PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy joking?

Rob_In_Houston
03-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Hi all! I'm new here and live in the Houston area. I want to get a DeLorean soon and would like to find one nearby. This is the only one locally up on Craigslist. This has to be a joke ad. Is this one of you guys?
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5472425024.html

DMCVegas
03-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Nope, that's Chad's car, and I'm afraid he isn't joking about it.

BladeBronson
03-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Are you joking? If you're in Houston and looking for a DeLorean, go to DMC in Humble.

Chris 16409
03-10-2016, 08:18 PM
That DeLorean belongs to Chad Krause. He's been trying to poke fun at all the new build hype.

Rob_In_Houston
03-10-2016, 08:19 PM
He seems like an odd duck.

Rob_In_Houston
03-10-2016, 08:21 PM
>BladeBronson
I work from 8 to 530 every day. Can't make it.

>Chris 16409
That means its a joke?

Do you think he'd let me look at it on a weekend?

Lou and "Boo"
03-10-2016, 08:22 PM
He is an odd duck but I wouldn't trade Chad for the world. I have the utmost respect for Chad and I admire his uniqueness. He is one of the only owners I trust anymore.

Not to mention, he is also a TV star!!
JK - I've never been much for celebrities, but Chad is one of my BEST Delorean friends.

That car is an auto though, which isn't for me anyway.

Rob_In_Houston
03-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Is this Chad guy crazy? What is this setup that he shows in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFAOFerkL8 It looks like he has multiple cars. I want a stick.

Michael
03-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Is this Chad guy crazy? What is this setup that he shows in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFAOFerkL8 It looks like he has multiple cars. I want a stick.

Well in that case you need to ignore ads that you see or people you don't trust, sack up, and just go buy one that meets your requirements. Sketchy DeLorean ads are a dime a dozen, but if you aren't even interested in an auto, why worry about some craigslist ad?

Lou and "Boo"
03-10-2016, 09:19 PM
True Dat.

Real men drive manual.

Kidding !!!!

Rob_In_Houston
03-10-2016, 09:27 PM
I will email him and see if he will let me look at the car or sell me one of the many he has.

Michael
03-10-2016, 10:32 PM
I will email him and see if he will let me look at the car or sell me one of the many he has.

So you found a DeLorean that you are not the least bit interested in, and to boot it's in a Craigslist ad that looks fishy and in no way sounds legit, and your first impulse is to follow up on it.

Good luck in your Search. :rolleyes:

(PS, I know the owner, the car is real, there is one car only, he will take less...but you still don't want it because it's an auto...so why waste your time, and his?)

DMCMW Dave
03-10-2016, 11:38 PM
>BladeBronson
I work from 8 to 530 every day. Can't make it.

Call 'em. If you are a serious buyer they will wait around or come in Saturday.

mluder
03-10-2016, 11:39 PM
EDIT: ^^^ Dave beat me to it^^^
If you're serious about buying call DMC Houston and speak to James Espey.
I'm fairly certain he will make arrangements to let you check out their inventory on a time that works for you. (I can't guarantee of course... it but I know James and he's a good guy.)

Cheers
Steve

DMC-81
03-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Welcome Rob to the DeLorean community. I would echo contacting DMCH, and at least go look, and hopefully tour the place as part of your search. It's almost like getting to tour the factory and museum in Bowling Green, KY if you are searching for a Corvette.

After scouring the internet for a few months, I bought my car from Tony at DMCFL as a running restoration. I am happy with the deal, and the car. It was very helpful to meet the staff, ask questions, and see many Deloreans in the search.

I bought the majority of my parts from DMC Houston. All their people are great to deal with, whether it is questions on parts, buying parts, or service after the sale.

DMC gets five stars in my opinion.

Best of luck with your search!

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 10:35 AM
>Michael
I want to see one in person again. The last time I saw one was long ago. I E-mailed him about it and he said it's fine.

>DMCMW Dave
I don't think a De Lorean is worth 100k. I have no interest in paying more than 20k. I won't be buying from them.

>mldur
I won't pay 100k for a De Lorean. Why bother?

>DMC-81
I don't have the 100k that they want for a new car.

mr_maxime
03-11-2016, 11:45 AM
You do realize they still have used cars and that $20k wont really get you far right?

SProfita
03-11-2016, 11:46 AM
Carburetor setups are much more reliable, thus the price markup. You save that money in the long run vs. Another car when the kjet fails

DMCVegas
03-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Carburetor setups are much more reliable, thus the price markup. You save that money in the long run vs. Another car when the kjet fails

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/russianfist/troll-spray.gif

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 12:23 PM
>mr_maxime
They don't mention it on their website. What do you mean "$20k wont really get you far"

>SProfita
How do you like your carb?

Alan
03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
>mr_maxime
They don't mention it on their website.

Rob,

I'm not sure what the pricing on these is, but they aren't "new build" or "reproduction." These are used DeLoreans.
http://www.delorean.com/inventory-used.htm

I bought mine from DMC-MW and am very happy with it. I paid more than you'd probably like to, but I wasn't looking for a project or rolling restoration. I wanted something close to turn-key. I still didn't pay anywhere near $100k.

It sounds like some of the DMC affiliates will sell cars that still need some work. I don't know about Texas, but I'd certainly give them a try.

Alan

aotmfilms
03-11-2016, 12:46 PM
>Michael
I want to see one in person again. The last time I saw one was long ago. I E-mailed him about it and he said it's fine.

>DMCMW Dave
I don't think a De Lorean is worth 100k. I have no interest in paying more than 20k. I won't be buying from them.

>mldur

>DMC-81
I don't have the 100k that they want for a new car.

Going to chime in here.

They do have cars available for 20k, it depends on how much work you want to do

Because you may want to look at their stock of parts. I travelled to DMCMW not only to look at their cars but also to look at their parts supply. Also you want to get a feel for those people that will be supplying you parts. My example is an M16 without parts or ammo is just an expensive club. I factored in travel time and money into my search. For me it took me a year and $1,000 to find mine.

DMCH has a bigger stash. With any car you need to have a warm and fuzzy that there are parts available (mostly), and vendor knowledge out there should something happen. They may even let you test drive one, that will let you know if you want an automatic or a manual. For me having tried both and at age 45, I like my automatic.

I don't know everything about a D but they DO. (DPI, DMC's, Special T Auto, Grady etc.)

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
>Alan
I am not interested in any of the cars on their website. The only stick is worthless.

Delorean Industries
03-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Spending 20k will get you a third of the way there. Total investment will be 60k.

Spending 30k will get you 60% there.

Spending 40k will get you 80-85% there.

Spending 45-50K will get you 90% reliably but will still require some sorting.

Obviously there are exceptions to this but the good deals are always picked up by the big three. ( DMC, DPI, SHARKEY) Between the three its safe to average 150+ cars purchased a year.

The community/private sector seems to get sloppy seconds consistently.

Michael
03-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Sounds like he wants a 40k car but is only willing to spend 20k.

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 03:49 PM
I have never said that I want a perfect car. I want to spend up to 20k on a manual car. These cars do not sell for more than 25k to 30k. I can get a nice car for 20.

Mark D
03-11-2016, 04:20 PM
I don't see you having any problem finding a decent running car in need of a few minor things in the 20k range. The market is on kind of an upswing lately but there are still deals to be had out there. DPI Josh's numbers would be for achieving a 'perfect' car, but that doesn't seem to be what you're after. You can spend 20K on a good condition car and put a few thousand more bucks into it in parts and with your own time and labor and have a really well sorted DeLorean.

As others have mentioned Chad's craigslist post is a playful knock at DMCH's announcement that they will be building reproduction DMC's next year for $100,000. I take it that he's half heartedly hoping someone will offer him or 40 grand to which he'd immediately accept and then turn around and buy another similar car for 20-25k.

At any given time my car is also for sale to anyone willing to pay a ridiculous amount above its actual value.

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 05:04 PM
>Mark D
Thank you. It was looking like De Lorean owners were all crazy.

mluder
03-11-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't see you having any problem finding a decent running car in need of a few minor things in the 20k range. The market is on kind of an upswing lately but there are still deals to be had out there. DPI Josh's numbers would be for achieving a 'perfect' car, but that doesn't seem to be what you're after. You can spend 20K on a good condition car and put a few thousand more bucks into it in parts and with your own time and labor and have a really well sorted DeLorean.

This I agree with totally. I think Josh's numbers are a little high but also probably reflect the cost of labor.
I bought my car for low 20s - incidentally all the specs you want and about 8,000 miles on it. It ran decent but had a lot of little things wrong with it that needed attention. However, I probably spent less than $4,000 on it over the almost 4 years I've had it. Most of the work I did myself (engine bay rehab/repaint which included tearing down the engine and replacing all the gaskets and o-rings etc). The big stuff (new clutch, body work) was done at DMCNW. If I sold it today I'd easily get 30,000 for it.

That said - if you want a 20K car you will have some work to do. Based on your posts so far, I don't think you really want a car. Or your expecting too much for your money. The car you describe is in the upper 20s to 30K.

But don't take my word for it. What do I know, I just own one.

Cheers
Steven

Delorean Industries
03-11-2016, 05:37 PM
>Mark D
Thank you. It was looking like De Lorean owners were all crazy.

We are. Some of us just don't hide it very well anymore.

DMCVegas
03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
We are. Some of us just don't hide it very well anymore.

We're not all crazy, but we're all definitely eccentric in some way.

mr_maxime
03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
You might be able to find a good running manual car under $20k but youre going to be looking for a while. What owner isnt going to want to sell his car at a premium knowing the reproductions will cost $100k? Chad won't be the only owner upselling the "originality" while mentioning how much cheaper it is than the reproduction.

For what you are looking for your best bet will be painted cars. I bought my painted manual for $21.5K and it ran ok.

Rob_In_Houston
03-11-2016, 08:23 PM
I don't want a perfect car. I care about what I pay for the car. I know which end of a wrench is up. I want a driving car. No paint. I will see what Chad has to say tomorrow. He knows a lot.

sdg3205
03-11-2016, 08:47 PM
I don't want a perfect car. I care about what I pay for the car. I know which end of a wrench is up. I want a driving car. No paint. I will see what Chad has to say tomorrow. He knows a lot.

It's good you have a ceiling, to a certain extent. But a running car is just that. Do you want a stopping car? A safe car? A reliable car? 20k is a great start but you're probably not going to get the rest of the package without more time and money... probably a good chunk of it, like Steve said. Hell, I think my car is in great shape, probably worth 35k and my fuel pump voltage dropped over night. Now I have a 35k non runner. See where I'm going with this?! Soooooo why not pay 25k and be that further ahead with a car in better shape?

5-10 years ago yeah, 20k and you'd be in a pretty good place, but prices on project cars have almost doubled.

I wish you the best rob.

Rich_NYS
03-11-2016, 10:02 PM
5-10 years ago yeah, 20k and you'd be in a pretty good place, but prices on project cars have almost doubled.

I wish you the best rob.

+1

I shopped for a 5-speed for two years: from before I bought my first DeLorean (automatic) in Jan 2013, until I bought 4728 (5-speed.) If I had come across a nice, decent-running 5-speed, with a good frame for <$20K I would've bought it immediately.

The closest I came was a car James Wallace had for around 22K-23K (I think)...that was before 2015. The only other one I can think of that was <20K is the squirrel car that was on eBay and I bid on it. There have been other <$20K 5-speeds in the past 3 years(that I would've bought,) and they lasted ~1-3 hours. Watching the market very closely, I decided to buy 4728 in 2015 for [what I believed to be] a 2016 price....so far, it appears I'm on track.

I think this category of car is becoming more scarce and I say: if patience & time is on your side, you just need to be in the right place at the right time (that includes being onsite first, or bidding last.) Something Rob has on his side that I didn't: he's much closer to a heavier concentration of cars....also cars that didn't live in the Northeast.

FWIW, if I see a nice, decent-running 5-speed, with a good frame for <$20K it'll likely be a candidate for becoming my third DeLorean purchase.

Lou and "Boo"
03-11-2016, 10:53 PM

'Eccentric' is the new 'Crazy'....

:8ball:

:mallet:

:greedo:

Peripatetic
03-11-2016, 11:53 PM
It takes an eccentric to buy a car with doors that open the wrong way.

Iznodmad
03-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Anyone else think this is "theMonch" reincarnated? Wasn't that the handle of a guy a few years back that wanted a nice Delorean for next to nothing?

sdg3205
03-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Anyone else think this is "theMonch" reincarnated? Wasn't that the handle of a guy a few years back that wanted a nice Delorean for next to nothing?

No, because the Monch said a used Delorean was only worth $5,000 or some batshit crazy price like that.

Rob_In_Houston
03-13-2016, 09:35 AM
It was nice to meet Chad yesterday. I learned a lot from him. He thinks I can find what I want and is willing to help me learn to fix it.

content22207_2
03-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Anyone else think this is "theMonch" reincarnated?

An account with the same name on DMCToday is using proxy servers. Administrators have been watching it jump from server to server. Most of them suspect it's a Chad Krause troll account.

I'm not saying it is -- only that is the prevailing theory among DMCToday admins.

Bill Robertson

content22207_2
03-13-2016, 10:40 PM
If Chad Krause has in fact created a troll account impersonating this forum's user, he should complain to DMCToday administrators without delay. Chad recently did that to me: creating DMCToday account content22207_2 and posting messages as if they had come from me. Admins very quickly spotted the IP adress, plus Chad did a very bad job impersonating my writing style.

Chad finally confessed to impersonating my Talk account in Post #8:
http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?2103-Is-NightFlyer-a-Good-Admin&p=51136&viewfull=1#post51136

Pretty bonkers actually.

Bill Robertson

KaleyTapia
03-16-2016, 02:50 AM
one of the most iconic car brands.. totally revolutionized car designs (http://www.delorean.com/)!

mluder
03-16-2016, 05:34 PM
one of the most iconic car brands.. totally revolutionized car designs (http://www.delorean.com/)!

Hello, Robot...

Cheers
Steve

mluder
03-16-2016, 06:12 PM

No... But I'm starting to agree with others that this is Chadd reincarnated.
Looks like he couldn't stay away.

Cheers
Steven

content22207_2
03-16-2016, 07:47 PM
There is a small amount of reverse migration, myself included.

Bill Robertson

DMCVegas
03-17-2016, 12:43 PM
There is a small amount of reverse migration, myself included.

Bill Robertson

What? You mean the unregulated Troll's Paradise didn't work out?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/25/250fbbb8f6be098b4f732bb3e919b15e1d7363ee1ec3adbeb9 38a560edfe8275.jpg

aotmfilms
03-17-2016, 03:41 PM
I have never said that I want a perfect car. I want to spend up to 20k on a manual car. These cars do not sell for more than 25k to 30k. I can get a nice car for 20.

WHERE??? (Can you get a nice one for 20k?) Not to be mean but...no you won't.:elmo1:

--Doug

aotmfilms
03-17-2016, 03:49 PM

+1