http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-delorean-dmc-12/

DL4567
06-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Looks pretty shanty to me! :thumbdown:

Rich_NYS
06-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Looks pretty shanty to me! :thumbdown:

Well-played, sir! :thumbup:

I'll be glad to see someone else own this car.

sdg3205
06-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Any word why he's selling after investing in the refurb?

SoCalDMC12
06-02-2016, 12:40 AM
I ran into him a few months ago... he seemed genuinely happy with the car, though he did say that he didn't have much time to drive any of his cars, including this one. Maybe that's why he's getting rid of it?

Michael
06-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Odd they didn't mention the part when it caught fire.

OverlandMan
06-02-2016, 08:28 AM
What is the "DMC Fix Everything kit"? I've never heard of this.

Jonathan
06-02-2016, 09:25 AM
What is the "DMC Fix Everything kit"? I've never heard of this.

lol, +1

Fix everything kit to me would be a "core charge" arrangement where you could just give them your car and leave with a ready to go one. ;)

BladeBronson
06-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Odd they didn't mention the part when it caught fire.

His car caught fire? Before or after the restoration?

Michael
06-02-2016, 03:32 PM
His car caught fire? Before or after the restoration?
After

papanoel
06-02-2016, 04:30 PM
After

Are you sure? I don't remember hearing that. But I might have missed it.

That being said he has NOS fuel lines on the car right now.

drdelorean
06-02-2016, 07:48 PM
This is true. I belive it was caused by some electrical wire behind the drivers seat, if I'm not mistaken.. There was not a lot of damage to the car as I think they got it under control before it got too serious. I remember he posted a picture on twiter when his car was picked up by some road side assistance..

63SWC
06-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Having sold my 1981 DMC last year, I am looking to replace it and am watching this auction closely. Mine had many if not all of the same upgrades/updates/Stage II/etc. I hope this thread stays active for the upcoming days with pros & cons discussed. I have watched the restoration videos, etc but want as much disclosure as possible before attempting to make the purchase.

When I bought the '81, I flew into Oregon and drove it home to Mississippi with little problem at all. I would love to fly and drive this one from LA.

If you know something, say something. Thanks, CP

drdelorean
06-04-2016, 07:26 AM
It sure is a nice Delorean. I know a lot of people here dosent like Matt. I can't really judge as I've never met the guy, but that being said he can come off as a jerk and especially after the comment he made on one member's car on youtube. That aside he is selling a very nice and well documented car.

The reason I find this sale interesting is that I have almost an identical car. Mine is 82' (his is a 83) Mine has almost the same story. stored for 25years only had 1882 original miles on it. came with original tires and all. I spent a year searching for it. Ended up buying it, having Danny at DMC do a full restoration to it including eibach suspension, stage 2 upgrade and much more.. Everything besides that down to the ASI radio is original, grey, 5 speed manual. Danny even told me that my car is pretty much exactly like Matt's (not that I ever aimed to copy him for my restoration) I have planned this and saved for this for years.
So that being said it will be very interesting for me to see what his car sells for. Now I know I'm not a D-list internet celebrity and my car does not have the same PR as his, but still it will be interesting to watch what he will get for it.

Also here's an article I just saw on why he is selling it:

http://www.thedrive.com/vintage/3808/why-im-selling-my-delorean

SamHill
06-04-2016, 08:22 AM
He's too afraid to drive it for fear it will get damaged, which is no attitude to have. Also, which specialty car is he choosing to keep and why?

Michael
06-04-2016, 08:42 AM
16046 displayed none of the creaks and rattles I’d felt in other DeLoreans..... It was like driving a brand new one home from the showroom—only this DeLorean actually worked.

Yeah that's the attitude. Guy thinks his can drive on water and every other DeLorean out there that isn't his sucks wet dog fur. He has to run every other DeLorean down to build his up.

Michael
06-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Now you have the chance to own one as what is probably the most well-maintained DeLorean in history, owned by Matt Farah from The Smoking Tire, is now up for auction.

Being left for dead for 25 years then brought back to life is NOT well maintained

SamHill
06-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Getting a ton of free press. Even on MT online.

Riley88
06-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Being left for dead for 25 years then brought back to life is NOT well maintained Have to agree with you lol. Im VERY happy with my car, I am sure his is nice though but even in his videos he comes off as a buthead

SamHill
06-08-2016, 07:36 PM
$52K is the advertised sale.

Lenny
06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
$52K is the advertised sale.

I hope that's true. My car just went up in value :partyhat:

SamHill
06-08-2016, 08:55 PM
I hope that's true. My car just went up in value :partyhat:

You have to have friends blast it all over the internet though!

fnzen
06-09-2016, 02:34 AM
Problem with this is that EVERYBODY thinks their car is the same and value their car the same

seems like I remember some cranky old guy sold a DeLorean for over 100K but it didnt drive the market

Im delighted though

SoCalDMC12
06-09-2016, 02:43 AM
Having sold my 1981 DMC last year, I am looking to replace it and am watching this auction closely. Mine had many if not all of the same upgrades/updates/Stage II/etc. I hope this thread stays active for the upcoming days with pros & cons discussed. I have watched the restoration videos, etc but want as much disclosure as possible before attempting to make the purchase.

When I bought the '81, I flew into Oregon and drove it home to Mississippi with little problem at all. I would love to fly and drive this one from LA.

If you know something, say something. Thanks, CP

He had his car up at my school in the fall... it was in very good shape. Not stock, but one of the better ones that I've seen. (Not everyone gives a crap about stock vs. modified, but I think that all things being equal, unmodified cars go more quickly and for more money unless you find the right buyer.)

$52k... seems a bit high, but it seems like a lot of classic cars are going up in value.

fnzen
06-09-2016, 02:48 AM
He had his car up at my school in the fall... it was in very good shape. Not stock, but one of the better ones that I've seen. (Not everyone gives a crap about stock vs. modified, but I think that all things being equal, unmodified cars go more quickly and for more money unless you find the right buyer.)

$52k... seems a bit high, but it seems like a lot of classic cars are going up in value.

At this price it was high for non stock

Stock definitely are easier sellers from my experience

DMCVegas
06-09-2016, 02:52 PM
At this price it was high for non stock

Stock definitely are easier sellers from my experience

Depends upon what's been modified though. If it's something minor where for example the PO cut the center console to accommodate a modern DIN radio, that can be an selling point to help move the car.

If there are craptastic aftermarket wheels and a hacked-up electrical system, and/or aftermarket seats, that absolutely will be a harder sell than a stock car.

Timebender
06-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Things he mentions in the article that I just don't get:

1. Somehow a 30 mile drive for him to go to DMC Ca takes a half day to get there. 30 miles at 60 miles an hour is 30 minutes. Even in LA traffic, 30 miles at the most on a good day takes at most 45 minutes.. Everywhere I have to go in San Diego is a minimum of 30 miles or a half hour to 40 minute drive, and most everything is at least an hour away. I have no problem being in my DeLorean that long. Or any car for that fact.

2. He can't visit his car at the Petersen Museum because it's 45 minutes away. WHAT??? Seems like Farrah is a whiny baby about most everything.

Oh, wait, he's 35. I guess that explains a lot.
Though I was driving a half hour to work from my house to Sea World when I was a sophomore in high school and never thought the drive was too long.

But then a lot of people in his generation are a bunch of whiney, spoiled, me generation whiny babies.

(note, not all of them are, but a lot are).

Oh, and the thing with not wanting people to touch it or whatever - if you can't handle making others happy, then you don't deserve a DeLorean. Owning one takes a lot of selflessness, because you know you're going to get lots of looks, smiles, BTTF comments, questions, pictures, etc. EVERY TIME you take it out.

I have yet to see anything written by him or any of his videos where he comes across as that nice kind of guy.

Rich_NYS
06-11-2016, 01:14 AM
Things he mentions in the article that I just don't get:

1. Somehow a 30 mile drive for him to go to DMC Ca takes a half day to get there. 30 miles at 60 miles an hour is 30 minutes. Even in LA traffic, 30 miles at the most on a good day takes at most 45 minutes.. Everywhere I have to go in San Diego is a minimum of 30 miles or a half hour to 40 minute drive, and most everything is at least an hour away. I have no problem being in my DeLorean that long. Or any car for that fact.

2. He can't visit his car at the Petersen Museum because it's 45 minutes away. WHAT??? Seems like Farrah is a whiny baby about most everything.

Oh, wait, he's 35. I guess that explains a lot.
Though I was driving a half hour to work from my house to Sea World when I was a sophomore in high school and never thought the drive was too long.

But then a lot of people in his generation are a bunch of whiney, spoiled, me generation whiny babies.

(note, not all of them are, but a lot are).

Oh, and the thing with not wanting people to touch it or whatever - if you can't handle making others happy, then you don't deserve a DeLorean. Owning one takes a lot of selflessness, because you know you're going to get lots of looks, smiles, BTTF comments, questions, pictures, etc. EVERY TIME you take it out.

I have yet to see anything written by him or any of his videos where he comes across as that nice kind of guy.

Excellent post....I love it.

mr_maxime
06-11-2016, 11:59 AM
It's not the generation, he's just whiny. I frequently drove mine 50 miles to work. Now I drive my accord from Birmingham to Atlanta every weekend to work on my Delorean.

Timebender
06-12-2016, 01:05 AM
And this:
"Who wants to go to a car show where 40 other cars show up that are literally identical to yours? I can’t fathom what’s enjoyable about that?"

Uh, hmm, all the CORVETTE car club owners, all the SHELBY COBRA car club owners, all the MIATA car club owners, all the PORSCHE car club owners...

And of course us. But then I guess ALL car club owners are WEIRD in his opinion. I've belonged to 3 groups - the Runeriders, which are all folks who own a Honda Rune, the Strictly Vintage 2's, which are all split-window VW busses, and this group.

But then Mr. Farrah or MATT, really truly isn't a car guy, who gets along well with others, and loves sharing his passion with like-minded people from all various backgrounds and socioeconomic groups, seeing what they've done, their progress, their mods, etc.

If he was a true automotive enthusiast, he'd belong to some club, and he wouldn't worry about driving and ENJOYING his cars.

louielouie2000
06-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Meh, live and let live. We are all attracted to these cars for different reasons, and enjoy them in different ways. Am I surprised this car was turned around and sold so quickly after its purchase and restoration? Not at all. Onwards & upwards, I say.

Oh, and everyone thinks the generation that succeeds them is a mess. Baby boomers used to be the problem children because of sex, drugs, and rock & roll; then it was Gen X, and now it's us millennials. I'm almost 34, and from what I've seen and read from Matt Farrah, I can't say I can relate to him much other than the fact we've both owned DeLoreans. It's not all dire news for us millennials either, just as it wasn't for the generations who preceded us:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242155
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2013/09/04/why-you-cant-ignore-millennials/#4107d1586c65

best_of_the_80s
02-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Gotta say I found his article (posted earlier in this thread) quite revealing about his character... all the "I's" and "me's" and the bits you guys mentioned about him essentially bashing guys that enjoying hanging out because their car brings them together.

Ok Matt, we get it. You're way too cool for us. Good riddance.

Anybody know who bought his DMC-12?

Farrar
02-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Ok Matt, we get it. You're way too cool for us.

I got the same vibe from his videos. Then I read the article. Seems like he didn't really know what he was in for. When you own a DeLorean, you own a piece of pop culture history. You can roll with it -- or you can be frustrated that, to everyone you meet, your car is now by far the most interesting thing about you, and because you can't get over yourself you have to sell it. Personally, I don't mind stepping away from the car and becoming totally anonymous. But people have different personalities. I guess that's why there are different cars out there...

Michael
02-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Gregadeth
02-04-2019, 05:35 PM
It's funny how these YouTube guys buy a DeLorean and say it's their dream car. Then, within a year, they either sell the car or let it burn in a Rite Aid parking lot. :umm:

eight8toy
02-04-2019, 05:55 PM
I had my delorean at Radwood LA in December and he was there. He walked right by my car, I was hoping he'd stop and say Hi but nah. I was the only delorean there too. Maybe he came by while I was away and I missed him, who knows. :(

About time
02-04-2019, 06:44 PM
It's funny how these YouTube guys buy a DeLorean and say it's their dream car. Then, within a year, they either sell the car or let it burn in a Rite Aid parking lot. :umm:

Ever see a girl and say, "Wow, she's my dream girl"? (or something akin to that?) Only to find out shortly thereafter she wasn't your cup of tea?

It happens, they call it life.

Michael
02-04-2019, 07:15 PM
I had my delorean at Radwood LA in December and he was there. He walked right by my car, I was hoping he'd stop and say Hi but nah. I was the only delorean there too. Maybe he came by while I was away and I missed him, who knows. :(

Your car was too shanty for him

Gregadeth
02-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Ever see a girl and say, "Wow, she's my dream girl"? (or something akin to that?) Only to find out shortly thereafter she wasn't your cup of tea?

It happens, they call it life.I think you missed the point I was making. If you buy the car and decide it's not for you, that's one thing. I'm talking specifically about the guys with Youtube channels / social media pages who buy their "dream car", shoot a couple of videos with it and then get rid of it.

(DOCUK) theningiachicken
02-05-2019, 05:24 AM
I'm talking specifically about the guys with Youtube channels / social media pages who buy their "dream car", shoot a couple of videos with it and then get rid of it.

not exactly since ive seen 3-4 youtubers that have one or even two and love them and have had them for a few years

About time
02-05-2019, 02:05 PM
I think you missed the point I was making. If you buy the car and decide it's not for you, that's one thing. I'm talking specifically about the guys with Youtube channels / social media pages who buy their "dream car", shoot a couple of videos with it and then get rid of it.

My guess is these youtubers are buying a car, hyping up their love of it to get more views to make more money, to buy another car of their dreams to sell and buy another to sell to get more views etc....

They may love the car for different reasons then you and I.

dodint
02-05-2019, 03:13 PM
It's not just Deloreans. Regular Car Reviews did it with the White MR2. Fawned over it for about a year and then sold it on BaT.

vwdmc16
02-05-2019, 04:14 PM
This is still the case with him now that he bought his next dream car. A Countach.

It broke down on him on the side of PCH and for hours he was being bothered by people wanting to talk to him and see the car. Lol.

I got the same vibe from his videos. Then I read the article. Seems like he didn't really know what he was in for. When you own a DeLorean, you own a piece of pop culture history. You can roll with it -- or you can be frustrated that, to everyone you meet, your car is now by far the most interesting thing about you, and because you can't get over yourself you have to sell it. Personally, I don't mind stepping away from the car and becoming totally anonymous. But people have different personalities. I guess that's why there are different cars out there...