PDA

View Full Version : General Grandpas 488 Mile Delorean Questions..

neu-rich
05-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Well Grandpa Passed In February, Left Me His 1981 Delorean With 488.4 Miles, Gray Interior, 5 Speed.. ... Been Sitting Since 1986 (Last Tag On Plates) ... All Original, Have Bill Of Sale Also...
If You Were Going To Sell It Would You :

1. Wash, Clean And get In Running Condition ???
2. Leave Alone For New Buyer ???

Also Would You Auction Off Or List For Sale ???

Thanks
Jeff

OverlandMan
05-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Well Grandpa Passed In February, Left Me His 1981 Delorean With 488.4 Miles, Gray Interior, 5 Speed.. ... Been Sitting Since 1986 (Last Tag On Plates) ... All Original, Have Bill Of Sale Also...
If You Were Going To Sell It Would You :

1. Wash, Clean And get In Running Condition ???
2. Leave Alone For New Buyer ???

Also Would You Auction Off Or List For Sale ???

Thanks
Jeff

Cool inheritance! If you decide to keep it, there will be a host of things to do way before you try and start it up. Honestly you're looking at a decent pile of cash to get it running and driving and even more if you want it 100% sorted. Not trying to discourage you but be prepared to invest time and money.

If you decide to sell it, I would not do anything to it. Leave it just like it is. With the ultra-low mileage and the one-owner story, this would make for a unique sale that I would guess to bring top dollar to a collector. I would think an auction would get you the best audience for this. All my opinions of course and others may feel completely different. I'm also assuming the interior is flawless and there are no significant blemishes anywhere on the outside.

Dangermouse
05-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

I assume you have already decided to sell and not keep it.

Doubt if it will matter, price wise, whether it is clean or dusty, and it probably will surprise you but the low mileage won't greatly affect the price in a positive way, unless there is a collector out there who wants a low mileage example to put in a collection. The whole "barn find" phenomena doesn't appear to be applicable to D's. The biggest de-valuer is the condition of the steel frame underneath the car, but if this was stored in a dry barn, it is probably OK

You will get more money for a running car, but you need to have the money, or time/knowledge, to get it to run. In the meantime DON'T TRY AND START IT.

Simply by starting this thread, you will probably get a couple of offers

Could you share what State the car is in, and what the last 5 digits of the VIN are, please?

Pictures of the steel frame and the engine compartment will help evaluate what it is worth.

neu-rich
05-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Central Michigan ... 5360

David T
05-10-2016, 10:33 AM
It is worth a whole lot more if it runs but it can cost a lot to get it to run. If you don't have $10,000 to put into it just sell it as it is.

Mark D
05-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. If your grandpa willed the car to you he may have hoped that you would be the one in the family to keep it and get it running again. Before you decide to sell it consider what his reasons may have been for giving you the car. At the end of the day it's yours to sell but hopefully you've taken the time already to pause and think about keeping it.

If you decide to sell it you wouldn't have to get it running but I'd definitely clean it up and make it as presentable as possible. Some will say that leaving it as-is will increase it's desirability because it's untouched. I disagree and think that you would appeal to a much larger pool of buyers (and buyers that would be willing to pay more) if the car is cleaned up and detailed to perfection. Most buyers want to be able to see the actual condition of the car and envision being behind the wheel. A dust covered car with flat tires is a further leap away in their imagination than a car that has at least been cleaned up cosmetically.

If you decide to bring it back to running/driving condition you may have to invest a few thousand dollars but you'll make your money back and then some if you're able to sell it as a running, driving car.

The nostalgia in me hopes you consider keeping it though. A few years ago my wife's grandfather passed away and he willed me his 2001 Jeep Wrangler. The jeep itself isn't particularly noteworthy, other than we occasionally used it to do some 4 wheeling on his land when he was still around. The frame is rusted to hell and I've already spent a bunch of money repairing it. He gave it to me because he knew I liked working on cars and would be able to fix it up and enjoy it. I'm sure he wouldn't care if I sell it some day, but I'd plan on using that money towards something else that would be a reminder of him.

Rich_NYS
05-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. If your grandpa willed the car to you he may have hoped that you would be the one in the family to keep it and get it running again. Before you decide to sell it consider what his reasons may have been for giving you the car. At the end of the day it's yours to sell but hopefully you've taken the time already to pause and think about keeping it.

My condolences, and I totally agree with this as well.

If you can get connected with another owner in your area (you'll probably find one here) you can get a better assessment of the car, but also help to get you "connected" with this particular car.

Of course it's your car to do as you wish, but please consider keeping it. Every one of us here would love to be in this situation, I wish my car was previously owned by my grandfather....it would be that much more awesome.

Which part of Michigan? There are a some owners near Lansing who are highly knowledgeable and overall top-notch dudes.

neu-rich
05-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Well, Grandpa And I Have No Connection To The Car... I Have Other Things That Connected Us, 40 John Deere Tractors, Business, Projects We Did Together..
I Have No Kids To Leave Anything To So Ill Just Sell...

Rich_NYS
05-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Well, Grandpa And I Have No Connection To The Car... I Have Other Things That Connected Us, 40 John Deere Tractors, Business, Projects We Did Together..

The guys near Lansing will be able to help you further assess the car, let me know if you'd like contact info.

Bitsyncmaster
05-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Unless you do the work yourself, don't bother to get it running. If you have to pay labor cost your price increase my reduce the number of buyers that would do the work themselves to get it back on the road.

If the car was stored outside don't expect much more than $5,000 to $8,000. If it was stored in a dry inside area you can double those numbers.

Jonathan
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Mary from this thread might be interested in your car.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12913-DMC-nov-or-oct-81-build-date

Mary/Wayne or anyone else really, will have a lot of questions on the car's condition that you could likely help answer just by taking several more pictures and posting here.

Those areas would be (at least): the engine bay with the cover opened (various angles), the interior (various angles), the instrument cluster, centre console (radio, HVAC controls), behind the seats (in the fuse and relay areas and battery compartment if possible), inside the trunk area at the front of the car, and a variety of pictures from underneath (even if just you holding the camera down near the floor and taking them that way).

Andrew
05-10-2016, 12:09 PM
The guys near Lansing will be able to help you further assess the car, let me know if you'd like contact info.

I would certainly be willing to make a trip out there and provide a detailed assessment. PM if interested.

Andrew

Domi
05-10-2016, 02:40 PM
I'll try to keep it as much as I can, at least to be able to drive it a few miles and enjoy the car.
Then, you could decide what you want to do with the car, keep it or sale it, it's up to you ;)

Alan
05-10-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm not an expert but will offer opinions.

1) Don't get frustrated by so many of us trying to talk you into keeping it. You're on a DeLorean forum. We've drunk the cool aid. Separate those suggestions from the more technical details and glean what you can. (I'd also love to be in your position, but you've made up your mind)

2) As has been said, don't try to start it. You'll destroy the fuel injection system.

3) I'd clean it up before selling if I were you. I'd want to see a nice clean example.

4) Really into my opinions now... There are 2 kinds of people who might be interested in your car. Ones who want a relatively inexpensive project and ones who want a museum piece. To the inexpensive project crowd, it's a non-runner that will take a LOT of money and work to turn it into a good driver. They won't care about a low mileage premium. This is likely the much larger group. To the museum piece crowd, it's an ultra low mileage example. The folks will likely pay a lot more if the car is pristine. There are probably VERY few potential owners in this group.

As was already said, I'd carefully clean it up, see what the real, cosmetic condition is, and then see which might be your best target group to sell to.

There are always exceptions and these are only my opinions, but that's what I'd expect and how I'd proceed.

Mark D
05-10-2016, 04:08 PM
One other thing that may be helpful in determining if you want to sell it as a non-runner vs fixing up it up to driving condition would be to make a few phone calls to DMC Midwest or DMC Texas. They would be able to give you a ballpark estimate over the phone in raw parts cost what it would take to bring it back to driving condition and what they would charge to make the repairs if you weren't planning on doing the work yourself. I've often heard the figure of $1000 per year of storage, but that can swing wildly in either direction depending on how much care was taken to prep the car for storage.

DMC Midwest is located in Crystal Lake, IL which wouldn't be too far of a drive to trailer the car down for a full inspection of the car. If you aren't interested shipping the car anywhere you could take more photos of the engine bay, frame, suspension, relay/fuse compartment and other major mechanical components of the car and send them through email. It wouldn't be as detailed as an in person inspection but you'd get a pretty good idea of the costs you'd be looking at. There are plenty of people here on the forum too that could tell you a lot with more detailed photos.

With such low mileage your grandfather may have actually planned to store the car long term and drained fluids. You can access the fuel tank, brake master/clutch master cylinder with reasonable ease if you're interested in checking the condition of the fuel and hydraulic systems. The easiest things to check would be the oil dipstick and coolant overflow bottle to check the condition of any oil/coolant that may or may not be inside.

Silverbullet
05-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Sorry about Grandpa...

I heard you on the no connection to the car...You had and have other interests, that is fine, no guilt trip. Best for you just to be honest, take pics, and throw up on E-Bay and see who bites...You can always set a minimum you will take...

Craig

05-12-2016, 12:58 AM
I agree with everyone else. Don't both trying to get it running, it will be a bigger task than is worthwhile. You may want to have one of the DMC shops or affiliates sell it on consignment for you, they will be able to answer questions that will help the sale.

If it is not meaningful, sell it.. but just know that ten years from now you probably won't be able to buy it back (or one like it). If you are okay with that, take the $ and use it on something else.

I'm sorry about your loss. He has a hundred people here that woulda liked him for a family member :)

Jimmyvonviggle
05-12-2016, 01:39 AM

This is a strange comment. Am I the only one.

cdrusn
05-12-2016, 01:47 AM
A starting, running but not necessarily driving Delorean would be more than worth the $500 it might cost to at least see if it can run. Obviously the basic clean out the gas tank, buy a new fuel pump has to be done. Most likely it will start but will run rough due to stuck injectors. But if it decides to run your price just went up 50%. Most people in the forum have seen one restarted or done it ourselves and frankly people tend to over think it. Worst case it doesn't start and then you're just going to list it anyway for $12-$15,000. Low mileage Deloreans are not that rare but a running ultra low mileage one like yours might be would earn a premium. :race:

Mark D
05-12-2016, 08:33 AM
This is a strange comment. Am I the only one.

The way I understood that comment was the DeLorean didn't play any role in his relationship with his grandpa...they messed around with tractors, had a business and did other projects together. If the DeLorean has been sitting since '86 it's not like the two were joyriding in it together making memories.

In this case I can see how the DeLorean would probably be one of the first things to go since it doesn't hold much sentimental value compared to all the other stuff.

neu-rich
05-12-2016, 08:49 AM
The way I understood that comment was the DeLorean didn't play any role in his relationship with his grandpa...they messed around with tractors, had a business and did other projects together. If the DeLorean has been sitting since '86 it's not like the two were joyriding in it together making memories.

In this case I can see how the DeLorean would probably be one of the first things to go since it doesn't hold much sentimental value compared to all the other stuff.

Exactly.... The Tractors Were Our Main Thing, Restored And Wrenched On Them Together... Started In The Family Business At 13 Years Old, Bought Grandpa Out In 2001... Its All Good...

Have Had Lots Of Interest In The Car, Will Keep You Updated On The Out Come...

Thanks
Jeff

Rich_NYS
05-12-2016, 09:10 AM
A starting, running but not necessarily driving Delorean would be more than worth the $500 it might cost to at least see if it can run. Obviously the basic clean out the gas tank, buy a new fuel pump has to be done. Most likely it will start but will run rough due to stuck injectors. But if it decides to run your price just went up 50%.

Totally agree. The aforementioned Michigan guys would be right on top of this approach....Andrew being one of them.

That's how I interpreted it....

If it is not meaningful, sell it.. but just know that ten years from now you probably won't be able to buy it back (or one like it). If you are okay with that, take the $ and use it on something else.

I'm sorry about your loss. He has a hundred people here that woulda liked him for a family member :)

+1

powerline84
05-13-2016, 03:04 AM
Is this an Auto or a 5 speed?

neu-rich
05-13-2016, 09:07 AM
5 Speed Gray Interior..

DMCMW Dave
05-13-2016, 11:29 PM
If I were going to look at it, I'd be much more likely to put a strong offer on it if I could clearly see the stainless. I.E. yes, you should wash it. There is nothing quite as inconclusive as looking at a car in a dark barn with a thick coating of dirt on it. Really raises the risk factor i.e. lowers the value.

This will probably put more water in the gas tank but that damage was done decades ago anyway.

I agree with the other consensus, - unless you have lots of extra time and money don't try to start it. OTOH a known running car is certainly worth more than one that isn't, but you could easily be a couple thousand $$ from a running car depending on what it needs (basic tank stuff to complete FI system) and who does it. By running I mean the engine, this would still not be a driver (the cooling, brakes, and hydraulics are all bad too).

sdg3205
05-14-2016, 03:01 PM
I saw a car (and posted it for sale here on behalf of the window a number of years ago) that had sat since 1985. There was that classic vinegary old fuel smell in the garage. The car was in great shape but my biggest concern was the cooling system. I opened the cap and it looked like hardened jello. I could only imagine it was jello everywhere, including the block. Time does bad things to fluids in cars.

Andrew
05-14-2016, 08:02 PM
I just took a detailed look at 5360 and met with its owner Jeff. Most importently Jeff is an honest and reasonable guy. 5360 is a nice well-preserved barn find. I believe that the 488 mileage reading is accurate.

The original NCTs are barely worn, however they do show signs of dry rot consistent with 35 year old tires that have been sitting since 1986.
The stainless is in perfect shape as is the interior.
The leather is perfect and crack free.
As expected, the headliners are falling,and the carpets could use a vacuuming.
The frame is perfect and shows no sign of damage / rust.
I don't think there has been any water issues.
The engine compartment appears all original and untouched.
The engine oiI just took a detailed look at 5360 and met with its owner Jeff. Most importently, in my opinion, Jeff is an honest and reasonable guy. 5360 is a nice well-preserved barn find. I believe that the 488 mileage reading is accurate.

The original NCTs are barely worn, however the do show signs of dry rot consistent with 35 year old tires that have been sitting since 1986.
The stainless and glass are in perfect shape as is the interior.
The leather is perfect and crack free, no mold on the seats, center console or door panels.
Dash and binnacle are crack free.
The door struts have some charge!
As expected, the headliners are falling,and the carpets could use a vacuuming and have a few stains.
The frame is perfect and shows no sign of damage / rust.
I don't think there have been any water issues.
The shift lever moves to the left and right well...no signs of shift gate cable binding/rust.
The parking brake moves correctly (I only moved it enough to confirm that the cables aren't seized)
The engine compartment appears all original and untouched.
The engine oil is at the proper level and is clean.
The coolant header tank is empty.
The A/C compressor turns freely.
Brake fluid in master appears to be clean and clear.
The fuel filler is rust free, but there is a significant smell of varnished fuel.
The front end recall has been performed.
The fascias are fitted nicely...no gaps / eyebrows

There was a decent sized mouse nest in the relay compartment and it there was some odor of mouse pee in there but the wiring insulation appeared to be fully intact.
The fan fail relay was even still installed however the fuse cover was MIA.
With Jeff's permission I unplugged the RPM relay and fuse 7 to prevent inadvertent operation of the fuel pump.
The battery has already been removed.

I can't speak to the functionality of any electrical components nor did I try to turn the engine by hand.

In my opinion, 5360 is a really nice low mileage barn find that has sat in a concrete floored, water-tight pole barn since 1986.

I will try to post pictures later.

Andrew

powerline84
05-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Andrew,

Awesome! Thanks for looking at it for me.

Jimmy