PDA

View Full Version : Map Program to Post Member Locations

lazabby
04-12-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm looking for a map program so I can create a database with just zip codes and maybe a little bit of information. The Map needs to display pins or flags or whatever they're called on the zip codes on the map. This will be intergrated with a website. Anyone know of a program that can do that?

FABombjoy
04-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Google Maps API supports user-defined location pins. You would need to convert ZIP to lat/lon but then it's a fairly simple matter to set up & call the map with a list of predefined locations.

Google maps supports on the fly geocoding (converting addresses to lat/lon) but there are usage limits and I would avoid doing that. Instead write a database handler to geocode & save lat/lon on any ZIP code or record update.

There are many many all-in-one handlers for Google Maps API, many of which are built on libraries like jQuery, but I can't speak to any of them.

skill
04-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Mapmuse.com could do it for ya. Not sure if you set it from public to private though. Seems like it would pin members for you. I used a similar code to pinpoint restaurant units for a company i was IT for.

DMCMW Dave
04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
I'm looking for a map program so I can create a database with just zip codes and maybe a little bit of information. The Map needs to display pins or flags or whatever they're called on the zip codes on the map. This will be intergrated with a website. Anyone know of a program that can do that?

The super industrial strength commercial program is MapInfo Pro. Problem is the software starts at $2000. Typical user is someone like the site engineering department at a Cell Operator. I'm sure there are much cheaper alternatives out there.

Cory W
04-12-2016, 11:41 PM
The Corvette C7 group of a Corvette forum I belong to use this:

https://www.zeemaps.com/

Their specific setup and layout:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=693615

lazabby
04-13-2016, 03:50 PM
I appreciate all the responses. I think the comments will help get what's needed.