PDA

View Full Version : General Source for Grey Leather material

smcguiga
05-17-2016, 09:01 PM
I have just purchase a radio and plan to make a small enclosure and non destructively "mount" it above the air vents and would like to cover that box in the same leather material as the central console. Does anyone know where or if the correct color material could be purchased? I guess the only alternative would be to find some torn up center console and steal some of the leather from it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/BlueFire%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Stereo-Receiver-Controller/dp/B00X494RJY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Thanks!

--Steven

Patrick C
05-17-2016, 09:06 PM
PJ Grady has original vinyl material. Contact Rob Grady.

Gfrank
05-17-2016, 09:30 PM
PJ Grady has original vinyl material. Contact Rob Grady.

Grady won't sell

PJ Grady Inc.
05-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Grady won't sell

The material we have is for the A posts and seat side vinyl areas. We are saving it for in shop use. The center console and knee pads use a material with a heavier "elephant skin" grain that I've never seen matched successfully.
Rob

mluder
05-18-2016, 03:22 PM
The material we have is for the A posts and seat side vinyl areas. We are saving it for in shop use. The center console and knee pads use a material with a heavier "elephant skin" grain that I've never seen matched successfully.
Rob

Rob, do you guys recover the rear interior side panels (where the speakers are)?

Is this the same material as the A pillars? I can't recall.

Cheers
Steve

Gfrank
05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Rob, do you guys recover the rear interior side panels (where the speakers are)?

Cheers
Steve

A pillars are vinyl, rear panels are mostly plastic like the binnacle or what ever it actually is made of

PJ Grady Inc.
05-18-2016, 09:51 PM

Cheers
Steve

As Gfrank noted the material on the Arm rest extension panel is thin plastic that was heated and molded over the panel whereas the A posts use a naugahyde type material.

Patrick C
05-18-2016, 10:20 PM
As Gfrank noted the material on the Arm rest extension panel is thin plastic that was heated and molded over the panel whereas the A posts use a naugahyde type material.

Let's not forget those of us with the earlier versions where the armrest portion of that panel is a padded naugahyde type of material... :)

jwrayth
05-19-2016, 04:10 AM

Slightly off-topic question, but what's the best way to clean-up/repair these panels? The previous owner cut the vinyl to replace the rear speakers and it means I have inherited unsightly vinyl edges that don't tuck under the inner door seal.

FABombjoy
05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Slightly off-topic question, but what's the best way to clean-up/repair these panels?
Ooh, I'd like to know as well as I've removed the rear speakers and would like to cover the speaker holes.

Gfrank
05-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Let's not forget those of us with the earlier versions where the armrest portion of that panel is a padded naugahyde type of material... :)

Actually, technically they all are, the later ones are just covered over :)

Rich_NYS
05-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Slightly off-topic question, but what's the best way to clean-up/repair these panels? The previous owner cut the vinyl to replace the rear speakers and it means I have inherited unsightly vinyl edges that don't tuck under the inner door seal.

I had the same problem on my first car:

I attached strips of vinyl on the backside before I sprayed w/SEM:

I can't find a good final pic, but here's the first test-fit:

Patrick C
05-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Actually, technically they all are, the later ones are just covered over :)

This is a good point. I'm surprised no one is offering a shrink-wrap service to bond new material over worn panels similar to the way the factory modified them for the later models.

Rich_NYS
05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
This is a good point. I'm surprised no one is offering a shrink-wrap service to bond new material over worn panels similar to the way the factory modified them for the later models.

I think DMCMW was doing something with those panels, but I don't recall exactly. Steve Rice sent his to to have them recovered, I think.

jwrayth
05-20-2016, 04:18 AM
I had the same problem on my first car:

I attached strips of vinyl on the backside before I sprayed w/SEM:

I can't find a good final pic, but here's the first test-fit:

That looks fantastic, thanks for sharing :) I'll do just this once I have my current batch of DeLorean jobs fixed up!

Gfrank
05-20-2016, 08:25 AM

I just recently took the plastic off one and saved it. Long story. But wasn't much fun lol

dn010
05-20-2016, 08:56 AM
I had the same problem where my panels were cracking and broken where the old seal ended. A while ago I ordered inner door seals from DPI and found that the U channel is deeper and the rubber extends further than the original seals so everything is now hidden. I will post a picture this evening when I return home.

On a side note, before my seals were installed I pealed off the molded plastic in an attempt to recover the bolsters with upholstery. Recovering them is no problem, my problem however was I had no way to replicate the multiple tiny holes where the speaker is. I didn't want to relocate the rear speakers, so I put the plastic back on and reinstalled the bolsters. Mine are dirty, faded and I can't stand it. At the time I couldn't source any thin plastic heat shrink material with the grain that the originals had nor in the same color. Then again, I didn't really try that hard.

Gfrank
05-20-2016, 12:53 PM
I had the same problem where my panels were cracking and broken where the old seal ended. A while ago I ordered inner door seals from DPI and found that the U channel is deeper and the rubber extends further than the original seals so everything is now hidden. I will post a picture this evening when I return home.

On a side note, before my seals were installed I pealed off the molded plastic in an attempt to recover the bolsters with upholstery. Recovering them is no problem, my problem however was I had no way to replicate the multiple tiny holes where the speaker is. I didn't want to relocate the rear speakers, so I put the plastic back on and reinstalled the bolsters. Mine are dirty, faded and I can't stand it. At the time I couldn't source any thin plastic heat shrink material with the grain that the originals had nor in the same color. Then again, I didn't really try that hard.

They make an a leather punch to re create the speaker holes after wrapping the panel FYI

dn010
05-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I tried many different things, a punch included. My issue with it was that I could still see the brown backing material in the hole, it didn't look good to me.

They make an a leather punch to re create the speaker holes after wrapping the panel FYI

Delorean Industries
05-20-2016, 01:04 PM

Louvre buffer strip extrusions arrived today. (Finally) my manufactured screwed up and I have 2500 feet of it!