PDA

View Full Version : General Possible brake leaking?

Lwanmtr
08-05-2016, 01:26 AM
I was doing some work and happened to notice something had been dripping near the left rear wheel. It's not red, so its probably not tranny fluid running down the axle and dripping (i know i have a tranny cooling line leaking already on the other side).

I thought maybe parking brake related, but thats cable driven?

Could it be brake line leaking or something else?

DMC-81
08-05-2016, 07:52 AM
It's probably a brake line, although a pic would be helpful. The flex hose is on the inboard side of the trailing arm, then it goes to a hard line that runs along the arm and connects to the caliper. Plus there is a hard line bridge to the other side of the caliper. There are 4 fittings on the rear caliper including the bleed one to check aside from the lines.
Also check your shocks.

Yes, the parking brake is cable driven.

David T
08-05-2016, 09:55 AM
It's probably a brake line, although a pic would be helpful. The flex hose is on the inboard side of the trailing arm, then it goes to a hard line that runs along the arm and connects to the caliper. Plus there is a hard line bridge to the other side of the caliper. There are 4 fittings on the rear caliper including the bleed one to check aside from the lines.
Also check your shocks.

Yes, the parking brake is cable driven.

A leak in that area could also be the cooling system. Check your fluid levels and see if any of them are low. If it is a brake fluid leak, that is pretty serious. Pull the wheel off and look closely.

Jonathan
08-05-2016, 10:36 AM
In addition to what Dana and Dave said, figure out what type of fluid it is if possible.

If it is dripping down the rear axle on its own, get a clean, white piece of paper towel and dab at some of it. The colour of the fluid will be the first thing to help you figure out where it is coming from.

Green (or possibly yellow) is likely coolant.
Red (bright red usually, pink even) is the automatic transmission fluid (ATF)

When it is some sort of brown, it gets a bit trickier. Smell can help too believe it or not. Not taste though, lol.

Engine oil will be brown, usually a lighter brown depending on when it was last changed. The final drive/rear axle (on both transmissions) uses gear oil and while it is brown, it usually smells a bit different. Like pungent smelling, if that's the right word. If you have new containers of both, do a smell comparison and you'll know what I mean.

Anything dripping or leaking from above can splatter just about anywhere while you're out driving and it is dripping down. Brake fluid is brown too and likely a bit clearer. You can open up your brake fluid reservoir up front and look at what the fluid in there looks like. Check the level too since if it is leaking brake fluid, that reservoir will eventually be low (it has to come from somewhere).

Manual transmissions would add into that mix the clutch fluid as well, but you don't have to worry about that with the automatic.

Try to narrow down what kind of fluid it is and then we'll help you figure out what parts of that fluid's systems might be in the area you're seeing the drips. Could be simple like the oil pressure sender on the left side leaking (engine oil). If it is brake fluid, and has been leaking enough, seeing what the level in the reservoir is doing will be your best indicator. As mentioned, likely some aspect of the short, flexible hose right at the wheel that got compromised for whatever reason. Either old or got bumped, and the fittings on either end need attention.

Mark D
08-05-2016, 10:50 AM
It might be less likely than a brake fluid leak, but one other thing to check is the condition of your rear shocks. If they're blown out they start leaking oil and it will get all over the place.

DMCVegas
08-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Had a leak like this when I first got the car. Turned out the bleeder screw on the left, rear caliper wasn't tightened down all the way. Made a mess. The backside of my wheel looked like a spin art painting.

Examine the fluid first like everyone is recommending first. Then poke your head under and start tracing it down.

sdg3205
08-05-2016, 11:56 AM
If you have a pressure bleeder you can pressurize the system and see if you can provoke it.

Lwanmtr
08-05-2016, 03:42 PM
I'll get a pic later when I open the garage to do some more fillding about.

I havent driven her since last september. I just noticed there was something on the floor yesterday, so It happened spontaneously...or very slowly and I only just noticed it..hehe
The color isnt red..maybe tan-ish

I know the shocks are bad, pretty much petrified... Already planned a complete suspension rebuild at DMCNW when I get the funds.
Dont have a pressure bleeder to try that. At the moment, looks like Im adding brake system rebuild to my list...not completely unexpected, given how long she sat til I got her.

Mark D
08-05-2016, 03:43 PM
If you have a pressure bleeder you can pressurize the system and see if you can provoke it.

If you go this route just be sure not to over pressurize the reservoir and blow brake fluid out the seals where the reservoir attaches to the master. Those seals never see any pressure otherwise so they may weep out fluid. When I pressure bled my brakes I only took it up to around 15 PSI

Lwanmtr
08-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Here's a pic of the lil puddlish. I cant tell the smell....and newp, not gonna taste it..hehe

Its possible it's been leaking a long time, I just didnt notice it til now.

DMCMW Dave
08-05-2016, 05:28 PM

You can do the same thing by pressing the brake pedal in the car. And get a lot more pressure.

DMCMW Dave
08-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Here's a pic of the lil puddlish. I cant tell the smell....and newp, not gonna taste it..hehe

Its possible it's been leaking a long time, I just didnt notice it til now.

Might be a leaky shock. I don't see fluid on the tire but the shock looks damp.

Lwanmtr
08-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Its quite possible its the shock. They're pretty much frozen, but I coulda broke that one loose a bit from fiddling about getting in and out. Complete suspension rebuild is on my
list already, so thats not a.....shock..hehe.

Pumped the brakes and didnt get any new drippings, so I think thats all good...but I'll find out more when I get it up for a complete inspection.

Thanks

Mark D
08-05-2016, 11:46 PM
I'd also have to vote for leaky shock based on the photo.

Lwanmtr
08-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Thats what Im going with for now. Thanks.