PDA

View Full Version : Re-staining Dashboard

skywalker77
05-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Good afternoon DeLorean community. I have my dashboard out and I want to re-stain it. Can anyone provide me the with what spray I should be using along with the color name or number? Also, what steps should I take from a preparation stand-point. Thanks in advance, excited to get rid of the brown spots!!

Rich_NYS
05-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I used SEM Acura Charcoal 17333 (spray) on the interior of my first Delorean.

Dash pics:

If I need to do any re-dying on the interior of my current car, I'll use Leatherique OEM Delorean Grey and apply it with a brush or other non-spray applicator.

Pic of a non-restored knee-pad next to a recently-dyed seat:

GR8SCOTT
05-18-2016, 09:32 PM
Wow. Looks great!

Andrew
05-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Rich: What did you use to fill the crack in the dash pad and how did you give it the proper texture?

Mark D
05-18-2016, 09:52 PM
SEM Acura Charcoal was discontinued but Dave Graham has a small stock for sale if you PM him. His username is sdg3205. If he's out then I also have a few cans I can sell.

more info here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11502-Acura-Charcoal-17333&highlight=Acura+charcoal

mr_maxime
05-18-2016, 10:09 PM
If I need to do any re-dying on the interior of my current car, I'll use Leatherique OEM Delorean Grey and apply it with a brush or other non-spray applicator.

Sweet I was going to try looking this up today. I got some meguiars leather balm which made it look better but once dried I could tell it would still have to be redyed.

Rich_NYS
05-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Also, what steps should I take from a preparation stand-point.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this.

When I used the spray, I followed Alex's procedure:

-Clean with SEM vinyl prep 38343
-Apply adhesion promoter (I used Bulldog adhesion Promoter, I think.)

When I used Leatherique on the seats, I used Leatherique Prestine Clean on the vinyl panels.

SEM Acura Charcoal was discontinued

I forgot about that. I have some left also....probably just enough to do the ashtray -lol.

Rich: What did you use to fill the crack in the dash pad and how did you give it the proper texture?

I used some kinda flexible bumper repair stuff, don't recall exactly what brand (I'll try to find it.)

When the filler kicked off enough to "stand," I tapped on it with my fingertips to pull it up and then sanded it after it set to create the pebble grain.

Here's a few pics:

skywalker77
05-19-2016, 12:25 PM
SEM Acura Charcoal was discontinued but Dave Graham has a small stock for sale if you PM him. His username is sdg3205. If he's out then I also have a few cans I can sell.

more info here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11502-Acura-Charcoal-17333&highlight=Acura+charcoal

Thanks Mark, can I buy a can from you? Let me know what you need from me and I'll make it happen. You can call or text me at 818 207-4263. Thanks, Tyler.

skywalker77
05-19-2016, 01:06 PM

Dash pics:

Outstanding, thanks a ton. The hunt for these products has begun.

Rich_NYS
05-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Dash pics:

Outstanding, thanks a ton. The hunt for these products has begun.

Just to make sure there's no confusion:

-The top pic is when I used the [discontinued] SEM Acura Grey aerosol.
-Bottom pic shows Leatherique dye from a "bottle" [not discontinued] on a seat (next to an unrestored kneepad.)

Mark D
05-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks Mark, can I buy a can from you? Let me know what you need from me and I'll make it happen. You can call or text me at 818 207-4263. Thanks, Tyler.

Sure, I can sell you some... If you're doing the dash you may also want to do the binnacle and glove box lid so the surrounding parts all match. The Acura Charcoal matches pretty much identical to the original color of a non sun damaged part. If the surrounding parts have any browning you may notice a color difference when they're placed side by side. I think one can should cover just the dash but if you are doing any of the other parts you may need two cans.

I'll match Dave's price at $25 per can plus whatever it cost to actually ship. That's only a few bucks more than my actual cost.

I think UPS ground shipping runs between $7-$10 for small boxes that would fit a can or two.

I'll send you a text in a little bit.

skywalker77
05-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Perfect, thank you. Looking forward to getting your text.

skywalker77
05-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Side note, how many cans do you think I need? I am doing the dash and glove box cover, maybe the binnacle now that you mentioned it.

Mark D
05-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Side note, how many cans do you think I need? I am doing the dash and glove box cover, maybe the binnacle now that you mentioned it.

I think two should do it for the dash, glove box, and binnacle... Maybe Rich or Dave can chime in since they've had more recent experience? I've done tests and color matching on vinyl swatches but haven't done my interior yet.

The overall coverage is excellent though and it doesn't take more than a couple of very light coats to completely hide the discoloration. For the best color match my final coat was a little heavier and wetter to get an even smooth finish. If you go too light you end up with a flatter dull finish.

Rich_NYS
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
I think I used 3 cans for my entire interior.

dn010
05-19-2016, 04:02 PM
How long ago did you spray your dash? I wasn't able to get more than maybe 5 years before the paint began to peal off the sunburnt areas, even after all the prep I did.

Rich_NYS
05-19-2016, 05:24 PM
How long ago did you spray your dash? I wasn't able to get more than maybe 5 years before the paint began to peal off the sunburnt areas, even after all the prep I did.

I sprayed it in 2014 and sold the car a year later, so I'm not able to give any feedback on its current state.

I believe Alex (Kings1527) sprayed his in 2013, but he might know others who did theirs more than 5 years ago.

This is the first I've heard anyone mention having peeling issues.

mr_maxime
05-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Slightly off topic but where can I get a mat to protect the dash?

sdg3205
05-20-2016, 02:46 AM
Sorry to be tardy to the party!

Yes, two cans for the dash, glove box and binnacle is probably fine. I dyed mine with SEM in 2010 and I have had no issues with peeling and flaking. I don't live in the most sever of climates though :)

Rich_NYS
05-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Slightly off topic but where can I get a mat to protect the dash?

Several online retailers have them (auto anything, ebay, amazon....etc.) I have no experience ordering one, but I noticed the prices vary significantly so I'd assume the quality varies.

Mark D
05-20-2016, 10:10 AM

Prep is key to a long lasting re-dye. If it's peeling after 5 years than something must have gone wrong during prep. SEM is pretty specific with the products they want you to use and steps to follow. When I did color match tests I followed the instructions on their website:

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish-flexible-coatings/classic-coattm

The first step is washing with soap and water to remove any grease and residue from previous dressings or cleaners. I also used a white scotch brite pad to scuff the surface. The instructions say you can go up to a grey pad which is mid way between white and the brown pad that most people use for graining stainless. If water still beads on the surface after you clean it the first time you may have to clean it a second or third time to get an oil free, keyed surface.

When the dash turns brown those areas seem to open up on the surface and become more porous than the surrounding areas. Since you're using water for cleaning in the first step and the dash material is basically a big sponge it may take a day or more for the dash to fully dry out. If your dash is peeling only on the areas that were once brown it was probably not fully dry before you moved on to the next step.

dn010
05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
After thinking about it, I realize that I didn't even use SEM! I don't remember what I had used back then but I know it wasn't SEM so that is more than likely why it didn't work out for me - it was probably something cheap.

Prep is key to a long lasting re-dye. If it's peeling after 5 years than something must have gone wrong during prep. SEM is pretty specific with the products they want you to use and steps to follow. When I did color match tests I followed the instructions on their website:

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish-flexible-coatings/classic-coattm

The first step is washing with soap and water to remove any grease and residue from previous dressings or cleaners. I also used a white scotch brite pad to scuff the surface. The instructions say you can go up to a grey pad which is mid way between white and the brown pad that most people use for graining stainless. If the water still beads on the surface after you clean it the first time you may have to clean it a second or third time to get an oil free, keyed surface.

When the dash turns brown those areas seem to open up on the surface and become more porous than the surrounding areas. Since you're using water for cleaning in the first step and the dash material is basically a big sponge it may take a day or more for the dash to fully dry out. If your dash is peeling only on the areas that were once brown it was probably not fully dry before you moved on to the next step.

mr_maxime
05-24-2016, 06:59 PM
got my leatherique kit ordered

cpistocco
05-24-2016, 07:56 PM
Has anyone tried to use the leathereque kit (applied with a sponge) with the dash still in the car?

sdg3205
05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
I used Leatherique on my seats. Used a sponge paint brush. Worked very well.

mr_maxime
05-24-2016, 08:26 PM
i was thinking of using one of those circular applicator pads

Rich_NYS
05-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Has anyone tried to use the leathereque kit (applied with a sponge) with the dash still in the car?

I haven't, but that's what I plan to do if/when I need to use it on the dash.

cpistocco
07-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Delorean leathereque dye?
Thanks
-Charlie

sdg3205
07-02-2016, 12:11 PM
From their website, or Amazon and eBay.

nirvanaman
07-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Delorean leathereque dye?
Thanks
-Charlie

I checked Amazon, ebay and their website and not finding it. I wonder if it has been discontinued?

sdg3205
07-02-2016, 04:36 PM
I had the guy at the Canadian place colour match it to the SEM dye. They can be tough to get in touch with.

sdg3205
07-02-2016, 05:39 PM
If you're searching for "Delorean grey dye" you won't find it. You have to call and have them mix it for you.

louielouie2000
07-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Sweet I was going to try looking this up today. I got some meguiars leather balm which made it look better but once dried I could tell it would still have to be redyed.

After seeing some YouTube reviews, I recently ordered Meguiars Super Degreaser. You have to order it straight from Meguiars (or other online sources) and it only comes in a gallon concentrate, but I can't recommend this stuff enough. My daily driver Subaru has light tan colored interior which was starting to brown & blacken some from body oil, dirt, lint, sunscreen, etc. The Super Degreaser pretty much instantly dissolved all of that, and I wiped away the majority of the gunk without even scrubbing. Of course I went over everything again a couple of times with a scrub brush as well. It even worked where a friend sprayed my headliner with Coke, too. It instantly made me think of how many DeLorean owners battle with the browning of their grey interiors. Unfortunately I don't currently have a DeLorean to test this stuff out on, but to me it was well worth the $30 gamble. I keep finding uses for the stuff all around the house, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D10801-Super-Degreaser-Gallon/dp/B0006SH4HS

Lou and "Boo"
07-02-2016, 08:58 PM
I simply googled the sem Acura grey color
Coat number and bought 4 cans about two
Weeks ago- from
Collision depot or something like that.

nirvanaman
07-03-2016, 05:51 PM
If you're searching for "Delorean grey dye" you won't find it. You have to call and have them mix it for you.

Ah that's why we couldn't find it. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdg3205
07-03-2016, 06:02 PM
I think the Canadian branch has the mix on file, not sure about the American branch. If you have a swatch you can send it in for them to match. There is quite a range of Delorean greys out there. The seats are a little blue/grey. He SEM Acura charcoal is a bit more yellow/grey if that makes any sense. It's all over the place!

nirvanaman
07-03-2016, 11:04 PM
I emailed them and they responded in like 30 seconds. Impressive.

cpistocco
07-04-2016, 11:13 AM
After seeing some YouTube reviews, I recently ordered Meguiars Super Degreaser. You have to order it straight from Meguiars (or other online sources) and it only comes in a gallon concentrate, but I can't recommend this stuff enough. My daily driver Subaru has light tan colored interior which was starting to brown & blacken some from body oil, dirt, lint, sunscreen, etc. The Super Degreaser pretty much instantly dissolved all of that, and I wiped away the majority of the gunk without even scrubbing. Of course I went over everything again a couple of times with a scrub brush as well. It even worked where a friend sprayed my headliner with Coke, too. It instantly made me think of how many DeLorean owners battle with the browning of their grey interiors. Unfortunately I don't currently have a DeLorean to test this stuff out on, but to me it was well worth the $30 gamble. I keep finding uses for the stuff all around the house, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D10801-Super-Degreaser-Gallon/dp/B0006SH4HS

I think that the problem with the deloreans is that the actual color is gone..... Whatever pigment that used to be on the dashboards just fried off (probably due to the large rake of the windshield). So, I am afraid that cleaning it probably wont help. (although it would be a good preparation for re-dying)

cpistocco
07-04-2016, 11:16 AM
I am a bit confused....are we talking about the Leathereque dye, the SEM spray cans, or both? :)
-Charlie