PDA

View Full Version : General Fiberglass headliner replacement questions

cdmcali
06-11-2016, 04:04 PM
I am replacing my headliners with the fiberglass ones from DMC and have a couple questions. I have been following Warren Wallingford's instructions and not sure about a couple things.

1. There is a foam/rubber part that is on the old liner near the front light. Do I need to reuse that on the fiberglass part?

2. Does the headliner sit inside or outside of the fiberglass shell on the front?

Christian Dietrich
06-11-2016, 04:33 PM
That foam liner is not factory or at least to my knowledge it's not because there wasn't one on mine when I removed it. The headliner show go right to the edge of the fiberglass molding and it is concealed buy the weather stripping and you need to be careful when you apply the glue because if water gets up in there the headliner material will soak it up like a wick. I am in the process of redoing my headliner as well and I got the same kid that you did from DMC and when I removed mine there was no foam near the front dome light

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

iflights
06-11-2016, 05:51 PM
I just replaced my headliners with the fiberglass version two weekends ago but purchased from DMCMW and there was no foam at that position on the headliner.

cdmcali
06-12-2016, 12:57 AM
That foam liner is not factory or at least to my knowledge it's not because there wasn't one on mine when I removed it. The headliner show go right to the edge of the fiberglass molding and it is concealed buy the weather stripping and you need to be careful when you apply the glue because if water gets up in there the headliner material will soak it up like a wick. I am in the process of redoing my headliner as well and I got the same kid that you did from DMC and when I removed mine there was no foam near the front dome light

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get it in. The fiberglass front panel had the metal bracket crooked and too far back. Ended up having to grind off a quarter inch of it to slide it back far enough. Glue is drying and hopefully be able to put the weather strip on tomorrow.

Christian Dietrich
06-12-2016, 04:24 AM
Sure no problem and I'm glad to help out because I'm finishing up putting my interior in and I'm going to be doing the headliner very soon as I just finished gluing in all the new fiberglass a-pillar moldings.

BABIS
06-12-2016, 05:58 AM
2. Does the headliner sit inside or outside of the fiberglass shell on the front?

I am interested in this too, since it's a long time that my car doesn't have the headliner lol

cdmcali
06-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I am interested in this too, since it's a long time that my car doesn't have the headliner lol

With the firberglass ones it sat on the inside of the fiberglass shell of the car. The bracket that was on the headliner from the one from DMC was crooked and a little too far back. I had to cut some off to get it to go inside. Without doing that I could not get the screws to match up on the sun visors.