PDA

View Full Version : How to enter/exit a Delorean

delgato
08-19-2016, 02:06 PM
It has been a while since my car was in one piece.

When I first got it I used to get in and out of the drivers seat a lot.

This got me thinking if there is a "proper" way to enter and exit this kind of car.

At that time the best method for me was to

Open the door and duck under it and grab the steering wheel with my left hand.

Lift my right leg into the foot well area.

Place my back side against the back of the seat.

Then I would do a little hop.

This slides me over then down into the seat.

In that same hop I am also lifting my left leg over and in.

This got me into my car and look kind of cool.

The issue then was how to exit the car and still look cool.

I tried different methods and came to the conclusion that any way you exit a Delorean you look pretty cool.

This leads me to ask the community.

How do you enter and exit your car?

Jonathan
08-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Entry: back your butt in first, sit down, then swing legs in.

Exit: swing legs out, left forearm on door frame, stand-up/don't bang your head.

Of course, you could just dive in head first like you're fleeing the machine gun fire from the Lybians.

Farrar
08-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Rumor has it you're not supposed to grab onto the steering wheel when entering and exiting the vehicle. I can't remember why now, but maybe someone else remembers, and can tell us whether it's true or just an urban legend.

burch
08-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Rumor has it you're not supposed to grab onto the steering wheel when entering and exiting the vehicle. I can't remember why now, but maybe someone else remembers, and can tell us whether it's true or just an urban legend.

That wouldn't surprise me. I would think the downward stress on the wheel would have some impact on the tilt lock.

DMCVegas
08-19-2016, 03:04 PM
It's really not a good idea to grab onto the steering wheel in any car as far as I know.

Me personally, I put my right foot in, right hand on the center console, hover over the seat as I move back and over, and then just slide down the seat back with my butt until I hit the cushion. Then I just pull my left leg in and reach up to close the door.

dodint
08-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Personally, I go to the car show, wait till the owner looks the other way for a sip of water, and divebomb into it before they can say no.

;)

Michael
08-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Good grief... do we really need instruction on how to get in and out of a freaking car?

Drive Stainless
08-19-2016, 05:37 PM
If I don't say anything, most guys will grab onto the upper corner of the windshield and use it to swing into the car like a monkey. It's a great way to break the corner of the windshield in a relatively unreinforced area of the underbody.

Jonathan
08-19-2016, 06:12 PM
It's really not a good idea to grab onto the steering wheel in any car as far as I know.

Me personally, I put my right foot in, right hand on the center console, hover over the seat as I move back and over, and then just slide down the seat back with my butt until I hit the cushion. Then I just pull my left leg in and reach up to close the door.

Do the hokey pokey!!! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwPbel_cXes

DMC-81
08-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Exit: swing legs out, left forearm on door frame, stand-up/don't bang your head.

Of course, you could just dive in head first like you're fleeing the machine gun fire from the Lybians.

:hysterical:

+1 on the method.

MTDMC
08-19-2016, 09:50 PM

I learned the hard way, my steering columm kept sagging down after tighting to wing nut, it wears out the bushing. It's also a bad idea to grab a hold of the side of the windshield because the underbody will bend causing the doors not to shut properly. I was told by DMC Midwest.

Peripatetic
08-20-2016, 12:00 AM
I try to get in and out when no one is looking because I'm not sure if I'm doing it "right". I know I can't use the steering wheel and that the corner is a weak point (thanks to the Midwest a Connection brunches).

What I've been doing is clearly wrong because I tore the rubber but I would turn my back to the car, butt in, right foot in, shake it all about, left foot on the ledge there, readjust to face forward, close door. Doing this has ripped my rubber seal at the bottom of the door so I'm trying to figure out a new way in.

Theoretical Method 01: right shoulder and left knee in first, rest of body to follow
TM02: Cartwheel in.
TM03: Sit down in a chair and have DMCMW build the car around me as needed
TM04: Whirlwind

BABIS
08-20-2016, 05:54 AM
:hysterical:

+1 on the method.

the only one I trust :D

David T
08-20-2016, 11:31 AM
the only one I trust :D

For women with short skirts and high heels it is a whole different experience!

Ryan King
08-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Doing so puts stress on the crumple cage which protects the steering shaft. I have had to take mine out and have it welded back together.

Mine actually broke all the way through.

refugeefromcalif
08-20-2016, 06:23 PM

This is how I've always gotten into my car.
What's funny is I get into my mini van right leg first but, I tend to duck under/for a door that opens out, not up... :headscratch:

George

Parzval
08-20-2016, 08:36 PM

Oh this whole thread is all kinds of funny. :lol:
But I must say, yesterday on exit I did the swing legs out and stand up thing, but found the leg of my shorts had looped around the parking brake and caused me to abruptly sit right back down. I looked like a goof no doubt.

Johnny-T
08-20-2016, 11:38 PM
As a bigger guy, and a new owner, Ive had to do a bit of trial and error when it comes to getting in and out of the D.

I back up and do a sort of half sit while my left hand and most of my weight is on the VIN plate. As I go down I swing my right leg up and in and put my right arm on the center area near the ashtray. Once I'm all the way sitting I bring my left leg in carful not to catch the trim. I've found this to be the best option for me since I cant fit sitting sidways in the seat and it doesn't put any of my extra weight on anything that might break. Getting out I simply reverse the process.

On a side note, this thread may seem somewhat silly but I understand why people might ask. Not all of us are able to just hop in. I was actually worried about this when I went to pick my car up for the first time. Lukily, I had Toby at DMCNW to show me a few tips like using the VIN plate area to push off of. He also gave me a rundown on how grabbing the wheel or dash could damage it. If he hadn't told me that, I probably would have broken something by now.

Farrar
08-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Obviously the solution is to sit on the transporter pad and have Scotty "beam" us into place...

Timebender
08-21-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm big too at 6'7". It's always worked well for me to sit in butt first, swing in my right leg, and then left leg. Getting out is a reverse process, but sometimes I catch the bottom trim and knock it loose.

SS Spoiler
08-21-2016, 06:46 PM
We need some videos to show gals a safe
way to enter and exit......

DMCVegas
08-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Doing so puts stress on the crumple cage which protects the steering shaft. I have had to take mine out and have it welded back together.

Mine actually broke all the way through.

Yeah, um.... I don't know that you really want to be doing that.

The idea of that cage is to collapse with those spots you had welded folding over as the steering shaft collapses. I would double-check with an expert on this, but I'm rather confident that welding that cage will give it too much strength to where it will not work as intended.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/ozbox/DSC01363.jpg

If that happens, the steering column will impale you in an accident and kill you when it punches through your chest. I would highly recommend just replacing that column instead.

DMCVegas
08-21-2016, 11:14 PM
We need some videos to show gals a safe
way to enter and exit......

https://youtu.be/hnHN-DvQh1k?t=22m1s

Peripatetic
08-22-2016, 01:15 AM
As a bigger guy, and a new owner, Ive had to do a bit of trial and error when it comes to getting in and out of the D.

I back up and do a sort of half sit while my left hand and most of my weight is on the VIN plate. As I go down I swing my right leg up and in and put my right arm on the center area near the ashtray. Once I'm all the way sitting I bring my left leg in carful not to catch the trim. I've found this to be the best option for me since I cant fit sitting sidways in the seat and it doesn't put any of my extra weight on anything that might break. Getting out I simply reverse the process.

On a side note, this thread may seem somewhat silly but I understand why people might ask. Not all of us are able to just hop in. I was actually worried about this when I went to pick my car up for the first time. Lukily, I had Toby at DMCNW to show me a few tips like using the VIN plate area to push off of. He also gave me a rundown on how grabbing the wheel or dash could damage it. If he hadn't told me that, I probably would have broken something by now.
I tried a version of this today and my ease of getting in and out requires 20% off the original effort. Mostly just putting my right leg far in, left hand on vin plate, sit, left leg, door down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan King
08-22-2016, 01:34 AM
Yeah, um.... I don't know that you really want to be doing that.

The idea of that cage is to collapse with those spots you had welded folding over as the steering shaft collapses. I would double-check with an expert on this, but I'm rather confident that welding that cage will give it too much strength to where it will not work as intended.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h45/ozbox/DSC01363.jpg

If that happens, the steering column will impale you in an accident and kill you when it punches through your chest. I would highly recommend just replacing that column instead.

No one has died in a DeLorean yet and its only been 35 years or so. I'll just stick with what i got for now. But I do *really* (No Sarcasm) appreciate your concern.

Lou and "Boo"
08-22-2016, 02:42 AM
I tried a version of this today and my ease of getting in and out requires 20% off the original effort. Mostly just putting my right leg far in, left hand on vin plate, sit, left leg, door down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always end up pulling in the upper outer edge of the drivers seat when I get out. I'll have to change that now that have new seat skins.'the old ones were wor down to the foam at that spot (among many others).

mr_maxime
10-06-2016, 07:47 PM

I do the exact same. Ive been dailying my delorean for about a month now and its funny how much better gullwing doors are than standard ones when you use them everyday. Everytime I use regular doors I get annoyed that the door is always in the way of my legs when I try getting out. Never an issue with a delorean.