PDA

View Full Version : Suspension New Rack from DMC

smcguiga
06-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Who all have installed the new rack from DMC? I just finished swapping it out with new tie rod ends and the steering is much harder. I assume this is just because its new but I just wanted to check. When I turn, I have to turn the wheel back as it doesn't attempt to straighten up at all after a turn. I don't expect power steering ease, but my original one didn't require as much work. I can only assume the new rack needs no oil or grease, just install it and go. ??

DMCMW Dave
06-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Who all have installed the new rack from DMC? I just finished swapping it out with new tie rod ends and the steering is much harder. I assume this is just because its new but I just wanted to check. When I turn, I have to turn the wheel back as it doesn't attempt to straighten up at all after a turn. I don't expect power steering ease, but my original one didn't require as much work. I can only assume the new rack needs no oil or grease, just install it and go. ??

It's unusual that it's that noticeable, but it will loosen up a bit with some driving. It should not take long. It's all pre-lubed, nothing needed in that respect.

Did you happen to install a new steering column bushing at the same time? That can have a notable effect as well.

smcguiga
06-06-2016, 02:17 PM
It's unusual that it's that noticeable, but it will loosen up a bit with some driving. It should not take long. It's all pre-lubed, nothing needed in that respect.

Did you happen to install a new steering column bushing at the same time? That can have a notable effect as well.

No new steering bushing...according to PO invoices it was replaced a few years ago. Yeah I figure with everything being new and tight that it might take some time to loosen up. I installed lowered springs and shocks, rotors and pads as well. I debated trying to do the ball joints but they weren't loose at all...definitely have some rusty spots in there that I'll need to address soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERPAWn3aw-A

Rich_NYS
06-06-2016, 02:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERPAWn3aw-A

Good video, I bet you can do a helluva Matthew McConaughey impression....!

smcguiga
06-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Good video, I bet you can do a helluva Matthew McConaughey impression....!

LOL...alright alright alright! I'll have to work on that one. :) The southern accent definitely comes out huh?

mluder
06-06-2016, 11:10 PM
I installed one about 6 months ago... I don't recall it being too tight initially.
I assume you had an alignment done afterwards?

Cheers
Steven

Parzval
06-07-2016, 01:04 AM
I agree with the alignment question. I don't have a DeLorean, but my Camaro had the same "not returning to center on it's own" problem. It felt like the steering had drag on it. It was also very wishy-washy in turns, like the tires didn't have enough air. Turned out it had a toe-out. Got it corrected and it returns to center on its own now and rides through turns like it's on rails. If you haven't done so, give an alignment a shot.

smcguiga
06-07-2016, 09:58 AM
I installed one about 6 months ago... I don't recall it being too tight initially.
I assume you had an alignment done afterwards?

Cheers
Steven

That was my next thought. I purchased some alignment plates and checked everything myself. Initially I was about 1/4" toe out when I first finished the install but readjusted until I got 1/8" toe in. Naturally this isn't laser accurate but the plates had pretty good reviews. Will probably go ahead and take it somewhere anyway to confirm.

Mark D
06-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I agree with the alignment question. I don't have a DeLorean, but my Camaro had the same "not returning to center on it's own" problem. It felt like the steering had drag on it. It was also very wishy-washy in turns, like the tires didn't have enough air. Turned out it had a toe-out. Got it corrected and it returns to center on its own now and rides through turns like it's on rails. If you haven't done so, give an alignment a shot.

I'd like to hear more about the Camaro :)

smcguiga
06-08-2016, 11:38 PM
So I had an alignment done and it was off in the front a bit...the driver side tire was slightly toed out and the passenger side was about right. Now they are ~ 0.12inches toe in on both which is spec per the service bulletin. This didn't' really change the tight steering issue as far as I can tell. I didn't do anything with the rear as I plan to do a spring/shock/rotor/pad replacement on the rear soon and will get it adjusted then. However, I know there is no caster adjustment, but the drivers side seems to be off a bit. Anything at all to do here?

Trstno1
02-12-2017, 01:26 AM

What ever happened with this? Was everything better after the alignment and break in period? I too have a new DMC rack, and just hooking it up to the steering u-joint linkage it seems to be tighter. Especially far left. It seems much looser far right. Hmmm...