PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Outer door weatherstripping

spikeygg
07-16-2016, 08:34 PM
I just inherited this DeLorean and I'm looking at my door jambs; I noticed that I have the outer rear weatherstripping for my passenger side but none of the other out pieces. I want to buy these but I'd like to get one that matches the strip I've got because it looks nice. The piece I have appears to be glued down (really well). I looked at the www.delorean.com options and their weatherstripping is adhesive-backed.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will it stick adequately?

Also, any idea how I can match the piece I already have installed? I can take a better closeup of it if that helps...

DMCMW Dave
07-16-2016, 10:11 PM
I just inherited this DeLorean and I'm looking at my door jambs; I noticed that I have the outer rear weatherstripping for my passenger side but none of the other out pieces. I want to buy these but I'd like to get one that matches the strip I've got because it looks nice. The piece I have appears to be glued down (really well). I looked at the www.delorean.com options and their weatherstripping is adhesive-backed.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will it stick adequately?

Also, any idea how I can match the piece I already have installed? I can take a better closeup of it if that helps...

The DeLorean Motor Co (DeLorean.com) outer weatherstripping is NOT adhesive backed. You glue it on with weatherstrip adhesive. Where does it say adhesive backed?

spikeygg
07-16-2016, 11:31 PM
The DeLorean Motor Co (DeLorean.com) outer weatherstripping is NOT adhesive backed. You glue it on with weatherstrip adhesive. Where does it say adhesive backed?

Oh, oops. I guess I was looking at too many sites, you're right it's not adhesive backed. So where do you get some weatherstrip adhesive? Is it like tape or like paint?

DMCMW Dave
07-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Oh, oops. I guess I was looking at too many sites, you're right it's not adhesive backed. So where do you get some weatherstrip adhesive? Is it like tape or like paint?

Go to any good parts store and ask for "3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive". It's like a toothpaste tube.

content22207_2
07-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Use lacquer thinner to clean up any 3M Super Weatherstrip that oozes out. Other solvents won't touch it (Acetone sort of works, but lacquer thinner works better).

Bill Robertson

DMCMW Dave
07-17-2016, 12:47 AM
Use lacquer thinner to clean up any 3M Super Weatherstrip that oozes out. Other solvents won't touch it (Acetone sort of works, but lacquer thinner works better).

Actually the best thing to remove it with is called "3M Adhesive Remover". Which is, I believe, naptha repackaged at about $25/quart.

mluder
07-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Actually the best thing to remove it with is called "3M Adhesive Remover". Which is, I believe, naptha repackaged at about $25/quart.

Second this... The 3M Adhesive Remover works great. Sadly most auto parts stores have stopped carrying it.
I'll have to try hardware store naptha.

Cheers
Steven

spikeygg
07-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Second this... The 3M Adhesive Remover works great. Sadly most auto parts stores have stopped carrying it.
I'll have to try hardware store naptha.

Cheers
Steven

Is this the stuff? https://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhesive-Remover-oz/dp/B000BQYA7W

Is it safe to use on the stainless? It looks like someone did a messy job of attaching some of the weatherstripping on my car and got it on the stainless. :( I'd like to clean it off, is this the answer? :)

Seems to be in an aerosol can, is that normal? I wonder how the directions read...

content22207_2
07-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Lacquer thinner is $10-$12 a gallon. Cuts through a wide variety of hard to clean substances, including Great Stuff expando foam. Available at Lowes, Home Despot, Wally World, etc.

Bill Robertson