PDA

View Full Version : General DELOREAN near boston craigslist

jamesvnz
04-19-2016, 03:43 AM
saw this looks about right for price

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5545756000.html

OverlandMan
04-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Very little info provided. Seems fishy considering that and the seemingly low price in contrast with the pictures. I'm calling it a scam but maybe I'm wrong.

cdrusn
04-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Something ain't right. Check title very closely for rebuilt salvage as in a flood in Houston. :thumbdown:

DMCVegas
04-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Something ain't right. Check title very closely for rebuilt salvage as in a flood in Houston. :thumbdown:

As you saying that this IS a Salvage Title, or that you only suspect it is?

Lwanmtr
04-21-2016, 04:34 AM
Aside from little info in the ad, I dont really see anything that says scam or salvage. At least it doesnt say they're selling for their cousin who's a prince in africa.

Dangermouse
04-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Is it so difficult to state "runs like a dream" or "hasn't run in X years" in an ad?

If it's the former, then it is underpriced (assuming clean title), if it the latter, then it's probably well priced.

Woj
04-21-2016, 08:02 PM
Immediately dropped the price to 13,500 and said he had the original title signed by his dead grandfather. Said I would have to have an official death certificate to transfer the title in PA. Said he wasn't going to go through all that work!!! I had the Carfax ran and it seemed to check out, but he said I wasn't allowed to start it until I gave him all the money bc the car has been sitting. Told him that wasn't going to happen for that amount and it would have to be priced as a none running car. Who sells a car and doesn't let the potential buyer at least start the thing. If anyone has any info on Buddy Smiths project DeLorean can they let me know if it's still available. I was told by Rich W. That it might still be around. But I'd run from this guy...seems like a HUGE trap.

Lwanmtr
04-21-2016, 08:20 PM
That does seem odd. If he knows it doesnt run, then yeah price it as a non runner. I paid 13k for mine, non-running and needin' work...but the guy at least spent a couple days with me trying to get it going, so I didnt mind.

Rich_NYS
04-21-2016, 08:50 PM
I had the Carfax ran and it seemed to check out, but he said I wasn't allowed to start it until I gave him all the money bc the car has been sitting.

What's the VIN?

I spoke to him earlier today also; if I understood him correctly, he mentioned there's someone coming Saturday with an offer that sounded higher than the 13.5 he mentioned to you, but I'm not exactly sure.

RamblinDMC
04-21-2016, 10:30 PM
Mudflaps on a DeLorean? Weird!

Lwanmtr
04-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Those mudflaps make it a soooper rare car....everyone will want them

mburshtain
04-22-2016, 12:35 AM
BTW, I have two DMC mudflats which I know nothing about. Does anyone have more information on who made them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woj
04-22-2016, 08:28 AM
What's the VIN?

I spoke to him earlier today also; if I understood him correctly, he mentioned there's someone coming Saturday with an offer that sounded higher than the 13.5 he mentioned to you, but I'm not exactly sure.

I was one of the first people to talk to him and he was going to work exclusively with me to get a deal done. But after mentioning I would need additional paperwork (Official Death Certificate) to transfer the title he said if you want all of that then the price is 17k. I told him no thanks. Their was just too many red flags that went up during my conversations with Louie that didn't sit well with me. Mainly that it seemed like he was hiding something with the engine, since I wasn't allowed to start the car until I paid him in full. I spoke to Tom at DMC-FL and he said to run.

Dangermouse
04-22-2016, 10:17 AM
To be fair, if he knows that the car hasn't run in X years, and has done any research on the car, he should be aware that you should not try and start the engine before cleaning out the fuel system. Trying to start it will just make matters worse. If this is the case, then he is spot on, not allowing anyone to try and start it. Once you have paid for it, then yo can do what you like with it.

But he should be up front and say it is a non runner and price it accordingly, which I think it is.

Why do you need a a death cert, if I may ask? If the grandfather has signed the "sellers" part of the title, why does it matter? Would it not just be needed if the grandfather hadn't signed it?

DMCVegas
04-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Why do you need a a death cert, if I may ask? If the grandfather has signed the "sellers" part of the title, why does it matter? Would it not just be needed if the grandfather hadn't signed it?

Accountability in case of Fraud is why.

If something goes wrong with the car post sale, then the buyer has no legal recourse against the seller if their name isn't on the paperwork. So if the buyer is outright lied to and told something such as, "This was only a 1-owner vehicle", "it's never been in an accident", or whatever, and then the buyer comes back and finds out that these items are not true, they can sue the seller. Unless suddenly the seller is a dead grandfather.

Steve Lehto does a fantastic job explaining all of this: http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/been-ripped-off-breach-of-warranty-is-a-better-claim-t-1656536314

Woj
04-22-2016, 01:29 PM
To be fair, if he knows that the car hasn't run in X years, and has done any research on the car, he should be aware that you should not try and start the engine before cleaning out the fuel system. Trying to start it will just make matters worse. If this is the case, then he is spot on, not allowing anyone to try and start it. Once you have paid for it, then yo can do what you like with it.

But he should be up front and say it is a non runner and price it accordingly, which I think it is.

In PA for this particular instance it was explained to me that I would HAVE to have an Official Death Certificate in order complete the sale AND not a copy of one. When I asked him if he had any he said no and that he wasn't going through the trouble. He claimed to have 10 cars from his dead grandfather and he's already sold 8. Guy had an explanation for everything and wouldn't work with me to make the deal happen. He immediately said no and he would sell the car to someone else. Oh well.

Woj
04-22-2016, 01:38 PM

He claimed when he parked it 3 years ago it ran and he claims the motor turns. Carfax shows the car hasn't had any activity since 2005. Why not just drain the tank, put a battery in it and change the oil. Fire it up and then remove all doubt. That way you don't have to come across as hiding something. Just my two cents.

Shark Pilot
04-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Besides the fact that running here is a no-brainer, and I mean RUN brother, RUN, I'm SHOCKED that nobody has commented that this De Lorean was built IN THE FUTURE!! It's a 2017 De Lorean! How cool is that? This must add at least $15K to the price tag...maybe $20K! So here we have an iconic car, made an icon by a movie about time travel, and this car was built in the future...so it must have traveled back in time to be sold...in the future? Maybe not, but this is still awesome. Just awesome. :rofl:

Rich_NYS
04-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Sold to someone in Missouri...

Lwanmtr
04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Would be interesting to get the final report on the car from the guy who bought it..just to see what was wrong with it.

Rich_NYS
04-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Would be interesting to get the final report on the car from the guy who bought it..just to see what was wrong with it.

I didn't get the "it's a scam" vibe, I think it might've been a good find. I think we'll see it flipped or as a nice, light restoration.

Lwanmtr
04-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Me either..but Im just curious...lol

Rich_NYS
01-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Anybody hear anything else on this? VIN 1713....I'm curious to know how this turned out.