PDA

View Full Version : Engine Lots of work to do, but in what order?

VIN1498
03-10-2016, 10:44 AM
I removed my manual transmission to replace my clutch and replace my exhaust with the Hersey Magnaflow exhaust.

Things I hope to do and what I have done while there:

1. Replace the clutch and associated hardware.

The transmission is out, the clutch master and slave are replaced and bled. New stainless steel line. Flywheel has been turned and waiting on new flywheel bolts from DMC to finish the clutch install and flywheel install. Pilot bearing is installed and the main seal is installed on the cover. Main question here would be what sealant folks are using on these paper gaskets. Indian Head is what I feel would be appropriate.

2. Install the new exhaust system

All exhaust components are removed from the tail pipe to each exhaust stud. Planned to use all four exhaust studs per cylinder and coat the studs with anti-seize as I install the new exhaust. It comes with no instructions so any advice from previous installations would be appreciated. Kinda wish I had Flowmaster 40s after hearing someone's car with them but I guess I got the MagnaFlow..

3. Replace the plugs, cap, rotor and wires

I have all the hardware and have done it before after removing the fuel distributor, but since I am planning on going as deep as the VOD should be easy to do on the way. Also have all new silicone vacuum lines while I am at it.

4. Replace the otterstat with a lower temp one and replace the radiator hoses with silicone ones in the engine compartment

So far I only have the hoses in silicone for the engine compartment coolant system. The rest of the hoses are pretty solid, leak free and easy to get too if they lose it. I had a switch to turn on the fans for parade use but am hoping the new otterstat will take care of that. Got a Hersey coolant bottle with the level indicator. Leaks out of the level indicator as bad as the one I sent back. Need to seal it up myself I guess. Totally dumb the second one is leaking too.

5. R&R the idler bearings

Just need to reinstall them on the timing cover when I'm done coating and resealing it.

6. Replace the front and rear main seals

Clutch side has the seal installed in the cover, but not over the shaft yet. Just go the flywheel back from the shop. Waiting on new flywheel bolts. Installed the seal with oil instead on RTV on the perimeter as suggested by other threads. It needs the oil to not tear the seal on the way in and it is such a tight seal RTV is over kill.

7. Replace the belts

Ready to install when I have the timing cover done and the idler pulleys reinstalled. All pulleys will be cleaned, blasted, powder coated and reinstalled.

8. Clean out the VOD.

My car was outside literally forever until now but despite that I kept it as a runner for over 100,000 since I bought it in 1990. I have the gaskets and o rings but have been looking for a thread of how to do this that is tried and true. I see folks talk about it but I haven't found it yet. Every time I reach in there, I pull out a hand full of acorns. I am sure it is a mess.

R&R the timing and valve covers

Powder coat the covers, reseal and clean up the the crank pulley. I see the lip seal runs on the pulley so I was gonna dress it with jewelers rouge or Mothers Mag Polish. Planned on using Indian Head again on the covers gaskets.

10. Change the transmission oil

Super easy when it's already out of the car!

11. Replace the fuel, air and oil filter

Anything else you think I should do "while I am there?"

Thanks!

Jonathan
03-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Anything else you think I should do "while I am there?"

Engine or transmission mounts?

VIN1498
03-10-2016, 01:15 PM
That's a good thought. I reworked the transmission mounts last time I went to the clutch but the engine ones look original. I'd say they are do. The axle boots could prolly get replaced. Does it take a press to install them?

Morpheus
03-10-2016, 01:18 PM
With the Transmission out, it is a good time to inspect/replace your Trailing Arm Bolts.