PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Escutcheons are straight or have slight curvature to them?

Jonathan
05-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Is there a slight curvature in the escutcheons, or are they perfectly straight?

http://store.delorean.com/p-10409-escutcheons-lh-rh.aspx

I mean lengthwise, like if you looked at one positioned vertically. Say you had the door release handle end at "6 o'clock" and the end with the opening for the mirror switch at "12 o'clock", would the whole thing be straight from 6 - 12 o'clock, or would the top be slightly towards 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock, depending on which door's escutcheon you had? And then which way is it meant to curve for each door?

Michael
05-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Been ahwile since I have had mine out but I think they were straight but they sure look curved in the pic.

I am also just as 50% sure the left and right are the same, there is just a blocker plate for the mirror on the right.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Straight

Gregadeth
05-15-2016, 02:38 AM
Maybe they're supposed to be straight, but if I remember correctly both of mine had a slight curve to them, can't remember if those were the originals or the new ones I put in. They also have different part numbers for the L and R sides. If you look at them head-on (from above), one of the sidewalls is narrower than the other on each. I installed mine with the narrower side towards the inside of the car, and they seemed to go in pretty well that way.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Maybe they're supposed to be straight, but if I remember correctly both of mine had a slight curve to them, can't remember if those were the originals or the new ones I put in. They also have different part numbers for the L and R sides. If you look at them head-on (from above), one of the sidewalls is narrower than the other on each. I installed mine with the narrower side towards the inside of the car, and they seemed to go in pretty well that way.

They take a set after being installed in the car. The only difference between the L & R is a ridge of plastic running at either side in the front section acting as the counter support to the door panel.
Rob

Jonathan
05-15-2016, 12:36 PM
So straight to start.

I know mine are tight enough in there that they could easily get a curve on them over time. I hadn't realized the thin edge or thick edge side. I don't think I've ever had them both out at the same time and then looked at them side by side. They aren't marked with L or R on them somewhere are they?

The trim and brackets and escutcheons are a pretty snug fit on each of my doors.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-15-2016, 06:46 PM
So straight to start.

I know mine are tight enough in there that they could easily get a curve on them over time. I hadn't realized the thin edge or thick edge side. I don't think I've ever had them both out at the same time and then looked at them side by side. They aren't marked with L or R on them somewhere are they?

The trim and brackets and escutcheons are a pretty snug fit on each of my doors.

No they're aren't marked as left and right. It's not really a thick edge but rather a plastic shoulder molded in on the front left or right side depending on which side it's intended for.
Rob

Patrick C
05-15-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they had a *slight* curve to them, at least the reproduction I purchased did.

PJ Grady Inc.
05-15-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they had a *slight* curve to them, at least the reproduction I purchased did.

NOS do not when viewed from above. If you're referring to the side view then yes of course they do but I don't think Jonathon meant from the side but from above.
Rob

Drive Stainless
05-15-2016, 09:54 PM
I have two reproduction escutcheons. I'm glad to have the part, but they don't fit perfectly. They don't seem to snap-in 100%; maybe 80%.

Jonathan
05-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Yea, slight curve when viewed from above.

Them fitting 80% and not 100% is a good way to put it. Between the upper trim panel being very close to the edge of the escutcheon, the door vent assembly being a little too close at the top and other brackets or fittings that might have shifted slightly over time, mine doesn't clip in there with that nice, confident feel either. It's more similar to the way closing a door on a Chevy Cavalier might feel than that nice solid feel you get on a Mercedes.

Dangermouse
05-16-2016, 08:45 AM
I had a problem fitting one of mine once.

I would have taken 80% in a heartbeat

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8002&d=1327959846

Tillsy
05-16-2016, 06:49 PM
What the...!!!

PJ Grady Inc.
05-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I have two reproduction escutcheons. I'm glad to have the part, but they don't fit perfectly. They don't seem to snap-in 100%; maybe 80%.

The NOS ones don't usually fit perfect either but they can be made to fit properly. I'll give you a few of my little secrets on fitting them but remember if you use them you owe me a beer at the next Delorean Car Show or wherever else I can corral you for one!

1) Most important- The rear edge clip rarely engages the metal edge in the rear of the door support bracket. It is critical that you bend up the rear metal edge in the door panel just enough to engage the plastic clip. A very small (about 4"long) pair of "water pump" adjustable pliers works best for this. This is the key that will lock the trim into position. Anything else will not work as well.

2) If the leading edge is now too long to clear the vent in front then simply and carefully grind down the leading edge just enough to allow it to drop into position. A bench grinder with a stone wheel works like a charm for this.

3) The fit should now be close to perfect but if it still doesn't lock in place either the front side clips (there are two) are broken or they're not protruding enough to engage the door bracket. The key here is to use a hairdryer or heat gun to heat them one at a time to distort the plastic clip(s) just enough to lock in place.Caution as if you have too much engagement it will be difficult to remove without braking it.

I haven't played with the repro's yet but I don't see why these procedures wouldn't work on them. You just need to keep a stiff upper lip about it mate!
There....now that you know all my escutcheon fitting secrets gleaned over thirty five years you can open up your own Delorean shop and put me out of business/misery. My work is done here!
Rob

PJ Grady Inc.
05-16-2016, 07:57 PM
I had a problem fitting one of mine once.

I would have taken 80% in a heartbeat

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8002&d=1327959846

The distortion in the bottom escutcheon happens after being fitted under tension in a door for a period of time. They start life as straight when viewed from above. Then sh.. happens!
Rob

BABIS
05-17-2016, 06:01 AM
There....now that you know all my escutcheon fitting secrets gleaned over thirty five years you can open up your own Delorean shop and put me out of business/misery. My work is done here!
Rob

Rob you're the best :hysterical::hysterical:

Dangermouse
05-17-2016, 07:51 AM
The distortion in the bottom escutcheon happens after being fitted under tension in a door for a period of time. They start life as straight when viewed from above. Then sh.. happens!
Rob

Actually in my case it happens when you store it in the trunk outside over a Georgia summer :angry: