PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

cjnangle
05-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Hello! My name is Charlie and I'm a huge fan of DeLoreans! (So is everybody on here) I'm not looking to buy a car yet, as I'm way too young, but I would like to get to know the other people on here and have some good conversations about the cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdg3205
05-18-2016, 11:26 PM
As Alice Cooper might say - "Welcome to (our) nightmare. I think you're gonna like it." Lol. You'll find everything you need here, including regular advice from some of the worlds foremost authorities on DeLoreans.

When you're ready to take your obsession one step further, you'll be glad you're here!

Domi
05-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

DMC-81
05-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi Charlie. Welcome to the forum!

I understand your interest. When I was very young, my first clue that I was interested in cars was when I looked out the front window of my Dad's station wagon at a cool looking car that had the name BRICKLIN on the back. I didn't know it at the time, but we were 5 miles from where they were made.

Then, through the back window of that same wagon on a flat stretch of road, I saw a black car closing in on us fast. My heart started racing. When it passed, I just caught a glimpse of the name underneath a big wing...PORSCHE. I was hooked. I drooled over Corvettes, Porsches, and anything fast and/or unique..... Posters on my wall, sat in them at dealerships, etc. Then, one day, after hard work, good decisions, and savings I was able to buy. Man, what a feeling!

Back in 1985, I saw the DeLorean for the first time rolling out the back of that truck in the movie. I thought, Wow, what kind of car is THAT!! Gradually, it became an icon. Almost 30 years later, I discovered that I could actually still buy one. So I started the hunt, and when I walked into DMCFL and bought mine as a resto project, I felt 18 again. It took me 2 years of careful restoration for me to be able to drive it, and guess what? Yep, I felt 18 all over again. I get that same feeling every time I take the icon for a spin. Fun times!

The people of this forum and vendors helped me along the way, and it has been a very satisfying hobby.

Good luck with your dream!

Cheers,

louielouie2000
05-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Don't let your age discourage your interest in these cars. There are many owners who bought their DeLoreans when they were teenagers. I started saving for a DeLorean when I was 11 years old, and bought one when I was 19. There are many others who bought theirs when they were 15-18. You are never too young to start planning for DeLorean ownership. :race:

dn010
05-20-2016, 03:15 PM
I am one of those who was able to obtain my D when I was 18 years old. Prior to ownership I researched as much as I could on the car, the company, the history. I scoured eBay and any classified I could. At that time I had never seen a DeLorean in person and I really had no idea what I was getting myself into, I just knew I wanted one. The day finally came and I'll never forget seeing my car on a flatbed pulling up to the house.

The funny thing is, even after 14 years of owning one, I still find myself stunned and yelling out "LOOK, a DeLorean!" when I see a D go by on the road, and when I went to DMCFL, it was like going to a theme park for the first time.

Welcome to the community, its great to be able to come on here and speak D language.

Peripatetic
05-22-2016, 02:38 AM
Ohai!

I started saving for a DeLorean when I was In middle school. Picking up pennies I see in the parking lot and pocketing them thinking "I'm closer to owning one!". I didn't get it until I was 26--20 years too long--from DMC Midwest. There was a gas station downtown where we could go get hot dogs across the street. We could eat hot dogs and stare at the DeLorean that was always parked there, as it belonged to the stations owner. He hated the car.

I was* so obsessed when I was younger that I would usually get something DeLorean related gifts on birthdays and Christmas. Shirts, hot wheels, shirts, posters, shirts, and occasionally a shirt or two.

*am