PDA

View Full Version : General Undercoating ?

gullwingD
02-27-2016, 06:19 PM
So I've already talked to at least one expert on this, but I'd like to hear what others think. I'm considering purchasing a car that was built at the end of the '81 production. I looked underneath and it has that black tar-like undercoating. No one seems to be sure exactly when it was applied. I'm worried that someone down the line may have been trying to conceal some damage... On top of that, I think even if there wasn't any damage, it would bug me that the undercoat is there. Anyone else have a car like this... thoughts? Would you pass up a car because it was undercoated? Would the undercoat lower resale value?

jamesrguk
02-27-2016, 06:29 PM
The undercoat is a mixed blessing, in the same way that the epoxy coating on our frames can be, it can conceal rust as easily as it prevents it and is a bugger to remove.

That said if applied properly when the car was new - an easy extra money maker for the dealer - then it may well have done as intended and protected the chassis.

IMHO it's not ideal, but I wouldn't let it put me off buying a car I'd just be extra careful about trying to check the condition underneath the car for any tell tale signs of corrosion.

J