PDA

View Full Version : General New Member - Humble introduction and request for wisdom

DMC-SMA
05-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Hello Everyone,
New forum member here. 38 years old, from Dallas, TX and have shared a love for this vehicle for many years. I have never owned a Delorean but am finally in the market for one. I have just been taking my time, reading everything I can get my hands on, watching every video out there, and taking time to read through many of the posts on this board, educating myself about the Good, the Bad, and the sometimes Ugly about owning this car. I'm humbled by the amount of knowledge some of you have and find it extremely inspiring as well. So many of you have been very dedicated to learning and knowing your craft and I imagine doing so has made the pain and heartache of learning with this vehicle rewarding. I've taken a great interest in learning about Cars, Engines, Auto repair, etc recently and have been fortunate to meet a fellow parent in my son's kindergarten class that is a vintage car enthusiast and very skilled at Auto repair, welding and my hope is to become his apprentice to learn everything I can.

Right now, I'm learning everything I can about this car inside and out. I don't want to fall into the trap of being just another one of those guys who loved BTTF as a kid and now want a Delorean. I want to know what I am getting into so I am thankful for this site.

I've read the "Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Delorean Automobiles" a few times and have spent a good deal of time online looking at cars trying to put theory into practice. Living in Dallas, I hope to make a trip down to DMCH soon.

Question for those of you know this car inside and out and the market for them.

I am a bit baffled by the price variants on this car. I see posts from individuals on this site saying a "GREAT" Delorean, in good reliable shape may run in the high $20's to low $30's. Yet I see cars online at DMCH that are quote on quote "Certified" with 25+k miles on them, nothing particularly special about them that I can tell that are being listed at $59k+. (Were these frame off refurbishes, with new everything??)

I really need some help here to get more of a price concensus. While I am learning (and I always will be), I am not looking for a "Project" car if you will. Meaning, I'm not looking for a car that is ok cosmetically but will need all the work done once I have it. My knowledge base is not there to do most of that labor myself. While I am not opposed to finding a good deal and taking it to one of the DMC locations for work, I am looking for a car that has for the most part had the work performed on it already and would be considered a great, "reliable" car. (I'm sure many of you would argue this car does not fall into that category. : ) Not for a daily driver, but for something I can enjoy and not have to worry about as often as I would a car that needs all the work done on it.

Are these prices I am seeing at DMCH reasonable or are these out of line? What is special about those cars vs. some very nice ones I have seen online in the mid $30's? I guess I want to know, how much is too much for "Great" car? If Great means, spend $30k, then need $20k+ of work to arrive at the prices I see online at DMCH, then I get it but just trying to get my head around this as I see many posting price ranges for Good solid vehicles at prices half what I have seen online.

I appreciate your patience with me on this. Very new. I just don't want to be gouged on a vehicle. I'm pretty OCD on this stuff. Looking for surface rust, rust on the frame, etc. Just really want to know what I should target, what should be a good price target and what to avoid. Any wisdom any of you can point me to would be greatly appreciated, and if any of you are nearby in TX I would love the opportunity to connect with you and learn from you.

If there is a post on this already feel free to direct me.

Thanks so much for having me and looking forward to learning from each of you.
Steven

SamHill
05-21-2016, 07:39 PM
The short answer is to hold your powder until ready to fire. Every once in a while a car will come for sale right on this site that has been pretty well kept after, and it will probably be your best bet. Sometimes "known" people sell "known" cars just because another opportunity comes up, they are in a different place in life, or whatever. That's the car you want.

Here's my advice: Avoid shiny ebay cars. Second, have your funds ready and be patient. Third, when a great car comes up, don't listen to a negative nancy who smears something relatively insignificant about the car because they are either jealous or want it for themselves. And remember that these cars, even in good shape, require a fair amount of patience and work. Where the work was done is important: badly installed or loose fuel lines will see your dream go up in smoke.

You should read the FAQs on buying a Delorean on this site. There are a few of them.

Prices vary. I don't know how else to say it because we are seeing nonrunners go for good money recently. In my humble opinion, (if you watch this site carefully for a year or two,) you can still score fully sorted, "good" five speed car with lots of updates, upgrades and only a tiny flaw here and there for just under $30K. Go to an event and make real life friends today, and call on them for their advice when you zero in on a particular car.

Good luck.

DMC-81
05-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Welcome Steven! I agree with what SamHill said.... Do your research, be patient, and when you find a great car, act without hesitation.

Cheers,

DMC-SMA
05-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much gentlemen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rich_NYS
05-21-2016, 10:06 PM
The short answer is to hold your powder until ready to fire. Every once in a while a car will come for sale right on this site that has been pretty well kept after, and it will probably be your best bet. Sometimes "known" people sell "known" cars just because another opportunity comes up, they are in a different place in life, or whatever. That's the car you want.

Here's my advice: Avoid shiny ebay cars. Second, have your funds ready and be patient. Third, when a great car comes up, don't listen to a negative nancy who smears something relatively insignificant about the car because they are either jealous or want it for themselves. And remember that these cars, even in good shape, require a fair amount of patience and work. Where the work was done is important: badly installed or loose fuel lines will see your dream go up in smoke.

You should read the FAQs on buying a Delorean on this site. There are a few of them.

Prices vary. I don't know how else to say it because we are seeing nonrunners go for good money recently. In my humble opinion, (if you watch this site carefully for a year or two,) you can still score fully sorted, "good" five speed car with lots of updates, upgrades and only a tiny flaw here and there for just under $30K. Go to an event and make real life friends today, and call on them for their advice when you zero in on a particular car.

Good luck.

This is excellent advice!

Michael
05-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Sam is on target...except for the 5 speed. You definately want the automatic so you can wave at the ladies!!

Mary
05-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Hi there new member, I have been looking seriously for the last six months for my dream dmc I know its out there. Asking pretty much the same things that you brought up. Seems everything I have found so far is running or selling at 24 to 28 $ go pretty quickly. This car is an icon to us who just love the car, or have had a connection to the man himself one way or another even in a small way which was my case. I am not giving up but my 20$ will have to grow some if trends continue the way they have been. Love this site!!!!! Love our people!!!!! They are the greatest and our senior members are exceptional all the way around. I hope to meet more of all of you as time goes by in the search for our dmc's Mary

cjnangle
05-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Welcome! One of the reasons why there is a large price gap is because some in the $20s claim to be nice cars, but older parts may need to be replaced. DeLoreans are very high maintenance and require a lot of work. But some cars out there for a much higher price may be more reliable. You may buy a car for $20 and end up spending double. It really all depends on how much work you want to do, and how much you want to spend on it. Good luck and I hope to here about your future DeLorean stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
05-22-2016, 07:16 AM
DeLoreans are very high maintenance and require a lot of work.

That is just not true.

cjnangle
05-22-2016, 07:17 AM
That is just not true.

How so?

cjnangle
05-22-2016, 07:25 AM
How so?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/733a073fe18492278a40bcea14940271.jpg

DMC-81
05-22-2016, 08:18 AM
That is just not true.

I think what Charlie is saying is that a lower priced, non-sorted car is high maintenance. For example, I could have done the brakes on my "running" car and have driven it soon after buying it, but I knew that once pressed into service, old OEM parts (rubber hoses, plastic coolant tank, idler bearings, clutch hydraulic system, relays, fuel hoses & accumulator, etc.) would eventually fail or be at risk of failing. That would make the car unreliable.

I wanted a reliable show car, so I invested the time and money up front to restore it mechanically before even driving it. Now it starts off the key and works reliably. I don't hesitate to take it for a spin. I know that not every owner does that, and they choose to do one thing at a time until it becomes sorted.

To each his own, but my point is, once sorted, they are indeed reliable.

content22207_2
05-22-2016, 08:21 AM
DeLoreans are very high maintenance and require a lot of work.

I do not agree with this as a blanket statement. I have found my own car to be nearly as reliable as my trucks, with the caveat that I have modified it in several respects specifically to increase reliability (major electrical system changes, replacement front suspension, alternative fuel system, etc). In 14 years and ~75,000 miles of service it has never been towed.

That said, I did need to replace my engine -- which was itself a replacement engine (PO overheat of OEM engine) -- in 2004 due to block rot, which does seem to be a problem unique to DeLorean PRV's. Dave Swingle reports no rhyme or reason to block rot: he's seen it on cars that sat idle outdoors for decades, garage queens that were pampered and babied, and high mileage cars that have been in daily service. I lucked out and found a brand new PRV on a pallet for $500, so my own experience wasn't catastrophic at all. Just be aware that it can happen to any DeLorean, but certainly doesn't happen to every DeLorean (block rot is a fleet wide possibility, but it is still a minority experience).

Frame rot is the other fleet wide achilles heel. It is a common enough problem to warrant inspection on any potential purchase. A little rust isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but buyers should be aware of cars out there that are one speed bump sway from dropping their underbody on the pavement. My own car has a solid frame with one major failure: a PO weld repair on the crumple extension fell out altogether in 2009, leaving a 1/8"-1/4" gap the entire way across one of the radiator support protrusions, which also holds the swaybar (only on the underside -- top piece was fine). I was able to engineer a repair that actually made the crumple extension stronger than it was before and have been driving on it trouble free ever since (sometimes as many as 8,000 miles a year).

Everything else is all over the map. Some cars have badly aged interiors, others just need to be vacuumed and wiped clean. Some cars have dents in the stainless (mine has a tremendous dent at the bottom of the passenger door that can't be pressed out -- being at the bottom of a door I never use, it bothers me about as much as the bald spot in the back of my head I can't even see in a mirror), others have flawless stainless. No two DeLoreans were truly identical when they left the factory, and diversity has only increased in 35 years since.

This much is certain: despite what the newspapers say, nobody is making any more DeLoreans. The fleet can only get smaller, not larger. Every DeLorean that can ever be purchased has already been built. That means potential buyers need to be geographically and temporally flexible. You never know where or when a car worth buying will pop up. This is the antithesis of ordering in a 2016 model car at your friendly neighborhood dealership. I recommend potential buyers line up their finances first, have travel and transportation plans already in place that can be effected from a variety of places, then keep their radar turned on for a deal that may pop up anywhere anytime.

FWIW: both of my cars are eBay cars. Bought #5939 in 2002 for $7,500. Bought #2508 in 2009 for $9,999. eBay has been good to me, but I'm sure that isn't a universal experience.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
05-22-2016, 08:48 AM
I think there's some confusion with the term: "high maintenance." (It doesn't mean: "will need a great deal of work to be reliable.")

I believe it would be accurate to say:

"Deloreans are >30 years old, and many were in storage for a long time before being brought out for sale. Depending on storage conditions, there are potentially several things that might need to be replaced/restored (as with any car that sat a long time.")

"High maintenance" means you're constantly having to give something attention(read: work on stuff.)

This is also good advice:

Welcome Steven! I agree with what SamHill said.... Do your research, be patient, and when you find a great car, act without hesitation.

+1.....when you find a great car, act without hesitation.

Andrew
05-22-2016, 11:53 AM
With a few modifications / upgrades, a DeLorean can be a very reliable vehicle. Additionally with any car that has been sitting for a long time, it would be a good idea to replace various rubber parts and fluids. But as others have said, once a DeLorean is running and drivable, it can be a very reliable car.

On an aside, just two years ago I restored 5052, which had been sitting for at least 23 years. The entire restoration cost me roughly $2,000. That included the fuel system, new brake and cluch hydraulics and all coolant hoses. I've subsequently done another $2,000 in upgrades. The end result was a DeLorean that is reliable and handles great! :-)

Michael
05-22-2016, 12:06 PM
This is also good advice:

+1.....when you find a great car, act without hesitation.

Because someone else will.

SamHill
05-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Bought #5939 in 2002 for $7,500. Bought #2508 in 2009 for $9,999. eBay has been good to me, but I'm sure that isn't a universal experience.

Bill Robertson

Don't let Bill fool you. He is brilliant and has done substantial work to 5939 over the last nearly 15 years. When it breaks down, he can fix it on the spot. 2508 is being torn down. Like he said, it isn't a universal experience... but that's because he knows what he's doing while most of us, by comparison, are far less skilled at doing proven work-arounds. If we all had his skill, ebay would be a good experience for all of us.

Michael
05-22-2016, 12:17 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/733a073fe18492278a40bcea14940271.jpg

Because the people who wrote that are trying to sell you one of THEIR cars. James Espy himself coined the 25K rule (now debatable due to inflation and values increasing). The 25k rule states that it takes that number to get a good looking, reliable DeLorean. Doesn't matter if you buy it outright or buy a 15k car and invest 10k. Your statement implied that ALL DeLoreans are unreliable cars that need constant attention and is based not on true knowledge about the cars but public perception and that is simply not the case.

In fact the ones that actually do need attention are a result of idiots that think they can work on them because they saw one once or the guy up the street had one, or they worked on a Volvo once last year. Once a DeLorean is brought up to spec...by someone that actually knows what they are doing, it's a pretty solid car. It's people that start screwing around with idle settings trying to compensate for a problem and lack the proper test equipment or printed material that give it a bad name.

cjnangle
05-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Because the people who wrote that are trying to sell you one of THEIR cars. James Espy himself coined the 25K rule (now debatable due to inflation and values increasing). The 25k rule states that it takes that number to get a good looking, reliable DeLorean. Doesn't matter if you buy it outright or buy a 15k car and invest 10k. Your statement implied that ALL DeLoreans are unreliable cars that need constant attention and is based not on true knowledge about the cars but public perception and that is simply not the case.

In fact the ones that actually do need attention are a result of idiots that think they can work on them because they saw one once or the guy up the street had one, or they worked on a Volvo once last year. Once a DeLorean is brought up to spec...by someone that actually knows what they are doing, it's a pretty solid car. It's people that start screwing around with idle settings trying to compensate for a problem and lack the proper test equipment or printed material that give it a bad name.

Btw those that is from the DMC site so I thing they know what they're doing

Michael
05-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Btw those that is from the DMC site so I thing they know what they're doing

No shit. I have been around the marque for a decade, most others here have been around much longer. I know where it's from which is why I referenced Mr. Espy.

content22207_2
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Don't let Bill fool you.

With all due respect I don't know anything anybody else can learn. I'm a little bit older, so I do have a head start on late 70's/early 80's technology. It might seem like Greek at first, but as you delve into it, it becomes increasingly understandable. The key is to delve. The time to learn how a DeLorean works isn't while it's broken down on the side of the road.

The level of do-it-yourselfness in the DeLorean community is through the roof. Same with willingness to help other owners. If an owner isn't comfortable doing something him or herself, do not hesitate to ask for assistance. Help often comes to your own driveway. I know an owner who took an airplane across 4 states to another owners' house to help (wasn't me -- I hate to fly). Every single DeLorean gathering includes tinkering in the parking lot, and sometimes major repairs (that same owner replaced his steering rack in one motel parking lot, and did suspension work in another). Closest analogy is the guys who collect and restore old tractors -- very different from owning a Lamborghini.

These little cars are 35 years old. It's not a question of if they break, but when they break. The better you know your car, the less intimidated you will be when that happens.

Any vehicle can and will break, often times in ways you did not expect. Last weekend while I was driving a school bus one of the accessory belts broke, wiping out all of the other belts as it flailed off (two broke, two fell off intact, one twisted just about fully over, and one wrapped itself around the fan shaft). I always travel with tools, so about an hour after hitching a ride into town to buy replacement belts and back we were on the road again (I bought two sets -- I am going to keep a complete set in the luggage compartment now). DeLorean owners often travel with spare belts too.

Bill Robertson

cjnangle
05-22-2016, 01:52 PM
I would also like to point out that never said that ALL DeLoreans are unreliable. I just said that if one is really cheap, most part might need to be replaced. I'm sorry if my response offended you all to the point that you needed to prove me wrong. I'm just applying my knowledge to the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

content22207_2
05-22-2016, 02:03 PM
One piece of emergency equipment every DeLorean needs to carry, and needs to know how to use before he needs it, is a short piece of jumper wire. About half the car can be operated from the relay compartment with a jumper: you can start the engine, turn on the headlights, turn on at least one radiator fan (both fans require two jumper wires), etc.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
05-22-2016, 02:19 PM
I would also like to point out that never said that ALL DeLoreans are unreliable. I just said that if one is really cheap, most part might need to be replaced. I'm sorry if my response offended you all to the point that you needed to prove me wrong. I'm just applying my knowledge to the situation.

Nobody's jumpin' on ya man, just sharing knowledge & experience....this is the place to put it out there so everyone can benefit.

Each car's situation can be different; I bought one in 2014, another in 2015. The first was a northeast car. Although it had been exposed to road salt, the PO maintained it properly and addressed the corrosion issues. It was then stored in a barn for 11 years, but the owner started & ran it (while parked) 1-2 times per month. I brought it home, did some light mechanical work to stop the leaks, removed the rodent nests, then drove it from NYS to Ohio and drag-raced it against Nightflyer Josh at DCS 2014.

My current car is a southern car so it wasn't exposed to road salt, but it was parked after a fuel system issue so it hadn't run in a long time. The PO got it running & driving with a carb conversion, but since it hadn't been properly stored or maintained, I'm needing to do much more mechanical work (but less cosmetic work) on this one.

I also know there are owners who paid 20K and put another 20K into it, so there's that.

Again, I'd subscribe to Sam's advice....I think it's good advice for a first-time buyer.

DMC-SMA
05-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Loving the insight and experience. Thank you all so much. I found this from a 6-13-11 post by RETIRED and this was helpful. Would any of you mind updating these prices for me based on current market trends? This info is about 5 years old. Based on what I am seeing on line, most of the listings according to this post would be considered "Unicorns" and if $36k+ is a Unicorn, then $62k for a car listed from DMCH, I can't understand it.....??? (Not hating on DMCH here at all, just very confused)

Thanks all!

From 6-13-11 Post found here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%93I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%94-or-%93Project-Car-Wanted%94-threads

What I want to pay vs. what is realistic

A “rule of thumb” for D’s was established years ago, and for the most part it is still applicable. “What’s the difference between a $20k and a $25k DeLorean? About $10k.”

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:
- $2k - $4k: A car with rot, not running, interior destroyed, sitting for years - - possibly decades… more times than most—a parts car. This car will take MAJOR $$ and time to restore
- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.
- $20k to $26k: There are a lot of D’s in this category. These are a lot of the well-known cars that spend a lot of time in a garage, have been basically rebuilt and updated, body is in excellent condition, everything works, car can be driven with confidence virtually anywhere. NICE D’s.
- $27k to $35k: This range is getting harder and harder to find as the economy has changed over the past few years. At the upper end of this range, you would expect to find things like concourse cars. When the economy was good, VERY NICE D’s were in this range, but in the past few years this has changed with the economy. The majority of nice cars you will now find in the $25k range.
- $36k+ : These are the unicorn cars. More than likely you are spending this kind of money buying a car from a vendor, or an older person who thinks the car is a Ferrari. If you are looking at a privately owned car in this category and the car has no substantial history (i.e. Right Hand Drive (RHD), Johnny Carson owned it, etc…), you can do better. Vendor cars usually have full inspections/some kind of warranty in this price range.

content22207_2
05-22-2016, 03:55 PM
The PO got it running & driving with a carb conversion

Byrne Heninger conversion, not one of mine.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
05-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Byrne Heninger conversion, not one of mine.

Bill Robertson

Yessir...Byrne Heninger conversion....soon to be Robertson conversion.

Lwanmtr
05-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Here's my advice: Avoid shiny ebay cars..

This is sound advice...In fact, while I bought mine off ebay, the pictures showed it covered in a layer of dust...there was no shiny anywhere...lol.

I think the 25k rule is still valid..maybe 28k now...at least from what I'm finding..I paid 13k have put in about 4k and still about 9-10k before she's runnin around.

find out where the closest DMC location is to you and get to know the folks there. Theyre always helpful, and of course, they know the cars.

Just be patient and look around..when you find the one, you'll know it.

Dangermouse
05-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Loving the insight and experience. Thank you all so much. I found this from a 6-13-11 post by RETIRED and this was helpful. Would any of you mind updating these prices for me based on current market trends? This info is about 5 years old. Based on what I am seeing on line, most of the listings according to this post would be considered "Unicorns" and if $36k+ is a Unicorn, then $62k for a car listed from DMCH, I can't understand it.....??? (Not hating on DMCH here at all, just very confused)

Thanks all!

From 6-13-11 Post found here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-%93I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean%94-or-%93Project-Car-Wanted%94-threads

What I want to pay vs. what is realistic

A “rule of thumb” for D’s was established years ago, and for the most part it is still applicable. “What’s the difference between a $20k and a $25k DeLorean? About $10k.”

What will you get for your money? In most cases, you will find the following true:
- $2k - $4k: A car with rot, not running, interior destroyed, sitting for years - - possibly decades… more times than most—a parts car. This car will take MAJOR $$ and time to restore
- $5k - $10k: a project car that has been sitting forever, MAYBE it starts, more than likely it doesn’t. MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, fuel system have to be done.
- $11k - $13k: a project car that starts, moves. Can be made into a daily driver with some work. The list of MAJOR updates to electrical, cooling, brake, and fuel system may have been started.
- $14k - $19k: a project car that has had some work done, starts and runs, drives, but needs work. A lot of daily driver D’s fall into this category. Higher side of this category are project cars that need work, but all the big things such as the cooling system, fuel system, electrical system have been mostly sorted out and updated. Body should be in good condition, some blemishes or minor work can be expected. Car can be driven with confidence for the most part, but some things are still being sorted out.
- $20k to $26k: There are a lot of D’s in this category. These are a lot of the well-known cars that spend a lot of time in a garage, have been basically rebuilt and updated, body is in excellent condition, everything works, car can be driven with confidence virtually anywhere. NICE D’s.
- $27k to $35k: This range is getting harder and harder to find as the economy has changed over the past few years. At the upper end of this range, you would expect to find things like concourse cars. When the economy was good, VERY NICE D’s were in this range, but in the past few years this has changed with the economy. The majority of nice cars you will now find in the $25k range.
- $36k+ : These are the unicorn cars. More than likely you are spending this kind of money buying a car from a vendor, or an older person who thinks the car is a Ferrari. If you are looking at a privately owned car in this category and the car has no substantial history (i.e. Right Hand Drive (RHD), Johnny Carson owned it, etc…), you can do better. Vendor cars usually have full inspections/some kind of warranty in this price range.

Firstly, remember that what people are asking for and what they are finally selling for are two different things.

While all of these cars look identical, they are all slightly different, pretty little snowflakes as they say.

There is only 1 1/2 unicorns out there for sale at the moment, the 500 mile never-registered car that jack is asking $50k for, and it is the never-registered part that is the unicorn horn. Is it worth $50k - who knows. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

The Domino's car is only part unicorn - it is stock car with a pretty dress and an interesting story.

But to your question, IMHO, I would add about $3k to each of the values.

Iznodmad
05-23-2016, 11:06 AM
OP Steven. If I were you, I would register for DCS and go. Where else can you see dozens of DeLoreans and owners and parts and vendors all in one place? There are usually a handful for sale there as well. Food for thought.

DMC-SMA
05-23-2016, 11:54 AM
You all have been very helpful. Can't thank you enough!

OverlandMan
05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
You all have been very helpful. Can't thank you enough!

DMC-SMA. Are you still in Dallas? I'm close to your age and in Rowlett.

DMC-SMA
05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
We're in Allen! Thanks for reaching out to me. Would love to connect and gain some of your insight and experience for sure! I saw a Delorean at Celebration Park near me recently and wonder if that owner is on here somewhere.

OverlandMan
05-23-2016, 02:37 PM
We're in Allen! Thanks for reaching out to me. Would love to connect and gain some of your insight and experience for sure! I saw a Delorean at Celebration Park near me recently and wonder if that owner is on here somewhere.

There's a new owner in Allen so that might be his car you saw. PM sent.

Andrew
05-23-2016, 02:50 PM
One piece of emergency equipment every DeLorean needs to carry, and needs to know how to use before he needs it, is a short piece of jumper wire. About half the car can be operated from the relay compartment with a jumper: you can start the engine, turn on the headlights, turn on at least one radiator fan (both fans require two jumper wires), etc.

Bill Robertson

In addition to a jumper wire (which is a very important item to carry) I would recommend carrying the following:

1. A small set tools, including metric wrenches, sockets, screw drivers and a lug wrench.
2. A spare alternator belt
3. Assortment of Fuses
4. A cheap multi-meter.
5. Small floor jack
6. Delorean Glovebox Manual By BobZilla Grady http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12987-DeLorean-GLOVE-BOX-Service-Manual
7. Tape (Duct tape and electrical tape)
8. Fire extinguisher!!!!
9. 12 Volt Shop Light w/ cigarette lighter plug
10. Wire stripper / crimper
11. Fix-a-Flat

In addition to the above I also carry the following:

1. Spare alternator
2. Water Pump Bypass Hoses
3. Fuel Pump (stock electric for 4194 and mechanical for 5052)
4. RPM Relay (4194 only)
5. Ignition Distributor (in the event of a pulse coil failure)
6. Ignition Module (Duraspark with wiring diagram & connectors)
7. Tire Plugging Kit
8. Grubby clothes suitable for roadside repairs.

Make use of your cubby and jack storage compartment...remember its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! :-)

content22207_2
05-23-2016, 03:20 PM
I also carry the following:

3. Fuel Pump (... mechanical for 5052)

Good luck changing that thing on the side of the road.

(For the uninitiated, PRV mechanical pump is even more difficult to install than any K-Jet component ever was. Works well after it's in place, but getting to that point is a colossal PITA).

Bill Robertson