PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Front bumper pics needed!

krs09
07-01-2016, 12:52 AM
I took my front bumper into the paint shop after I straightened the eyebrows 25 days ago. The bumper comes in today and the ENTIRE fascia is painted gray. Now while the paint work and color looks great, it has to go back. So now I really need to jog their memory with the paint scheme and color/finish of black for the "bumper" and the lower portion (are they the same finish?). So any pics of a original paint scheme bumper, preferably removed. Looking for good shots of the sides and the bottom half... What finish of black are the bumpers? Matte, satin? Thanks for any help. Just really scared of getting this thing back after waiting more than a month and being bummed.

jmettee
07-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Good news is they can paint the black right over top of the grey. That's how they did mine. SEM Trim Black is what many people use, it comes in matte or high gloss, depending on what you desire. I went with the matte as it's close to the factory look.

Pics attached. Along the front, the lower black runs up the the radius where it transitions from vertical to the "under slope" of the bumper. Along the side, I tried to show the measurement that comes close to the line on the lower fascia where it meets the stainless. Even if this is off a bit, it still looks decent. Each car is different - you'd have to put it on your car & mark it if you want it to exactly line up.

Mark D
07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
I would be irate and the body shop would be stripping the entire bumper back to raw black urethane and starting over. That's just me though and I'm probably more particular than most.

Painting black over the silver is one option but it will never look the same as the original unpainted black finish of the raw urethane. Over time bugs and rocks will chip off the black paint revealing silver below and it won't look right. The plain black urethane is more more durable than a painted finish and can be wet sanded and buffed back to the original finish if it gets scuffed or scratched.

For the body shop to make this right they should strip all the paint, wet sand and restore the finish of the black areas, and then mask/paint the silver.

Photo ref for fascia paint lines. Sorry some of these are a litle blurry. This is a completely stock fascia that has never been refinished so these are the factory correct paint breaks.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44127&d=1467380611

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44126&d=1467380600

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44124&d=1467380578

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44125&d=1467380590

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44123&d=1467380567

Rich
07-01-2016, 05:12 PM
+1 on this remark and advice.

On top of the non-factory look you'll get with the black paint the front fascia will no longer match the rear assuming the rear is still original.

I would be irate and the body shop would be stripping the entire bumper back to raw black urethane and starting over. That's just me though and I'm probably more particular than most.

Painting black over the silver is one option but it will never look the same as the original unpainted black finish of the raw urethane. Over time bugs and rocks will chip off the black paint revealing silver below and it won't look right. The plain black urethane is more more durable than a painted finish and can be wet sanded and buffed back to the original finish if it gets scuffed or scratched.

For the body shop to make this right they should strip all the paint, wet sand and restore the finish of the black areas, and then mask/paint the silver.

krs09
07-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Thank you guys for getting back so fast, the pictures are great. I really can't be too mad. I just gave them the bumper and told them to redo it, I didn't give them super particular info. They were squeezing it in for me and helping me out. The problem is I am very particular so I hope all this new info will help them. I'll put up pics as soon as it comes back.

BigBenb84
07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Funny you say this, same thing almost happened to me last week! Both fascias are at the paint shop for a week then they call me: "Could you send us pics of how you would like it painted, like the black parts?" I told them to repaint them the same as I brought them in. I'm guessing they had sanded them down. He said he was debating with the shooter how it should be. Anyway, I sent him some of the pics below. Side note it took a week for them to do it, then when I went to pick them up the end part of the rear black section was rough texture, like primer feeling so I told them to fix that. I'm now a week from that day. 2 weeks total, ugh.

sorry they are sideways. I'm not proficient enough on this new MAC to fix it. This is when I was loading them to take them in:
44160 44161

krs09
07-16-2016, 11:07 PM
What do you guys think a repaint of the front bumper would cost? Roughly. I'm having my front bumper done by a shop I'm kinda in with and I just realized they never gave me a cost. I should have it back Monday and now I'm a little scared. What's a round about for stripping and painting with the right paints and all the bells and whistles, they also said they are going to try to straighten the whole thing out. They did get the bumper off the car so hopefully that might save some labor. ... nervous.

BigBenb84
07-16-2016, 11:17 PM
$200 per bumper is what I was charged. Added $50 for satin finish. No repairs or straightening done.

DMCMW Dave
07-16-2016, 11:37 PM
$200 per bumper is what I was charged. Added $50 for satin finish. No repairs or straightening done.

That's insanely cheap.

jmettee
07-18-2016, 11:52 AM
That's insanely cheap.

^^^ This! ^^^

Depending on the shop & the paint brands they use, the $500-$1000 range is what could be expected for BOTH bumpers, strip, sand, & paint.

krs09
07-19-2016, 01:04 AM
So I finally got my bumper back from the paint shop and it looks great! I was worried if they were going to be able to match the old color but I looks spot on, although the bumpers were repainted at some point I decided to match that color. The black looks great too. I'm just relieved. So after all said and done, with the stripping,sanding,paint,clearcoat,satin overlay,delivery,tax with a lifetime guarentee it came to $425. Now I have to get the rear done (in worse shape than the front) in the very near future. I'll put up better pics in the daylight when it's installed but here are a few I snapped real quick.

Rich_NYS
07-19-2016, 10:11 AM
So I finally got my bumper back from the paint shop and it looks great! I was worried if they were going to be able to match the old color but I looks spot on, although the bumpers were repainted at some point I decided to match that color. The black looks great too. I'm just relieved. So after all said and done, with the stripping,sanding,paint,clearcoat,satin overlay,delivery,tax with a lifetime guarentee it came to $425.

Looks nice, what instructions did you initially give them? Did you provide the paint codes?

bfloyd
07-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Depending on the shop & the paint brands they use, the $500-$1000 range is what could be expected for BOTH bumpers, strip, sand, & paint.

Yep. I just had mine redone about a month ago. Had front and rear done for $800.00 for both.

krs09
07-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Looks nice, what instructions did you initially give them? Did you provide the paint codes?

I basically just gave them my bumper (I took it off the car) and asked them to just strip it and redo it. They got the paint company to come by to match the paint and provide the "new" paint code, I believe they used a camera to match the color .. I think. Although they had to overlay the black on top of the gray paint for the middle and bottom sections. I really wanted the bottom to be bare sanded urathane like the factory scheme (I think). They did give me a guarantee to cover chipping on the black sections.to

81dmc
07-20-2016, 12:16 AM
$200 per bumper is what I was charged.

Well I sure am jealous.

Also, does anyone have a dark gray fascia? I'm debating whether I should eventually paint both like my rims, which are Porsche Panamera gray.

Morpheus
07-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Well I sure am jealous.

Also, does anyone have a dark gray fascia? I'm debating whether I should eventually paint both like my rims, which are Porsche Panamera gray.

A pic of said rims would be awesome...:D

DMC-81
07-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Well I sure am jealous.

Hi Rodolfo,

I have dark gray fascias and wheels. I had my fascias repainted last fall with the correct paint code from DMC. Here are pics if it helps:

Cheers,

81dmc
07-20-2016, 10:54 AM
A pic of said rims would be awesome...:D

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40942

Morpheus
07-20-2016, 11:33 AM
^

They're so....beautiful!!

krs09
08-01-2016, 08:47 AM
I finally got the bumper on. Fitment was a bitch. I always had a gap on either side of the bumper which I was hoping to fix but when you move one thing you mess up everything else. So I pulled the sides in close but then the center of the bumper was pressed against the hood so it made a popping sound everytime I opened the hood. So after the constant corrections, compromises and hours of cursing and sweating its on. I am a little bit of a perfectionist so it kills me that's it not perfect but it is way better. It could be straighter and fitted better but the color looks good and everything mostly lines up. I am pleased. Finally got to drive it after a 2 month ordeal. Annnnd now my pics are sideways.

BigBenb84
08-02-2016, 06:25 PM
...So I pulled the sides in close but then the center of the bumper was pressed against the hood so it made a popping sound everytime I opened the hood.

I recently put mine back on after a repaint too. I just made sure the two ends touched up against the fender then screwed in the 7(?) screws across the top under the hood lip. I was lucky it fit nice. Seems as though your fascia doesn't have enough arc to it or the hood has too much since the ends are gapped nicely then touches in the center. Maybe take out the center screws under the hood lip and pull the center of the fascia out a tiny bit and tighten the screws back up? Give it more curve. I know its not real flexing in that regard but mayyyyybe?

Mine: 45088 45089

PS I found to get iPhone pics to show correct when uploaded, hold the phone landscape-wise with the volume buttons down and use the volume buttons to take the pic.

Drive Stainless
08-03-2016, 08:46 AM
If it's rubbing the hood in the center, your hood is too far forward. Loosen the hood hinge bolts and move it back some. The front edge of the hood should not line up with the edge of the fenders.

krs09
08-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I recently put mine back on after a repaint too. I just made sure the two ends touched up against the fender then screwed in the 7(?) screws across the top under the hood lip. I was lucky it fit nice. Seems as though your fascia doesn't have enough arc to it or the hood has too much since the ends are gapped nicely then touches in the center. Maybe take out the center screws under the hood lip and pull the center of the fascia out a tiny bit and tighten the screws back up? Give it more curve. I know its not real flexing in that regard but mayyyyybe?

Mine: 45088 45089

PS I found to get iPhone pics to show correct when uploaded, hold the phone landscape-wise with the volume buttons down and use the volume buttons to take the pic.

Yeah, that fit looks great. Very jealous... I tried everything. I first reintalled the hood, first centering from side to side then I adjusted the hood all the way back (to the windshield) until I just cleared the wiper arm. Once I had the hood on I then put the bumper on. I did push in both sides as far as it could go, the driver side was nearly flush but the passenger side fiberglass reinforcement was hitting the washers under the passenger side fender preventing me to get it flush. So after I had it set as close as I could i snugged up the two bolts behind the outer headlights and loosely screwed the other screws in. After closing the hood that's when I heard the popping. I pulled the bumper forward as much as it would go without compromising the ends and used large washers under the 5 screws in the reinforcement to get it down. After all the shit I think the fenders have to be rolled forward just a tad. Shitty. ... those little gaps drive me nuts