PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Please Need Help with bolts and hardware need to order ASAP to finally finish!

1batt4u
03-10-2016, 02:27 PM
I need some new bolts, washers for frame and body, and brake calipers. I also need some c-clips in Stainless for some of the fenders and quarter panels. Do they make those c-clips in stainless? Can't find anywhere.

1. Bolts and washers for Frame. I want to buy new fresh zinc plated bolts for the frame. http://store.delorean.com/p-9262-body-mtg-bolt-m10-x-30.aspx It is mentioned I should use M10 x 30mm long. I am buying bolts and washers from Bolt Depot.
They will be Zinc Plated 10.9 Steel, what is the thread size on those bolts?
Another question is when I separated the frame, I saw 2 washers fall down from rear of frame, and I believe there were another 2 sitting right under the body where the sway bar bolts on. Can someone let me know if this is correct, and if I missed other spots where washers have to be between the frame and body and what exact size washer, if they are M10 washers then will they be the extra large size or normal size?

2. Brake caliper Bolts and washers. Do I use just washers or lock washers as well?
Front Bolts are Zinc plated 10.9 half threaded M12 by how long and what size thread??
Rear Bolts are 7/16" UNF(Fine threaded) by how long? Half threaded or full threaded? Also this is where it gets trick for me as far as Grade. Is Zinc Plated Grade 5 steel good enough or do I have to go to grade 8?? https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts.aspx?nv=l

3. Fuel tank cover, my washers where regular sized. I see people putting bigger washers along with normal size washer. How big are the washers??

If you guys can really help would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!

Mark D
03-10-2016, 02:53 PM
I need some new bolts, washers for frame and body, and brake calipers. I also need some c-clips in Stainless for some of the fenders and quarter panels. Do they make those c-clips in stainless? Can't find anywhere.

1. Bolts and washers for Frame. I want to buy new fresh zinc plated bolts for the frame. http://store.delorean.com/p-9262-body-mtg-bolt-m10-x-30.aspx It is mentioned I should use M10 x 30mm long. I am buying bolts and washers from Bolt Depot.
Another question is when I separated the frame, I saw 2 washers fall down from rear of frame, and I believe there were another 2 sitting right under the body where the sway bar bolts on. Can someone let me know if this is correct, and if I missed other spots where washers have to be between the frame and body and what exact size washer, if they are M10 washers then will they be the extra large size or normal size?

2. Brake caliper Bolts and washers. Do I use just washers or lock washers as well?
Front Bolts are Zinc plated 10.9 half threaded M12 by how long and what size thread??
Rear Bolts are 7/16" UNF(Fine threaded) by how long? Half threaded or full threaded? Also this is where it gets trick for me as far as Grade. Is Zinc Plated Grade 5 steel good enough or do I have to go to grade 8?? https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts.aspx?nv=l

3. Fuel tank cover, my washers where regular sized. I see people putting bigger washers along with normal size washer. How big are the washers??

If you guys can really help would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!

My car is in storage at the moment so I don't think I can help much as far as actually measuring bolts...

Did you lose all this hardware and that's why you're replacing it? If you still have the original hardware and it's just rusty it may be cheaper and easier to have it re-plated in zinc. I sent all my hardware to DMCMW and they have a local plating company that does small batches. I did every nut, bolt and washer on my frame, and all the brackets, calipers, etc. For just a few piece of hardware it should be inexpensive and then you know you've got the correct hardware.

If you're missing bolts and washers and need to replace it then it may take some additional work to find the correct sizes and thread pitch for each bolt. Let us know and I'm sure someone here can measure.

For thread pitch, if you have the original hardware just take it with you to the hardware store and match the threads up to a known bolt/thread and confirm what each thread pitch is. For length, hex head bolts are measured from under the head of the bolt to the end of the fastener.

If you have to replace the caliper bolts use 10.9 grade for the fronts (metric) and grade 8 for the rears (SAE). I don't think I'd trust going down a grade on something critical as brake parts.

1batt4u
03-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Where do I send them to re-plate all bolts? How much will it cost?

David T
03-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Where do I send them to re-plate all bolts? How much will it cost?

Careful having bolts plated. Too much on the threads and then they won't work anymore. Besides, it is probably cheaper to just replace rather than replate unless originality is important. To try doing it yourself, Eastwood sells cleaning and plating stuff (eastwood.com). On the bolts for the fuel tank, the length of the bolts and the thickness and # of the washers is very important. If the bolts go too far they will damage the hoses that run along the frame. Most of the hardware is of non-critical use but the highly stressed ones have to be better than ordinary stuff. Bolts used in suspension or brakes will be grade 5 or better.

1batt4u
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Its not important whats so ever to re-plate old bolts, lol. I just want new bolts and washers, since I am going all out on the restoration. New bolt goes for around $0.75 cents. It is worthless to ship in old bolts pay money to re-plate. lmao.

1batt4u
03-10-2016, 10:43 PM
So what answers do you guys have for me??

I need to order ASAP, can not leave car in that condition.

1batt4u
03-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Didn't think it would be so difficult for something so simple.

None of the vendors can't help out, even though I've spent several thousand dollars with each of the 5 different vendors I've done business with?

David T
03-11-2016, 11:43 AM

None of the vendors can't help out, even though I've spent several thousand dollars with each of the 5 different vendors I've done business with?

One of the biggest places I have found for all kinds of hardware is Mr G's Enterprises. You can find that at mrgusa.com. Or call Sheriff Bob at 919-477-7516. He parts out a lot of Deloreans and should have plenty of hardware.

Mark D
03-11-2016, 11:52 AM
DMC Midwest replated every single piece of hardware on my chassis, and all my exhaust brackets, wheel hubs, brake calipers, fuel filler neck etc. Total price including shipping both ways was $180. I have no idea what it would cost if I had done only the hardware, but I also had two different types of zinc plating done which contributed to the cost. Clear zinc for the hardware and yellow for the rest. Yellow dichromate is thicker so it's not recommended to plate threaded fasteners. The clear chromate zinc works perfectly for nuts, washers, bolts, etc.

Here are a few photos of everything I had plated. It was much MUCH cheaper to re-plate everything then buy new nuts, bolts, and washers in the correct sizes. Some of the longer suspension pivot bolts would have been a few bucks each and are non standard lengths. Some of the other hardware is DeLorean specific like locking tab brackets on the brake calipers, ratcheting ebrake adjustment hardware, locking wheel hub nuts, etc. To just do hardware you're probably looking at around 50-75 bucks once you factor in shipping both ways. I sent everything in large USPS flat rate boxes that have a 70lb weight limit per box.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40743&d=1457714987

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40744&d=1457714988

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40745&d=1457714989

Rich_NYS
03-11-2016, 12:37 PM

I'm trying to help ya man....I posted a few pics in reply to your thread on Today. If I still have the bolts you need measured, I'll check 'em asap.

I'll also check the body bolts as well.

dn010
03-11-2016, 01:44 PM
When I replaced my frame bolts I ordered M10X1.5X30(or 40 where required) steel 10.9 grade finished in clear zinc, I ordered them from Mr Metric just google the name. The 1.5 thread was the only option when it came to "Metric Hex Head Bolts", "Steel Grade 10.9 Zinc".

Compared to the price of "NOS" or whatever replacement bolts DMCH was selling it was far cheaper. Keep in mind, if it matters to you - original frame bolts had a pointed end in order to help make threading the bolt/nut easier. The replacements were flat but I had 0 issues threading them.

EDIT: Body to Frame bolts only is what I am referring to.

DMCMW Dave
03-11-2016, 01:53 PM

I'll take this one since I'm not 100% a vendor anymore. I'm not trying to be harsh but am trying to explain why you don't see fast answers.

1 -The question is too broad. There are probably 5 different size bolts used on the frame. The brakes have 2 sizes of bolt that holds the caliper together and two more sizes that hold them to the car. The gas tank hardware varies slightly with VIN.

2 -We don't necessarily know the specs of every nut and bolt offhand. We stock them as part numbers, or in a loose bin by size (not application), so to answer your question it would require pulling parts off the shelf and measuring them. So you can then go buy them somewhere else. Not really a good business plan. You could be (and are) asking for hours of work. If you really need this level of assistance, you should contact the vendor you do the most business with rather than tossing it on a message board.

Non-numbered/non-specific hardware orders are quite honestly probably the biggest pain for vendors. A phone call/email to "send me all the bolts that hold the brake system together" is one that will take a lot of work to pull together for a relatively small order, Supplying the hardware specifications would be another round of engineering work. I've always been willing to do this for customers buying parts, I figured it's part of the business/creates goodwill, and over time they would make some "easy" orders that would balance things out. Not everyone will bother with this.

When I restored my own car (a long time ago) I took samples of the hardware off the car and went down to Ace Hardware and matched things up. Probably 20 trips. That's honestly what happens in the shop as well except that the bolts are in a bin in the shop instead of the hardware store. But they are not binned by location on the car, rather by size! There are a few oddball parts (things like 7mm hardware, thick washers etc.) that are harder to come by. Those you'll need to actually measure and order from a hardware company, or drive over to Rob's and buy them.

dn010
03-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Scroll down the page linked below and you'll have your frame bolt answers. Like Dave said above, aside from the actual main body to frame bolts, I went to Lowes and cleaned out every divided drawer in their metric section. Both stainless & Zinc, cost hundreds but I had/have everything for my frame/car restoration + more for future projects.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2964-Many-questions-about-galvanization/page4

1batt4u
03-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I'm trying to help ya man....I posted a few pics in reply to your thread on Today. If I still have the bolts you need measured, I'll check 'em asap.

I'll also check the body bolts as well.

Thank you!!

1batt4u
03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Scroll down the page linked below and you'll have your frame bolt answers. Like Dave said above, aside from the actual main body to frame bolts, I went to Lowes and cleaned out every divided drawer in their metric section. Both stainless & Zinc, cost hundreds but I had/have everything for my frame/car restoration + more for future projects.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2964-Many-questions-about-galvanization/page4

Thank you! appreciate it!!!

Rich_NYS
03-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Body bolt thread size is 1.50:

The only place I found washers between the frame & body was the rearmost bolt (horizontal into the pontoon,) there are two on each side of my car. It was tough to get a good pic, but I think you can see it here:

and I believe there were another 2 sitting right under the body where the sway bar bolts on.

Not sure what you mean; the sway bar doesn't bolt to the body, and the body doesn't bolt to the frame in the area of the sway bar.

1batt4u
03-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Thank you! I appreciate the help!!

When I wrote sway bar, actually meant the rear sway bar, Crossbrace, in the engine compartment.

Not sure when I lifted the body off the frame there was a washer on each side sitting between frame and body.

Body bolt thread size is 1.50:

The only place I found washers between the frame & body was the rearmost bolt (horizontal into the pontoon,) there are two on each side of my car. It was tough to get a good pic, but I think you can see it here:

Not sure what you mean; the sway bar doesn't bolt to the body, and the body doesn't bolt to the frame in the area of the sway bar.

Rich_NYS
03-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Thank you! I appreciate the help!!

When I wrote sway bar, actually meant the rear sway bar, Crossbrace, in the engine compartment.

Not sure when I lifted the body off the frame there was a washer on each side sitting between frame and body.

OK....sorry about that!

I have mine out now, I didn't have a washer between the frame & body there. If you need anything else, let me know...mine will be separated a bit longer.

1batt4u
03-14-2016, 11:06 PM
OK....sorry about that!

I have mine out now, I didn't have a washer between the frame & body there. If you need anything else, let me know...mine will be separated a bit longer.

Ok, sounds good!! Thank you again, really appreciate it dude!!