PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Turn Signal Lights...

Lwanmtr
02-27-2016, 02:46 AM
Ok, havin a lil problem locating an issue...

I dont have rear flashers. Using the hazard switch the front lights are flashing fine, but the rear dont flash. Im wondering where the front light wiring meets up with the rear? I been looking at the wiring diagram, but cant seem to figure that out. Im pretty sure its gotta be around there somewhere.

I havent been using the turn switch on the column, cause I'm sure thats bjorked cause I dont get anything from it...cept the horn and high beam.

Any help is appreciated.

Gregadeth
02-27-2016, 03:57 AM
Check the black connection circled below. I think that's the one that leads to the lights at the rear. Is it just the turn signals or all the lights in the back that aren't working?

Lwanmtr
02-27-2016, 04:15 AM
I've checked the black connector a couple times...looks ok and the pins all seem fine.

I get brake and tail lights and the side markers.
Havent been able to check if backup lights come on, and the license plate lights also dont come on.

Horsebox
02-27-2016, 11:54 AM
I would unplug the black connector and use a multimeter to both GW and GR pins at the bulkhead to check for +12V on/off with the hazard light switch pressed in.

Lwanmtr
02-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I kinda had that duh moment last night...hehe. Gonna be doin that today.

Lwanmtr
02-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Success?

I Put volt meter on...and plugged in a test light ($4 at autozone)...both sides are getting power. But they arent lighting the flashers on the tail light board. One side going bad I can see...but both sides? Specially since I get tail lights and brake lights on both sides. I cleaned contacts, etc.

Did fix the license plate light..the connectors were just loose on the light.

Horsebox
02-28-2016, 04:04 AM
Next step to unscrew the lights at the back, remove the electrical connector from the circuit board and get handy with your test light again. At least you've tracked the problem down to the back of the car. Nearly there!

Lwanmtr
02-28-2016, 04:11 AM
I've already checked at the connectors that go to the boards...there's power getting there...the pins inside look ok. Just not getting the flashers on the boards.

Horsebox
02-28-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a common ground for all the rear lights so if most of them work then your PCB ground is good. Which kind of leaves us with duff bulbs!

Could the bulb holders have come away from the board contacts? Can you check continuity between ground and the bulb socket? Also do the same for the power side...

Or maybe some of your solder tracks on the PCB are shot. I know one of mine has been resoldered in the past.

Lwanmtr
02-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Gonna check the sockets themselves later today. The bulbs are good, since I replaced them all with shiny new led's. Worse case, I'll have to replace the boards, I guess.

Gregadeth
02-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Gonna check the sockets themselves later today. The bulbs are good, since I replaced them all with shiny new led's. Worse case, I'll have to replace the boards, I guess.Did you also replace the flasher relay? I think the original relay has issues with LEDs, specifically with the turn signal lights.

Lwanmtr
02-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I got the other relay months ago, when I first started working on the car, cause I knew I was going led at some point.

Tracked it...

One side the socket is loose...so after jiggling it worked. the other side nothing...Looks like Ima have to get new boards..not bad though since the pair is only $120