PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Repairing rivnut holes

mr_maxime
05-31-2016, 06:29 PM
I had spun rivnuts when trying to remove the fenders. I got one bolt out while applying some force upwards, but i pulled out 2 rivnuts trying the same thing. How should I go about repairing the broken fiberglass? My first thought was using something like JB weld to secure a new rivnut in place and rebonding the broken pieces of fiberglass together. The guy at the auto part store suggested epoxy, which I am reluctant to use since it doesnt hold up well with heat. Or should I completely repair the fiberglass, drill out a new hole and place a rivnut in using the proper tool?

Soundkillr
05-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Get 3m panel bond. Expensive, but once it sets, will literally hold metal panels together. And just about anything else...

mr_maxime
05-31-2016, 08:08 PM
From the FAQs it'll look like I need the kit with the applicator gun http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesive-Manual-Applicator-Sticker/dp/B00KSF9TCW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464739190&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+panel+bond

David T
05-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Get 3m panel bond. Expensive, but once it sets, will literally hold metal panels together. And just about anything else...

Fiberglass repair or an adhesive like 3M but use a metal washer of the correct size for added strength around the rivnut. Or you could bond a small metal plate with a nut welded to it to the body.

mr_maxime
05-31-2016, 08:21 PM
So bond a fender washer along with it?

Soundkillr
05-31-2016, 08:58 PM
You can if you would like, but once cured that stuff is like liquid metal.....