC? Was it shipped from Dunmurry with a punched hole in the fender or did the QAC do that too? Was there a delay from the antenna manufacturing company and DMCL decided to ship theme without one, and fit it later? Did the antennas come from Craig?

No idea

For more information refer to Service Bulletins ST-07-7/81 and ST-12-9/81. I am sure there is no exact cut/off date, the parts were used up till they supplied the power antennae. Different facilities switched over at different times as they received parts. You can also refer to the Concours Manual for the best, most up-to-date information as to cut-off dates.

DMCVegas
02-26-2016, 10:13 AM

No idea

The original windshield antennas were not working very well. Probably an issue with the radio given that since that time, many vehicles have utilized glass-based antennas with no problem. Also, radio broadcasting is a whole lot different today than it was years ago. I remember when as I kid we would drive between tall buildings or even a tunnel, and get static. I've not had that in years. But again, car radios have come a LONG way over the past 35 years.

While working on a fix for the antennas and superseding the windshield, DMC was still at a loss for a while about how to go forward and rectify this issue. So cars shipped with no antenna while they came up with a fix. The first was the fender antenna, and later was the rear power antenna. From what I have heard in the past, the New Jersey QAC had a sizable supply of the fender antennas while the California QAC had quickly shifted over to the powered units. It's not uncommon at all for a car manufacturer to initiate a production change for a vehicle, but will first exhaust existing parts supplies before switching over to the new ones. This can even happen as production years themselves change, and you end up with vehicles that the manufacturer never intended to build. This conflicts with both production change orders, and especially vehicles that shouldn't even exist in the first place. But they do. And things like this make Concourse judging a real challenge for those involved.

Riley88
02-26-2016, 11:22 AM
My car is an oct 81 and has original rear mounted power antenna=/ Also LOL at the dmc QA. eyeball the car, yeah great QA. Looks good boss!

Timebender
02-26-2016, 02:51 PM
7000 is a September 81 (IIRC) and has a fender mounted mast antenna.

Morpheus
02-26-2016, 04:02 PM
My April '81 build car almost certainly had a windshield antenna when it left the factory. The windshield was obviously replaced at some point, and now the car has a power rear antenna.

PJ Grady Inc.
02-26-2016, 06:18 PM

This is very interesting but while those "no antenna" cars may have left the factory this way probably none were delivered to dealers that way as the prep centers were charged with doing whatever finish work was necessary to make them ready for sale. We sold cars throughout the production run including mid 81's and 82's and they were consistently delivered to us with the correct antenna (approximately at least!) for the VIN in question. I have personally never seen a Delorean that didn't have an antenna on it, or if missing at least the mounting hole with signs of previous use, at any time and we've worked on close to a thousand cars. I think I can safely say no cars were delivered antenna-less.
Rob

DMC-81
02-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Just curious...Did some original owners of cars with the windshield antenna have the dealer subsequently install the rear powered antenna when it became available to augment their radio reception?

PJ Grady Inc.
02-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Just curious...Did some original owners of cars with the windshield antenna have the dealer subsequently install the rear powered antenna when it became available to augment their radio reception?

Absolutely....we did a bunch of them. It was a common retrofit but almost everyone just capped the fender hole or left the windshield in so the telltale was still there. Now that the holes can more readily be welded and in some cases shields have been replaced there may well be "cheater" cars out there but it's a nice refinement over the fender mount which almost no one likes.
Rob

David T
02-26-2016, 08:51 PM
At the time the cars were being built it was very "in" to put the antennae into the windscreen. The insurance companies were pushing it because it was supposed to cut down damage claims from car washes bending antennas. The problem is the antennae is now horizontal (horizontally polarized) but the radio signals are VERTICALLY polarized. The net result is diminished range so if you don't live in a big city with powerful radio stations you quickly lose reception. The other problem is the radios of that era did not separate powerful stations well so nearby powerful stations would "bleed over" into each other. Especially if the antennae was not good. The vertical mast made everything much better and the power antennae took care of the car wash problem as long as the radio was turned off first!

Citizen
02-27-2016, 08:36 AM
[snip]
No idea

Of course I don't know for sure either, but I think the cars where intentionally shipped without the fender antenna masts so to prevent damage during transit (transfer from factory to port-of-exit, transition onto ship, off of ship, transit to QAC). Then on arrival at QAC in the United States, antennas were easily put on, then shipped to dealers.

T.

DMC-81
02-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Absolutely....we did a bunch of them. It was a common retrofit but almost everyone just capped the fender hole or left the windshield in so the telltale was still there. Now that the holes can more readily be welded and in some cases shields have been replaced there may well be "cheater" cars out there but it's a nice refinement over the fender mount which almost no one likes.
Rob

Thanks Rob. One last question. For the windshield antenna & stock Craig unit (which I have), has anybody installed a signal booster like one of these? Do they work?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/vehicles-car-radio-fm-antenna-signal-amplifier-booster-for-both-am-and-fm-radio-stations_p3260664.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=89086432456&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o4&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=4638878389_436412536_23314492576_pla-136051572736&gclid=CKb129OKmMsCFcdehgod-sYFiQ

http://www.carid.com/american-international/fm-antenna-signal-booster-mpn-ab150.html?gclid=CIHGv_mKmMsCFQZZhgodelEP7g

PJ Grady Inc.
02-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks Rob. One last question. For the windshield antenna & stock Craig unit (which I have), has anybody installed a signal booster like one of these? Do they work?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/vehicles-car-radio-fm-antenna-signal-amplifier-booster-for-both-am-and-fm-radio-stations_p3260664.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=89086432456&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o4&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=4638878389_436412536_23314492576_pla-136051572736&gclid=CKb129OKmMsCFcdehgod-sYFiQ

http://www.carid.com/american-international/fm-antenna-signal-booster-mpn-ab150.html?gclid=CIHGv_mKmMsCFQZZhgodelEP7g

I installed a few signal boosters back in the day on fender and quarter antenna'd cars with a marked improvement but never on a W/S antenna car. Today's radios generally don't require an FM booster. I'd suggest the power antenna upgrade as the better, albeit more expensive, fix. No harm in trying one first however!
Rob

steve6864
02-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Time bender stated a few posts back he had Vin 7000. September 81 build. I have 6864,November 81 build. Antennae is right front fender,electric. Biggest question is how does my car have a earlier Vin,but,later build date!?

DMC-81
02-27-2016, 07:46 PM
I installed a few signal boosters back in the day on fender and quarter antenna'd cars with a marked improvement but never on a W/S antenna car. Today's radios generally don't require an FM booster. I'd suggest the power antenna upgrade as the better, albeit more expensive, fix. No harm in trying one first however!
Rob

Thanks Rob. I probably would favor the power antenna over the booster. I'll refurb/clean the head unit and then reassess. Apologies to the OP. I hope I didn't derail the thread.

mluder
02-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Well... I fall into the NO ANTENNA range at 4456. If my rear mounted antenna was done at a QAC then whoever cut the rear vent for the mast clearance had the steadiest hand I've ever encountered... And the patience to finish the cut to pristine spec. because there's no sign of it being done after the fact.

Of course it's possible the rear vent piece was of the "newer" style made for the rear antenna cars and was installed at the factory without an antenna. But, it seems unlikely they would have had those pieces on hand prior to having antennas.

It's a mystery.

Cheers
Steve

JRNY13
03-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Is it true that JZD didn't like the look of the fender antenna and that's why it was discontinued?

03-01-2016, 03:28 PM
I have an original windshield and original rear power antenna - Oct 81, VIN 5875. There's also 3 other Oct 81 cars in my hometown and all have the same as my car. Perhaps the antenna's were added on US soil at a QC depot.