PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Small crack on driver's side spindle / steering knuckle

Gregadeth
07-19-2016, 04:07 PM
I found this little crack on the back of the driver side hub / steering knuckle where one of the bolts goes through. Not sure how long it's been there, and it even looks like it may have been broken off and glued back before though I can't be sure.

44676 44677 44678 44679 44680

Can it be repaired, or do I need to replace the whole thing? Thanks

David T
07-19-2016, 05:16 PM
That appears to be a non-critical area of the steering knuckle. It holds the dust shield in place. It most likely can be repaired but any mechanic doing this would recommend replacing it when there is any question about it's integrity. It is one of the most critical parts of the car, holding the front wheel, the brakes, and suspension. Good catch! What you are talking about is in 5-1-0 ref #1 pn 100089 left side front upright. It has 4 ears that holds the bolts that hold the dust shield.

DMCMW Dave
07-19-2016, 11:52 PM
I agree - looks like a non-critical failure point (probably from someone taking the dust shield off with a hammer) but I would not mess around with the casting that connects the front wheel to the steering rack. Don't even think about welding it. I'd have it on my "stuff to do" list for sure.

Gregadeth
07-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks Daves! I'm glad to hear it's not a critical issue. I think I'll just put some heavy duty glue on it to make sure it stays in place, and just check up on it from time to time.

David T
07-20-2016, 08:09 PM
I don't think glue is going to be enough. For what it's worth, I don't think you have to do anything except keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. When I see that kind of thing I start to look more critically for other damage because anyone who could do that could have done other (possibly worse) damage.