PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Clock replacement/upgrade/fix?

OZ DMC
08-26-2016, 07:53 AM
The original clock in my car is dead. What is the recommendation of this forum as to a fix or more likely replacement?
Thank you

burch
08-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Your timing might be good :) Josh just put up this thread, selling a clock: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14158-A-c-faceplate-clock-mode-switch-bearing-carrier

Elvis
08-27-2016, 08:47 AM
like always - use the search and see what others already wrote

sdg3205
08-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Marcel offers a nice unit. Pricey but matches the look of the factory unit.

Open up your clock and look at the Nipple on the side of LCD display. What colour is it? Black or white? As long as the LCD is good it could probably be fixed

OZ DMC
08-28-2016, 02:13 AM
Marcel offers a nice unit. Pricey but matches the look of the factory unit.

Open up your clock and look at the Nipple on the side of LCD display. What colour is it? Black or white? As long as the LCD is good it could probably be fixed

Dave, thank you for your response- appreciated

May be I should not admit to this but I have not pulled the clock out to look. It didn't work when I purchased the car a year ago and was told most Delorean clocks are dead by this age.
Thought I might look around for a replacement original if available or lash out on an aftermarket unit.

Cheers
OZ DMC

OZ DMC
08-28-2016, 02:20 AM
like always - use the search and see what others already wrote

Thanks Elvis,

I have found the "Search" function very useful as a new comer but thought I'd ask just in case I missed something.

Cheers

Elvis
08-28-2016, 03:08 AM
to repeat it - just for you as a newbie - most clocks just have a bad solder joint.

repairable in minutes for cents.

mluder
08-28-2016, 12:25 PM
to repeat it - just for you as a newbie - most clocks just have a bad solder joint.

repairable in minutes for cents.

Yep... Took mine to a local radio TV repair shop and the guy fixed it on the spot for a couple dollars... Even cleaned up a few of hte other solders that were loose.

Cheers
Steve

OZ DMC
08-29-2016, 07:23 AM
Yep... Took mine to a local radio TV repair shop and the guy fixed it on the spot for a couple dollars... Even cleaned up a few of hte other solders that were loose.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, worth a try...:thumbup2:

mluder
08-30-2016, 04:17 AM
Thanks Steve, worth a try...:thumbup2:

There was a specific spot that's a known weak point so I was able to tell him where. It was on the old .com board so I can't find it anymore. That said the guy found a few others on his own so maybe a competent tech knows what to look for.

Also, there was a company called Dakota Digital that made a pretty good compromise. Not sure if they're still around.

Cheers
Steve