PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C SOLVED not enough cool air from the A/C for the driver

Lenny
04-15-2016, 11:26 AM
I just discovered a way to have the driver a lot more comfortable with the A/C. I say discovered but really it was an accident. I kicked the drivers side A/C door seal off as I was getting in the car.

There is a LOT more cool air on my legs.

TAKE THAT DAMN THING OFF

DMCVegas
04-15-2016, 11:42 AM
That seal you're talking about is designed to force as much air into the Door Vents as possible. So for that, you actually NEED to leave the seal in place.

Having said that however...

The problem with the door vents is that basically the internal ductwork within the door curves around and flares open. The vent that you see is suspended in the middle of this by the door trim. It looks like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_htypRt8PMSI/TAZAkS_5jtI/AAAAAAAAAEc/kU3Qi86iy6A/s1600/P1050521.jpg

In order to force all of the air into the vent opening, the factory utilized a foam rubber gasket to slide in between the vent and the duct. The problem however is two-fold:

That gasket probably rotted away about 15 year ago.
The damn gasket may not have been been installed by the factory properly in the first place.

Otherwise, as you can see, there is a HUGE gap between the duct and the vent assembly. Meaning that you're just pumping cold air into the inside of the door. Myself, after aligning the vent to the duct, I sprayed a nice, thick layer of expanding insulation foam. The kind that you use for window frames and where external plumbing enters into your home. After it set up, I came back a few hours later and just used an Xacto knife to trim the foam back.

With all of the air now being properly directed out of the vents, it makes a HUGE difference. It will keep you nice and cold in the summer, and toasty in the winter. Otherwise it gets chilly as all hell with that glass next to your face, and thanks to a lack of external paint, the body panels get VERY cold and can leach heat out fast.

Take the time, address the ductwork, and you'll be thankful that you did.

dn010
04-15-2016, 01:44 PM
+1, I used RTV sealant for mine probably a decade ago when I was having issues with airflow to the doors. Although my gaps were not as bad as pictured, they were still there.

That seal you're talking about is designed to force as much air into the Door Vents as possible. So for that, you actually NEED to leave the seal in place.

Having said that however...

The problem with the door vents is that basically the internal ductwork within the door curves around and flares open. The vent that you see is suspended in the middle of this by the door trim. It looks like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_htypRt8PMSI/TAZAkS_5jtI/AAAAAAAAAEc/kU3Qi86iy6A/s1600/P1050521.jpg

In order to force all of the air into the vent opening, the factory utilized a foam rubber gasket to slide in between the vent and the duct. The problem however is two-fold:

That gasket probably rotted away about 15 year ago.
The damn gasket may not have been been installed by the factory properly in the first place.

Otherwise, as you can see, there is a HUGE gap between the duct and the vent assembly. Meaning that you're just pumping cold air into the inside of the door. Myself, after aligning the vent to the duct, I sprayed a nice, thick layer of expanding insulation foam. The kind that you use for window frames and where external plumbing enters into your home. After it set up, I came back a few hours later and just used an Xacto knife to trim the foam back.

With all of the air now being properly directed out of the vents, it makes a HUGE difference. It will keep you nice and cold in the summer, and toasty in the winter. Otherwise it gets chilly as all hell with that glass next to your face, and thanks to a lack of external paint, the body panels get VERY cold and can leach heat out fast.

Take the time, address the ductwork, and you'll be thankful that you did.

Henrik
04-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Yep, I used to have the world's best air conditioned door insides but after sealing the duct gaps with spray foam (like Robert explained) it all works as intended now.

Drive Stainless
04-15-2016, 02:37 PM
The problem with using the expanding foam is that it makes servicing the components impossible. The door vents are a fragile part. Replacing them will be extremely problematic if they are encased in foam.

Instead, this is a better option:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1441-Sealing-up-door-vents-for-better-airflow

If/when the door vent needs replacing, the silicone & backer rod can simply be pulled out and replaced at the same time.

sdg3205
04-15-2016, 03:02 PM
OR,

remove the damn ducting to the drivers and passenger door, then seal the damn exits from the HVAC box. Now you'll take it 100% in the face (waits for Opethmike) out the middle vents instead of loosing capacity to the doors.

DMCVegas
04-15-2016, 06:51 PM
The problem with using the expanding foam is that it makes servicing the components impossible. The door vents are a fragile part. Replacing them will be extremely problematic if they are encased in foam.

Not at all. You can easily cut the material out with just a small blade. The Xacto knife that you use to trim the foam works beautifully to cut/shave it away to easily remove it. So if you had to replace the vent, that is an absolute non-issue. You can't peel foam off, no. But it very easily slices and shaves off.

Instead, this is a better option:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1441-Sealing-up-door-vents-for-better-airflow

If/when the door vent needs replacing, the silicone & backer rod can simply be pulled out and replaced at the same time.

Bro, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. There is no detailed description, and I can't see photos. If there is a better solution, I'm absolutely all ears and eyes and would genuinely love to hear it.

OR,

remove the damn ducting to the drivers and passenger door, then seal the damn exits from the HVAC box. Now you'll take it 100% in the face (waits for Opethmike) out the middle vents instead of loosing capacity to the doors.

http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10826&d=1357254515

I know that for lots of people, their cars are fun toys that they take out occasionally and enjoy. And furthermore lots of people live in balmy places, or cooler ones where they also may not drive their DeLorean all year round. That ain't me. Vegas is in my name for a reason, and the average temperatures I deal with vary from slightly above freezing, to triple-digits. And that's just within the LVV and doesn't account for the mountains nor Death Valley where the range gets pushed to even more extremes. So while redirecting all of the air to come out of the center vents might work well in other climates to just take the edge off, I need those side vents to fight off the nuclear ball of fire in the sky that roasts half of my face every day while I'm stuck in traffic. Or the bitter cold pressing against the window glass, sucking away all of the heat when I drive up into the mountains like a Dementor from Harry Potter.

I can tell you right now that even daily driving a DMC-12 with NO A/C in the Vegas summer time, just sealing the ducts makes a MASSIVE difference with cycling the air around to keep passengers cool. And in the winter it keeps the inside very cozy with a balanced temperature all the way around. Some people might be fine without using their vents, but for myself given the area I've always operated my car in, as well as others who are subject to such extremes, deleting those side vents simply isn't an option. I need them functional.

sdg3205
04-15-2016, 07:08 PM
I can say with absolute confidence that the centre vents are more than adequate for temperatures up into the mid 90s with a well maintained r-12 system. Beyond that I'll take your word for it.

Drive Stainless
04-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Not at all. You can easily cut the material out with just a small blade. The Xacto knife that you use to trim the foam works beautifully to cut/shave it away to easily remove it. So if you had to replace the vent, that is an absolute non-issue. You can't peel foam off, no. But it very easily slices and shaves off.

No one disputes that foam can be cut. It's your time to spend cutting foam for over an hour.

Bro, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at. There is no detailed description, and I can't see photos. If there is a better solution, I'm absolutely all ears and eyes and would genuinely love to hear it.

There is a detailed description:

"After adding "backer rod" foam all around the door vent, I generously applied black silicone completely around the top, and somewhat on the bottom of the vent-->duct joint:"

This is the conventional method used to caulk a window or door where there is a large gap. See http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-caulk-wide-cracks/

DMC-81
04-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Interesting! I'll check those before I put my panels back on. If the gaps are not too wide, would duct tape also be a solution? That would be a rare time I used it for it's intended purpose. :smile:

David T
04-15-2016, 09:54 PM
On one car I fixed the A/C on, the door was leaking so bad ice was forming on the outside door skin! Sealing the duct to the vent makes a BIG difference but the problem I see is that no matter how you aim it you can't get it to blow air on the driver or passenger. A long time ago someone offered a clear plastic cover that fit over the vent and helped to aim it a little better. Haven't seen them in years. As for the center vents, make sure the boot connecting them is fitted properly or you wind up with a very cool radio and not so cool passenger compartment.

Nicholas R
04-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm currently in the "have all air come through the center" club. I love it more than using door vents, I just wish we could get blanking plates or something to replace the door vents with so people don't wonder why air isn't coming out. Maybe I'll look into having something 3D printed.

81dmc
04-18-2016, 09:33 PM
On one car I fixed the A/C on, the door was leaking so bad ice was forming on the outside door skin!

So, I guess traveling through time leaves all that foam in the past, eh?

Perhaps this was the car?
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/1/11/Arrival1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080210065704

David T
04-18-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm currently in the "have all air come through the center" club. I love it more than using door vents, I just wish we could get blanking plates or something to replace the door vents with so people don't wonder why air isn't coming out. Maybe I'll look into having something 3D printed.

Actually DMCH has them.

81dmc
04-18-2016, 10:25 PM
I wish there was a "kit" to reroute the air vents to the knee pads. It could be much more professional than installing hose.

Nicholas R
04-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Actually DMCH has them.

Are you talking about the round plates that you stick into the ducting holes in the knee pads? Because that's not what I'm referring to. I mean actually remove the vent from the door so there is no longer a vent, and replace it with a rectangular blanking plate. If this does exist, I'm interested. I've never seen one though; I've only seen the round ones that go in the ducting.

81dmc
04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Are you talking about the round plates that you stick into the ducting holes in the knee pads? Because that's not what I'm referring to. I mean actually remove the vent from the door so there is no longer a vent, and replace it with a rectangular blanking plate. If this does exist, I'm interested. I've never seen one though; I've only seen the round ones that go in the ducting.

Would have been nice if somebody could professionally make them, but for now, I filled my vents with 3m plastic adhesive. I'm using them to mount lock and window switches.