PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Door open switch stopped working

homeselljeff
06-07-2016, 06:16 PM
My door open light stopped working and the doom and door light switch stays on most of the time . Could it be a bad switch ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdg3205
06-07-2016, 07:28 PM
My door open light stopped working and the doom and door light switch stays on most of the time . Could it be a bad switch ?
Thanks

They are two different switches. If the interior lights are staying on, you may have lost the rubber tip on that switch. If the door open light on in the cluster stopped it could be the switch OR the bulb burnt out. If you fiddle with the switch, you may see it light up.

At any rate those switches are pretty .... um.... basic. Remove and clean them, lube them up and see how it goes.

I also installed a black piece of foam on the door side to help make batter contact with the switches.

homeselljeff
06-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Ok I think the door open bulb is out but the driver door light switch is not working right if I push on the door it goes off the passenger door light switch works fine but no door open light from that side either

homeselljeff
06-08-2016, 08:21 AM
The foam pad worked for the door lights now how do I get to the door open bulb?

Kukem
06-08-2016, 09:01 AM
The foam pad worked for the door lights now how do I get to the door open bulb?

I believe you have to take the binnacle out. It is not that hard to do, but can be a bit nerve wracking the first time. This is a good write up, DML Binnacle Removal (http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/dashboard.html) but if you search "DeLorean Binnacle removal" on Google, you'll get some good hits too.

sdg3205
06-08-2016, 12:04 PM
+1

The hardest part is getting on your back under the dash. From there it's 6 x 7mm nuts and washers to remove and the binnacle lifts up, at which point you disconnect two harnesses and the speedometer cable. The circuit board is fragile, so be extremely careful - the traces can lift and tear.

Now is a good time to make sure all your bulbs are working.