PDA

View Full Version : Headers Exhaust Houston or DPI

Lenny
07-19-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm looking to buy new headers for my DeLorean. I'm assuming that all vendors will be at DCS later this week.

Which do you like better DPI or Houston's? Here are my questions?
1. Best performance
2. Best sound
3. Best construction
Best Stainless
If it is the same stainless which is thicker
Which will last the longest.

I have original (non-stainless) Houston Stage I headers. The sound great but the powercoat is flaking off.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10337-stage-i-exhaust-upgrade.aspx
http://www.deloreanindustries.com/spec-i-exhaust/

Mark D
07-19-2016, 10:51 AM
+1

Also looking for some good comparison info. I've never seen any actual numbers posted for advertised HP increase. If it's a marginal gain that's fine, but I at least want to know I'm paying for the sound and not the performance.

Lenny
07-19-2016, 10:59 AM
+1

Also looking for some good comparison info. I've never seen any actual numbers posted for advertised HP increase. If it's a marginal gain that's fine, but I at least want to know I'm paying for the sound and not the performance.

I can talk about the sound it rumbles, I love it, it sounds like a 60's Chevy 357. I've pulled up to stoplights and my car just rumbles. People have rolled down the windows and asked what engine I have in it. I tell them a V6 and they just laugh, they can't believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQUoyW2fRw

DMCVegas
07-19-2016, 11:08 AM
I have original (non-stainless) Houston Stage I headers. The sound great but the powercoat is flaking off.

Give Houston a call on that. If memory serves, many of the very first headers they sold had that problem, and they would address it free of charge.

Chris4099
07-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Which do you like better DPI or Houston's? Here are my questions?
1. Best performance
2. Best sound
3. Best construction
Best Stainless
If it is the same stainless which is thicker
Which will last the longest.

I've owned a DPI system for nearly 6 years now and have been in a DMCH equipped car as well (original pre-stainless stage 2). The biggest difference is volume. The DPI has a bigger muffler which eliminates the loud drone you get on the highway. Still sounds great, just lets you enjoy other aspects of driving the car instead of forcing you to think about the exhaust all the time. :)

Construction is solid. Thick flanges and good welds. I haven't had a single problem with it since installation. Josh used to show his wall of DMCH systems that his customers have replaced with his setup. DMCH hasn't been able to do the same thing as far as I'm aware. So take that for what it's worth.

I can't comment on performance as I've never driven a DMCH Stage 2 with a DPI exhaust. But there was definitely a nice bump in performance from stock. So I would expect either the same or better performance if you swapped.

Have you removed the Nology system yet? If so, that should provide few extra HP too.

sdg3205
07-19-2016, 12:31 PM
+1 for the DPI set up.

Houston's new muffler is a rectangular box, which is to accommodate the Stage III blower. Take a look at it. I don't like it because it looks home made. Just my two cents.

louielouie2000
07-19-2016, 01:51 PM
+1 for the DPI set up.

Houston's new muffler is a rectangular box, which is to accommodate the Stage III blower. Take a look at it. I don't like it because it looks home made. Just my two cents.

This. In addition, I also don't care for the way the headers, catalytic converters, and exhaust pipes themselves hang down below the rear fascia and quarter panels. The DPI exhaust tucks everything out of sight much better for a cleaner look.

DPI exhaust:
http://media.collectorcarpricetracker.com/auction_data/2013/12/23/301048629197/14.jpg

DMC-Texas exhaust:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_renuAd3ciIo/SDtFkIP-2tI/AAAAAAAAALo/_FXlxYWu1jk/s400/Blog_Pic_16B.jpg

dn010
07-19-2016, 02:58 PM
I have a DPI exhaust and I'm right down the road if you ever want to hear it in person. I can tell you that the exhaust sounds great outside the car but inside it can get to be quite loud. I plan to put some sound deadening material behind the seats.

Ikeaboy1
07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I couldn't be happier with the fit, finish, and sound of my DPI. Plenty loud without being obnoxious. Zero drone.

Delorean Industries
07-19-2016, 05:00 PM
I will not be in attendance Lenny. Feel free to email or call with any additional questions on our offerings.

kenny
07-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Hi Lenny,
Similar to you I had a dmch jet-coated exhaust and last winter replaced it with a dpi stainless exhaust as the Houston one had developed a few rust holes at the manifold. The Houston one was much louder but I'm much happier with the dpi volume. Less drone at speed but you lose the nice rumble at low speed.
Metal looks thicker than the original Houston exhaust, I haven't seen the Houston stainless system.
Didn't notice any real difference in performance.
However don't expect quick responses from dpi, I first emailed a month ago with 2 more emails looking to order high value parts and haven't had any reply.

Iznodmad
07-19-2016, 06:12 PM
I've had both the DPI and the DMCH. Put thousands of miles on both and was much more pleased with the DPI vs DMCH from all aspects. Really can't go wrong with any product from DPI as the quality is the best available in the world.

Delorean Industries
07-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks as always Darren. Sorry Kenny I must have missed it. I'll look for it and respond

kenny
07-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Great Josh [emoji106]

kenny
07-20-2016, 06:19 AM
Josh, I just resent the emails in case you have misplaced the last ones.

Delorean Industries
07-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Lenny, Change of plans on this end and I will be at the show delivering a car tomorrow afternoon. If you would like we can bring you a system to save you on shipping costs. Plus we do a slight discount for the show.

Regards- Josh

Lenny
07-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Lenny, Change of plans on this end and I will be at the show delivering a car tomorrow afternoon. If you would like we can bring you a system to save you on shipping costs. Plus we do a slight discount for the show.

Regards- Josh

I get there Friday at 13:00. I'll see you then. If I buy them please make sure you have a box I can ship them home in :cool:

Delorean Industries
07-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I get there Friday at 13:00. I'll see you then. If I buy them please make sure you have a box I can ship them home in :cool:

I have some other obligations most likely forcing me back to Ohio on Thursday evening. There will be a full system on display with Darren deckers cars. If you would like it we will drop ship free of charge from Ohio. This way it is properly boxed etc. let me know if this works!

81dmc
07-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Josh's system sounds much more fine, and DMCH's sounds more like ricer IMHO.

Christian Dietrich
07-24-2016, 10:47 AM
I like the DPI exhaust better than the DMC one. Mainly in construction. I have worked on a few DeLoreans to fix the exhaust gasket leak at the flange's. DMC only uses 2 bolts to hold it in place and the DPI 3 bolts which better seals it and after being on my car almost 4 years now, still sounds great and no leaks. Engine is stock but revs great and a slight bump in power!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk