PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Door, fender and rear window seals

DMC VIN 6639
03-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know if there is an alternate source for the door seals fender seals and rear window seals other than Houston? I assume these are off the shelf somewhere. I am trying to restore 6639 and all seals are shot. Thanks

81dmc
03-16-2016, 10:58 PM
You can buy custom inner seals from McMaster Carr, but for everything else, I recommend buying from Houston.

Also, was your car the GM v6 on ebay awhile back? The one that came with extra doors, driveshafts, etc?

SS Spoiler
03-17-2016, 07:22 AM
I seem to remember that a trunk lid gasket from a 1984 Ford
Granada fit well.....

David T
03-17-2016, 09:11 AM
All of the Delorean vendors offer these parts. Each offers something slightly different. If you go looking for things that fit you will be disappointed because it is difficult to find stuff that fits and also works correctly as far as thickness, height, and durometer. The vendors have already done that and there is no minimum quantity, you only have to buy what you need. If you are restoring a car you probably need a whole bunch of other stuff only found easily at a vendor anyway, like struts, filters, etc. Often it is easier and cheaper to just buy what you need from the vendors rather than waste time and money trying to find substitutes locally.

Josh
03-17-2016, 05:11 PM
If you are restoring a car you probably need a whole bunch of other stuff only found easily at a vendor anyway, like struts, filters, etc. Often it is easier and cheaper to just buy what you need from the vendors rather than waste time and money trying to find substitutes locally.

This is what I have found. You usually end up paying more in the long run cross referencing things, if you look at the project vixen website he covers this well.

Not to say that i don't cross reference, my car doesnt have much delorean left in it mechanically speaking, but things like weather stripping is not worth it.

DMC VIN 6639
03-17-2016, 09:22 PM
You can buy custom inner seals from McMaster Carr, but for everything else, I recommend buying from Houston.

Also, was your car the GM v6 on ebay awhile back? The one that came with extra doors, driveshafts, etc?

Which seals do you consider as the "inner seals"?

Yes, I ended up with it. I wish I could track down the previous to previous owner and find out more about the history on the car. It needs lots of love. Should be fun to rebuild.

81dmc
03-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Which seals do you consider as the "inner seals"?

Those are the bulb seals that sit on a fiberglass lip and are closest to the interior.

BTW, it's great that you're saving a DeLorean that could of possibly been lost...

PJ Grady Inc.
03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know if there is an alternate source for the door seals fender seals and rear window seals other than Houston? I assume these are off the shelf somewhere. I am trying to restore 6639 and all seals are shot. Thanks
We would be a good alternate source as we've been making our own versions of the T-Roof, A & B post and Surround seals for close to twenty years now. They've proven to be more durable than the originals or anyone else's for that matter. Here are a couple pics (taken today) of a car in our shop that we had replaced the surround and A/B Post seals on in 2003. That's about 13 years ago and they still look like new. I will admit the car is a pampered garage queen but still....it pays to buy quality! BTW I hand cut all of our A/B Post seals for a perfect fit which is much easier to do correctly with practice. I believe everyone else's comes uncut forcing you to guess where to make the proper cuts.
Rob
2 20160317_125447 20160317_125620.jpg (103.4 KB).jpg (111.3 KB)0160317_125433.jpg (104.9 KB)
I know these pictures are upside down and this is the only place I send pictures to that this happens. I can't find any tools to correct this. Can anyone advise?

DMCMW Dave
03-18-2016, 03:58 PM
The door seals are unique to the car. There have been cross-refs to the inners over the years, but any of the regular vendors are selling "custom" seals (not all from the same maker). You can often spot the crossovers as the vent holes will be on the wrong side, i.e. toward the inside of the car rather than the outside. Not a big deal unless you get water inside the open area inside the seal.

PJ Grady Inc.
03-18-2016, 04:12 PM
The door seals are unique to the car. There have been cross-refs to the inners over the years, but any of the regular vendors are selling "custom" seals (not all from the same maker). You can often spot the crossovers as the vent holes will be on the wrong side, i.e. toward the inside of the car rather than the outside. Not a big deal unless you get water inside the open area inside the seal.
Actually Kapac made a large batch of the seals with the vent holes facing outboard in the 80's but sold out the inventory before making the next batch correctly. Maybe that's what you are referring to Dave?
Rob