PDA

View Full Version : General Oil filter change interval?

todd1561
04-23-2016, 10:23 PM
I only drive my car about 1500 miles/year so I change the oil annually. Do you think it's necessary to change the filter each time too? Or can I get away with changing that say every other interval?

Thanks,
Todd

hmcelraft
04-23-2016, 10:46 PM
There are a several reasons you should. The old filter has about a half-quart of old oil in it and will just pollute the new oil - the old filter has moisture and contamination in it - it is one year old and - $10 bucks or so is cheap insurance. At one year you should change both oil and filter.

RichG
04-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Over the past 5 years, I've been at 500 miles or less per year. I'm going to bump that up to exercise the car (and enjoy it) more.

What oil do you gents recommend? Is it safe to use a local Jiffy Lube or similar establishment? I can't do it myself, but I have 4 or 5 unused oil filters in my trunk that I'd bring....

sdg3205
04-24-2016, 02:43 AM
What oil do you gents recommend?

NO!!! Please don't open that can of worms again. There was a HUGE discussion on this that covered every possible angle. Click here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13326-What-s-the-best-oil&highlight=zddp).

In the future, run a search and you'll probably find what you need ;)

todd1561
04-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks I'll just change it to be safe. I have a 6-pack of Bosch filters sitting here so you're right it's cheap insurance.

I'd add what I use for oil but I think Dave is right. I'll check that thread and see if what I use has already been recommended. :)

David T
04-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks I'll just change it to be safe. I have a 6-pack of Bosch filters sitting here so you're right it's cheap insurance.

I'd add what I use for oil but I think Dave is right. I'll check that thread and see if what I use has already been recommended. :)

A big danger if you skip changing the filter is forgetting when it was last changed and not changing it when you should. Besides the old oil still in the filter is any contamination it contains. If you are going to go through the trouble and expense of changing the oil there is not enough savings in not replacing the filter.