PDA

View Full Version : New DOA Membership Prices!

DMCVegas
09-16-2016, 01:44 PM
As mentioned in another thread, changes are coming to the DeLorean Owners Association. Some big, some small. This is one of the big ones. Starting today we are lowing the prices of membership fees!

$50 for all National members in the US
$65 for International

That's right! I like money, you like money. So we've decided to reduce the cost of membership for everyone so you can hang on to more of it. If you are a member who has joined recently at the previous, higher price, you already knew about this change because we e-mailed you a notification, and you've gotten your membership extended 6 months accordingly! So you won't have to renew your membership so soon. And for those of you who do have memberships to renew, it just got cheaper!

This is not simply a "special" or "one-time" discount of any sort. These are the new low rates that are available to everyone. Both new members, as well as existing & previous ones who are looking to renew or re-join.

You can quickly and easily sign up or renew right here: http://www.deloreanowners.org/membership-application/

There are lots of other changes on the way too. The store is expanding with some new items already added, as well as new items on the way such as more back issues of DeLorean World magazine, and some other products we have that are either coming down the pipeline. Or are already here and waiting to be added in and will be available for purchase soon.

There are also expanded benefits that are also in the works for members as well, and will also be forthcoming too as we finalize them. As some of you also noticed in another thread, Advocacy for the marque is already a big one we're working on. And we're here to help everyone promote their own local events to help bring more owners and enthusiasts together. As more come to fruition, we'll be presenting them accordingly.

But don't forget about the upcoming 2017 DeLorean Expo in Las Vegas!

http://www.deloreanowners.org/
Join us on Facebook! (https://www.facebook.com/DeLoreanOwnersAssociation)
We've got Twitter! (https://twitter.com/deloreanowners)
Sign up for the membership list Here (http://deloreanowners.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=2695567fbff91f13e5784a5f9&id=4b256d5776) or by sending an e-mail to [email protected]

This again is just one of the changes coming to the DOA, and one I'm happy to see happen so that everyone can finally join up at a reasonable price. The DOA is a club for everyone, and this is the invitation for everyone to join. I look forward to seeing you all.

Welcome to your new DOA!

DaraSue
09-16-2016, 01:49 PM
How soon will you guys have the date set for the Expo? At my job it's hard to get time off without requesting it the year before, and we're going to start the bidding for next year soon. Any ideas yet of approximately when it will be?

DMCVegas
09-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Should be pretty soon. We'll have a better idea after the next board meeting on October 5th.

DaraSue
09-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Should be pretty soon. We'll have a better idea after the next board meeting on October 5th.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out!

David T
09-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a deal but please inform me as to just what you get for the $50? Especially if you are not on the West Coast and don't go to DOA events.

FABombjoy
09-16-2016, 10:35 PM
If membership included access to DeLorean World backissue PDFs I'd join just for that.

DMCVegas
09-16-2016, 11:29 PM
If membership included access to DeLorean World backissue PDFs I'd join just for that.

Believe it or not, that actually has been discussed and may happen in the future. There are a few kinks to work out on the logistics side of the project. Over 3 decades of tech articles are of great use, as would be a compendium... Again, one of the things we've been talking about, but I don't want to give away all of the surprises!

DeLorean World magazine is also going to start turning around as well for it's content. There has been the recent article by Rob Grady and the Steering Racks, and the new article material coming up is going to be new items both in the relevant research of the marque, as well as what owners need. The DOA is for everyone. I mean that, and it's why I joined.

Sounds like a deal but please inform me as to just what you get for the $50? Especially if you are not on the West Coast and don't go to DOA events.

That's a great question. There is of course the welcome kit itself with the welcome letter, membership card, window decal, and an the latest issue of DeLorean World magazine at minimum. And of course that comes with a yearly subscription to DeLorean World as well.

Beyond that we're also working on other discounts as well for other partners and even the DOA Store itself. Which is also starting to have more products come up for sale as we organize the inventory and even create or seek new exclusive items out. Right now we've got some original, brand new copies of JZD's autobiography up there for sale.

As more benefits and merchandise becomes available, we'll be sending out the notification blasts. Which we're also already doing to notify everyone of local club events and activities that you can join. Can't make it to the DOA Expo? Or perhaps you can't get enough car shows and group activities to join? Chances are that there's a local get together near you. If we're notified of it, you will be too.

This isn't simply a "west cost" club, or even one simply restricted to just Southern California. Not at all. This is for everyone. Doesn't matter if you've got a car, or you haven't bought your DeLorean yet. If you do own a car, it doesn't matter if you've got a concourse winner, a daily driver, or even a wild custom. No one should ever feel bad about ownership because they don't own a car, nor if they do if it doesn't even run. We're here for everybody, and I'm not going to dictate how you should enjoy your car.

There is no "Ivory Tower" any more. The board goes out beyond California, and even into Canada now where our President lives. We're here to bridge the gaps between everyone and unify the community again. That was my motivation for joining, and the board has allot of like-minded individuals. If anyone wishes to run for election to the board as well, they're more than welcome to do so too.

What do you get if you join the DeLorean Owners Association? You're going to finally get your club back!

Johnny-T
09-17-2016, 10:58 PM
I tried to sign up but after I compleated the application and clicked submit, PayPal popped up saying "Purchase information could not be verified. Go back to vendor and try a different payment method."

Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

David T
09-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Just how many issues of DW are being printed these days? How many members are there? Just how is the money being spent? These and a lot of other issues would need to be made public before I consider joining. In the past there was WAY too much secrecy and no accountability. Also DW turned into a travelogue, they cut the # of issues, and there was no tech content. I will wait to see the "new" DOA and how it turns out before you get my membership.

DMCVegas
09-18-2016, 02:19 PM
I tried to sign up but after I compleated the application and clicked submit, PayPal popped up saying "Purchase information could not be verified. Go back to vendor and try a different payment method."

Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

Let me find out what's going on. PM me with your name & e-mail address.

DMCVegas
09-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Just how many issues of DW are being printed these days? How many members are there? Just how is the money being spent? These and a lot of other issues would need to be made public before I consider joining. In the past there was WAY too much secrecy and no accountability. Also DW turned into a travelogue, they cut the # of issues, and there was no tech content.

Can't remember the number off the top of my head on the exact numbers. But there are enough printed for current membership numbers as well as archives for future purchases.

Accountability for the finances is a key issue. I totally agree. In the past the financial reports were printed in DeLorean World, and I believe that will probably happen again. In fact, it's something I'm pushing for. Saying that the information is public, but you just have to ask for it is one thing. I'd like it to be out there so that everyone can easily see it. And there is a reason for that which I'll explain.

Yes, DeLorean World turned into a travelogue magazine at one point. I know that interests some people, but not me. That's not my cup of tea in the least. I'm here for the car. I want history & unknown facts, and I NEED tech content! Tech content has been a big thing, and it's on the rebound. The most recent article was P.J. Grady did an entire spread demonstrating how to rebuild the entire Rack & Pinion steering rack yourself. When I get the chance, I'm planning on doing not just a spread to help people to understand K-Jetronic, but to publish an entire article on how to install a wideband O2 sensor with easy instructions on how to perform a CO adjustment yourself. That's just the start of the modern stuff I have planned, and doesn't account for what other people will contribute. There will be tech articles, and historical ones as well. Cool pictures of awesome photo ops? Absolutely! A guide to B&B's? No. With all due respect, that isn't what this magazine was intended to be about.

I will wait to see the "new" DOA and how it turns out before you get my membership.

I understand. I really do. Allot of people feel that way. It took me almost 16 years to finally see the signs of change before I joined. That is where rebuilding that trust comes into play that I mentioned earlier. Sometimes in order to make things happen you've got to be the change you want to see. That's what I'm doing here. This is what everyone is now able to do. If someone doesn't want the DOA to change, then for them it never will. No matter what happens, there will be a reason not to like it. But if you want your club back... If you want it to change into the club you once loved, or even better the kind of club you'd want to be apart of now, this is your opportunity. Join. Give feedback, contribute articles, make it into what you want.

You've been a great mentor, David. You've helped myself and so many others over the years online. How many more could you reach out to with some tech articles? You could reach out and influence so many more. What if the change you're waiting for is you? What if the "new" DOA includes people such as you? What if the change you're waiting for is you?

This isn't simply a membership drive for money. This is as much of an opportunity as it is an invitation for everyone to lend a hand and get involved in their club! And it is a club for everyone! There is no elitism, and no exclusivity. This is not a club to serve the needs of egos; it is here to serve the needs of members and their cars.

Johnny-T
09-19-2016, 12:36 AM
Let me find out what's going on. PM me with your name & e-mail address.

I got it to work today. I used my phone instead of my work computer. That might have been the issue I had. Thanks. Can't wait for my first issue.

David T
09-19-2016, 09:58 AM
A while back the DOA reached out to me and asked me to write an article to contribute. At the time I thought they were trying to become more inclusive so I gave them a chance. They promised me a year's worth of DW, at that time they were producing about 6 a year? I think. So I wrote the article. I got 3 DW's. They told me they cut back and I missed one. Took a year before they sent another. Got the royal run-around because they were changing officers. I figured if and when they get their act together again maybe I would give them another try. I hope your efforts are successful but the Internet is the way to go today. Most clubs (automotive and others) have long ago given up printed and mailed newsletters and magazines. Too expensive. The internet allows a club to produce any # of a publication at essentially no cost and no postage. I don't buy all that much Delorean merch and the DOA never holds events on the East Coast. Being a member of the DMA suits all of my club needs. I have had all of the club politics I care to have in this life and have no use for the DOA. At least they picked a good acronym. Dead On Arrival. I can see why a vendor would do articles, for the built-in publicity and adverts. I have no need to advertise. Most newbies having grown up with the internet go to it first and find the forum. That is the future, not a club magazine. Now, if the DOA got modern! First of all I would change the name. Besides the acronym, it has a lot of history and baggage. Next I would publish on line and drastically reduce the membership fee for those who are far enough away that they will never come to an event. Then partner up with each club and hold events all over the country to regain some of the leadership it once held. Sponsor the national show, that kind of thing. My suggestion for the "new" DOA would be maybe the Delorean Owner's Club, DOC, as in Doc Brown. For now the DOA is just a California club that thinks it is a national club. Here on the East Coast it is a joke. They have lost all credibility and have for years since they cut loose all of their chapters.

SamHill
09-19-2016, 11:52 AM
One of the main reasons justifying its existence was obviated by the rise of Grundy and Hagerty.

David T
09-19-2016, 12:49 PM
One of the main reasons justifying its existence was obviated by the rise of Grundy and Hagerty.

It was also the main advertising organ for Delorean 1. Ed Bernstein created, controlled and promoted it primarily to promote his business and consolidate his leadership in all things Delorean. He was able to get away with it because there was no competition and no Internet. Back in the day it was the only game in town. In all fairness, he held things together for a long time when no one else did or could. When they shut down all of the chapters they lost all relevance and with the rise of the internet much of their reason for being was gone. There were always insurance companies so that wasn't a big reason. The last remaining reason was the Delorean World magazine. It was a connection to things Delorean and many looked forward to getting it in the mail. When it became irrelevant and they cut back the # of issues it was just another reason to stop paying dues. There was also all of the controversy over the internal politics and the lack of transparency. The DOA has a long way to go before many will give them another chance. They will never be the national presence they once were.

SamHill
09-19-2016, 01:21 PM
There were always insurance companies so that wasn't a big reason.

They put a lot of effort into it, with the intended goal of getting more reasonable coverage for the price. And then ultimately admitted that they failed. Thread drift: I'd like to read more about why traditional companies ever thought of insuring cars that barely move as a bad idea.

DMCVegas
09-19-2016, 06:24 PM
A while back the DOA reached out to me and asked me to write an article to contribute. At the time I thought they were trying to become more inclusive so I gave them a chance. They promised me a year's worth of DW, at that time they were producing about 6 a year? I think. So I wrote the article. I got 3 DW's. They told me they cut back and I missed one. Took a year before they sent another. Got the royal run-around because they were changing officers. I figured if and when they get their act together again maybe I would give them another try. I hope your efforts are successful but the Internet is the way to go today. Most clubs (automotive and others) have long ago given up printed and mailed newsletters and magazines. Too expensive.

Thank you for the encouragement, I do appreciate that.

Absolutely this is a more modern age with more electronic communications, and as such tastes do change of course. I *do* believe that physical items are important for many people, because they can help increase the desirability of the vehicle. If two DeLoreans were for sale at the same price, and were equal in every single way, but one had a collection of memorabilia to be included with it in the sale, that will be any buyer's first choice. Depending upon the collection's contents, it may even increase the asking price by a certain amount. So between the two, I do believe that a compromise can be made. But certainly the merch can help sales and future collections to a certain extent.

While I also can't speak to what the past boards were doing, certainly this one appears to be open to change.

Being a member of the DMA suits all of my club needs. I have had all of the club politics I care to have in this life and have no use for the DOA. At least they picked a good acronym. Dead On Arrival. I can see why a vendor would do articles, for the built-in publicity and adverts. I have no need to advertise. Most newbies having grown up with the internet go to it first and find the forum. That is the future, not a club magazine. Now, if the DOA got modern! First of all I would change the name. Besides the acronym, it has a lot of history and baggage. Next I would publish on line and drastically reduce the membership fee for those who are far enough away that they will never come to an event. Then partner up with each club and hold events all over the country to regain some of the leadership it once held. Sponsor the national show, that kind of thing. My suggestion for the "new" DOA would be maybe the Delorean Owner's Club, DOC, as in Doc Brown. For now the DOA is just a California club that thinks it is a national club. Here on the East Coast it is a joke. They have lost all credibility and have for years since they cut loose all of their chapters.

All good points. Especially about the modernization of the club. Personally, I'd keep the name. The brand needs some repair. I'm the first to admit that and knew going in. But I do believe that it should be kept for the sake of the institution. Changing the name I feel shows instability. We've got an orphaned car with repair shops that have come and gone over the years, and even the same for our online communications forums. The community deserves stability, and the DOA is the 2nd oldest organization within the marque.

As time goes on, national events may very well become a real possibility again, or at least sponsorship. Who knows? But no matter where you are, it can still serve you. The biggest thing I'm working on is Advocacy. So that we can get out there and push for those corrections in stories when the information is wrong. Or to stop the tasteless jokes at our cars' expense. Most of all, it's your club.

Truth? The DOA isn't a club for California. There are already two separate clubs that serve both Northern California as well as the Southland. Is the DOA a "national" club? No, it is an International club. It can complement membership in another club, or even be your sole club when you don't have another that is available or want to be apart of. We're here for everybody.

[QUOTE=David T;206272]It was also the main advertising organ for Delorean 1. Ed Bernstein created, controlled and promoted it primarily to promote his business and consolidate his leadership in all things Delorean. He was able to get away with it because there was no competition and no Internet. Back in the day it was the only game in town. In all fairness, he held things together for a long time when no one else did or could. When they shut down all of the chapters they lost all relevance and with the rise of the internet much of their reason for being was gone./QUOTE]

I can't speak to the past as to what Ed's motivations were. But I am absolutely big on transparency going forward. Which for the Record as well, Ed doesn't have a thing to do with the DOA now. If he did, do you really think I of all people would be on the board?

From what I understand, the phasing out of the regional chapters was a necessity. The DOA is a non-profit organization which must file taxes every year. Chapters in various states were responsible for filing their own taxes as well, but sometimes failed to do so for whatever reason. Because of the complications/liabilities involved with the individual chapters, that's why there were shut down.

It's true. The rise of the Internet changed the game. But there are also many advantages to having a magazine. Sure questions can be answered speedily online. But topics get buried under new threads, and trying to data mine for that original information can be very difficult. It can also become impossible when data servers get wiped out and the information is lost forever. But a magazine cannot be so easily and quickly erased. Nor does it require an Internet connection to flip through a few pages to get to that tech article you need.

An offline backup is a great idea, and that's what a magazine also provides.

David T
09-19-2016, 10:46 PM
If your main reason for the magazine is to archive tech articles, that can be much better achieved either in the FAQ's or on-line tutorials and youtube videos. The older generation (you and me) still like to feel paper between your fingers as we read. Give it up! The internet is in color and sound and full motion, you can't do that in a magazine. I know you would like to bury the past but some of us still remember it. BTW the reason given at the time they shut the chapters down was insurance, not taxes. And when they did it they wanted each chapter to send in all the money each had. That did not go over well as you might imagine. Those chapters morphed into local clubs with that money. Some published newsletters for a while to try to fill the needs of the magazine and promote the chapter. Most didn't last. My model for a club today is to have a two tier membership. The first tier would be low to no cost. You would get the on-line content. The other tier is for those who buy merch, attend events, contribute time to the club. That tier would either pay a small membership or you would just live off the money you make on events. With the major costs of publishing a magazine and postage gone you no longer need as much money to run a club. Just a few people could do everything. From doing an on-line mag to organizing an event. As you need more help you can add and subtract volunteers. It can grow to international proportions. The DOA is positioned to do it if they can do it right. I still think you have to change the name.

Dangermouse
09-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Robert, who are the other board members of this revised DOA?

DMCVegas
09-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Robert, who are the other board members of this revised DOA?

The full list is available here: http://www.deloreanowners.org/contacts/

tommyrich
09-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Truth? The DOA isn't a club for California.

I met Skip on the way out to DCS 2016. He seemed to be a very nice person and very enthusiastic about reviving the DOA. However, the list of board members (and where they are located), in my mind, strongly supports the argument that it is a California club.
Tom

DMCVegas
09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
I met Skip on the way out to DCS 2016. He seemed to be a very nice person and very enthusiastic about reviving the DOA. However, the list of board members (and where they are located), in my mind, strongly supports the argument that it is a California club.
Tom

Like I said, it's not. California already has 2 individual DeLorean car clubs, one in the north and another in the south, that serve local needs. So the argument isn't valid anymore. Make no mistake, it certainly was at one time, but not now.

This is to be an International Club for sure. Now don't get me wrong, local clubs are great. But there is a certain amount of geographic restriction involved with them when it comes to club activities. And I'm not just talking about local events, but also mechanical aspects as well. Which in truth is the same for any marque. A DeLorean in California isn't going to have the same kinds of concerns that a car from Oregon, Michigan, Florida, or even Arizona would have. That is both a concern when you're buying out of state, as it is when you're operating in state. Different states will have both common problems as well as unique ones. A Florida car might have more concerns about mildew & even flood damage, whereas a the Michigan car is more about rust. But Michigan rust is different than Oregon rust. An Arizona car is built more for heat tolerance with more of a focus on cooling. California cars usually have a much tighter focus on emissions testing. So as a result these cars may just happen to behave differently once you start driving them.

That's also global too. A car in Japan is going to have different challenges compared to a car out in the UAE. But that's the point; recognizing these differences and bringing them to light. Now we may not all be able to reenact the DeLorean World Tour, and drive around the entire globe. But going between different countries, and even just individual states is might just present a challenge. Fuel pumps might buzz in Arizona, your A/C might not work as well down in Florida, tires might not grip as well up in Oregon, the list can go on and on. Things that you might not be quite prepared for. Which is one of the things planned focuses in future tech articles is about focusing on both regional issues, as well as how to build a modernized and road ready DMC-12 that is ready to drive anywhere you need it to.

The flip side of this as well is that member input is needed as well. As you said, you feel that it's a California-based club. So let me just come right out and ask you: What would change your mind? Is it just the locations alone?

tommyrich
09-28-2016, 07:21 PM
What would change your mind?

I'm not for or against it, I guess I don't understand the mission.
Is it to provide technical help?
Promote the marquee? I'm all for this, but specifically, how would the DOA do it?.
Hold a national/international events? Promote DCS?

Is it just the locations alone?
I am fortunate to have both a local (Long Island) club and a regional (DMA) club. My understanding is that the DMA was formerly DOA chapter.
Is the DOA considering creating new regional clubs/chapters for those not as fortunate?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I wish success to all things Delorean!
Tom

Patrick C
09-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Should I have received an issue of DeLorean World yet? I saw others posting about the factory reunion issue months ago, yet I have received nothing.

DMCVegas
09-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Should I have received an issue of DeLorean World yet? I saw others posting about the factory reunion issue months ago, yet I have received nothing.

You can either send an e-mail over to [email protected], or PM me and I'll get everything over to Gordon to get it sorted out.

DMCVegas
09-29-2016, 12:40 AM
I am fortunate to have both a local (Long Island) club and a regional (DMA) club. My understanding is that the DMA was formerly DOA chapter.
Is the DOA considering creating new regional clubs/chapters for those not as fortunate?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I wish success to all things Delorean!
Tom

As for regional clubs/chapters, no. There are no plans right now for bringing back the chapters. I'm not a psychic either, but I have a pretty good feeling that that won't happen ever again. Thank you as well for the support though. Preserving the marque and having the support of people is precisely what is needed. Not just for the organization, but for serving the needs of members and the community & marque.

I'm not for or against it, I guess I don't understand the mission.
Is it to provide technical help?
Promote the marquee? I'm all for this, but specifically, how would the DOA do it?.
Hold a national/international events? Promote DCS?

That is a great question. Overall the answer would be a resounding yes, but with some answers for your questions.

Technical help is key. Absolutely. Organizing the help is IMO a great future project that has been discussed, but more immediately there is a need to create a set of standards for the cars beyond just Concourse guidelines and factory recalls. Creating a set of standards for a daily driver, as well as a more diverse classification system for the cars is a pet project I'm personally working on for starters. We have buying guides, and those are great. But moving beyond that into the realm of maintenance is another aspect I'd like to explore. As well as how to raise the values of our cars organically with these kinds of standards. A how-to guide on assembling a Portfolio with sub-details on not just maintenance records but how to contact DMV/PS departments in your state or provence to build up a history is something else that is of value.

Another item I'm big on is Advocacy. Like we recently saw with the story about the owner who was carjacked in Santa Monica, Ca. The article about the incident mistakenly said that the top speed of our cars was only 85 based upon the regulation speedometer. To which I kindly wrote the article's author and she was more than willing to immediately change the article to remove the incorrect information. Things like that are a big part of the advocacy I'm going for. If someone includes misinformation, or even purposefully takes a cheap shot with a cocaine joke, I want to be there to advocate against that to have the incorrect and spiteful information removed. And I want to keep on doing that until reporters get so bombarded with complaints and tired of hearing from us all as a community that they dare not do it any more. It's not a "chilling effect" on all negative press, just anything that is not factual. That way we can ensure a better, more positive public image of our beloved cars.

Hey, even with the "Stupid DeLorean Comment" thread we see this kind of ignorance within our individual interactions with people. I even want to help create a guide on how to avoid those confrontations and how to correct people there too. So one day hopefully we can make this all a thing of the past.

Promotion of the marque also goes far beyond Back to the Future, but also of our community. We're probably one of the oldest on the Internet, and I'd say along with our only equal in terms of age & helpfulness, the Miata Community, we all together helped lay the groundwork for the modern-day online car community. That's a new chapter in our marque's history, and things like this need to be preserved as modern history. And we also need to explore un-researched prior histories as well that have yet to be explored.

All of this is to myself a great reason as to why the DOA is a valuable resource for the community. We're one of the oldest DeLorean organizations within the community, and there is allot of history and archives to both preserve as well as build upon for the good of all of us.

Will the DOA help promote other car shows? As it says in my signature, yes. And there will still be the DOA Expos coming up that will help to bring members of other clubs out beyond their normal geographical areas for people to meet even more like-minded owners and enthusiasts. Both to reconnect old friendships, and to build new ones. Just like with the other clubs, you can have multiple memberships with different regional clubs to complement one another. Because that's the thing: if we're going to remain enthusiastic about our cars, and have the success for all things DeLorean, we've got to do it through positive actions. Being a member helps you to do that, and helps bring even more change to the community through both fueling and guiding the club's activities. That's why I say it's your club too. You can help get involved and improve the community too.

louielouie2000
09-29-2016, 09:31 AM
I've been around the DeLorean community for nearly 2 decades now. So the elitism of DeLorean One and the rather one-dimensional focus of it's PR arm, the DOA, is still fresh in my mind. However, it's pretty clear to me that the old guard has long-since stepped aside. So what do we really have to lose by giving the DOA a shot one more time? $50 is a ridiculously small amount of money these days- I spent more than that going to see a movie recently (to be fair, the Alamo Drafthouse serves dinner & drinks, too). But seriously, variety in the community only strengthens it. Having an international club that has been in existence for decades legitimizes the marque, too. Other institutions like DCS are reinventing and repositioning themselves; I don't see why the DOA can't do the same.

David T
10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
DCS has taken away the need for the DOA to run a national event. Most "national" groups run the national event and the local chapters participate. If the DOA and DCS could combine that would further the usefulness of a "national" club. In some other marques you must be a member of the national club if you want to join a local chapter. As for the purpose of a national club to define and help with the uniqueness's of cars in different countries, that can be accomplished by a local chapter. Same for cars in different parts of the US. The vendors also are aware of those differences and can accommodate them. About the only things the DOA has going is the archives of old Delorean Worlds, the history (which is probably a hindrance) the name, (again IMHO a hindrance), and the membership list. If the DOA is going to have a reason to continue and try to be a "national" club, IMHO it has to take on the national event. It has to find some way to combine with DCS. It cannot have ANY ties with any particular vendor so it has no taint of a conflict of interest as it had in the past. It should go out of it's way to try to have a board made up of people from all over the world, not predominately California. Anything less and it has nothing to offer that a local or regional club can provide and do it better. The DOA doesn't have to have chapters but it can recognize the existing ones, direct inquires to them as appropriate, and include articles from them. It should be the clearinghouse of all things Delorean including press releases, requests for appearances, Rules for the concours, etc.
These are my suggestions to make the DOA relevant to others outside of California.

DMCVegas
10-03-2016, 02:53 PM
I don't know how much more clearer I can make the past points that keep getting brought up. However, I will reiterate them again.

First off, let's talk about the Elephant in the room which everyone keeps alluding to: DeLorean One & Ed Bernstein. Which remains spoken of under the guise of "vendor affiliation".

D-1 is gone. It no longer exists. Ed himself also no longer has anything to do with the DOA, because if he did I wouldn't be on the board. It's pretty well know public knowledge that Ed, Millie, and I don't get along too well. I have been one of the harshest critics of both Ed and the DOA going on almost 2 decades now. So if Ed was still this supposed puppet master behind the scenes, how am I here? Furthermore, ensuring the broad participation of a diverse group of board members and active members helps to ensure that never happens again.

And let's talk about the board membership. You said it yourself, David:

It should go out of it's way to try to have a board made up of people from all over the world, not predominately California.

I'm here both recruiting regular memberships as well as inviting board participation for those who wish to join, and encouraging feedback from all. Short of forcefully conscripting people into board positions, how much further can we go out of our way to encourage a diverse board? Have I, nor anyone else said anything about there being restrictions about geographic location or cross-club affiliation as a means to turn people away? You're in Jersey, you yourself could run for election to be a board member and represent your area.

As for local chapters, there is no indication that that will ever happen again. Even if the DOA wanted to do that again, we'd suddenly be competing with the existing clubs, and we'd be criticized for bullying. And you know what? That would be a very valid criticism that even *I* would have to agree with. Do local clubs have great insight into local areas? Absolutely. So when DOA Expos come to certain areas, they will of course be contacted to work with. But also as people travel with their cars, a national club can offer insight into prepping cars for just such travels because we have such a diverse member base.

A DOA membership can complement an existing membership with a club no problem. Likewise for those who many not have a local club in their area, or even if they do choose not to join it, we're here for you. The DOA is here to help fill in those voids whenever they arise.

The DOA doesn't have to have chapters but it can recognize the existing ones, direct inquires to them as appropriate, and include articles from them. It should be the clearinghouse of all things Delorean including press releases, requests for appearances, Rules for the concours, etc.

Totally agreed on all counts. Why do you think that we ask for notification for local club events & activities that we can send out via our mailing list as well as on our Facebook page? Is there anything anywhere right now that makes it appear that our mission is to the contrary? I'm not trying to be confrontational nor argumentative in the least, please believe me. But if there is some verbiage somewhere that you or anyone is seeing this at, it needs to be taken down.

Sure, I know that the words "DeLorean Owners Association" have a negative connotation for a good number of people, and rightfully so given the experiences of the past. Hell, even I myself experienced them too, so I'm not oblivious to any of it. But I do feel that there are two big reasons to keep the name alive and going. The first is for community stability for the age of the club. It's something we desperately need. Not merely because we're an orphaned car club, but organizations come and go, and the DOA should be the rock that weathers the storms. Both outside and inside. The second is to show that yes, this is OUR club. A club for the community. We took it back for ourselves to fulfill the organization's original mission from back when it was first founded. To serve us all for the betterment of us all and the preservation of our marque.

David T
10-03-2016, 05:27 PM
I didn't say the DOA has any current "affiliations" with any particular vendor, I just said the DOA must go out of it's way to prevent even the perception of that because of what happened in the past. From all accounts Ed B and Millie are no longer active with the DOA although they may be in contact with individual members. In your most recent post you left out what I believe to be the single most important thing the DOA can do, is run the national event. If the DOA has ANY aspirations in being the single organization, club, whatever, speaking for all things Delorean (and not coming from a vendor but from the owners) it must take a major role in running the national event. Now that Ken K is no longer doing it, this is a big opportunity for the DOA to step up and take it over if it can. With it's history and membership it is well positioned for that. What is necessary is a commitment from it's board and it's members to assume that leadership role. That will make the DOA relevant again. Not so much the glossy paper magazine. Something on the model of the Lotus Limited national club. In the world of Lotus, Lotus Limited is the national group and it runs the national event they call LOG (Lotus Owner's Group). I would not go as far as they do and make it a requirement that to join a local club you must also pay dues to the national group. The DOA can make all of the money necessary to run itself from the national event so there would be no need for dues if it gives up the paper magazine and postage. Make it an on-line mag and charge minimal dues and advertising fees to get it. Having been an officer in my local club for a few years I feel I have done my dues and have no desire to run another club, thanks for the offer to be a board member. I am of the opinion there is a time to step aside and let others have a turn. Term limits. Forces new blood into an organization. Would be a good thing for our government too. Other things it can do to become the central clearinghouse might include taking over the DoD. Making an on-line marketplace for all Deloreans and parts to be bought and sold. Discounts for members for certain items or services form vendors. Some of this is simple to do. Some of it will take a dedicated volunteer with the right skill set. None of it has to take a lot of money.

DMCVegas
10-03-2016, 06:23 PM
It absolutely takes allot of effort, yes. And like I mentioned in the very first post, the next DeLorean Expo is slated for next year in Las Vegas, and plans for the 2019 show are to follow.

Who Ed chooses to speak to is his business, but none of it has a thing to do with DOA operations. While I can't speak to the personal lives of the other board members, I can for certain tell you we are all quite aware of the friction he has caused with people in the past, as well as how his actions tarnished the club's reputation.

Which along those lines is the big question we must ask ourselves as individuals in terms of having the DOA succeed: Do you want the DOA to succeed?

There is still allot of bad blood between the DOA and individuals. I'm fully aware of that. But this is the opportunity to now take the club back. The things we didn't like before, we have the chance to correct them now. Especially since the range of owners have since become so much more diverse, and so have their needs. The times, especially technology wise, are changing to be sure, and that change is happening right now. But the big question though that has to be asked is if an individual wants the club to succeed? I mean, trust me, if you want to make something look bad, you'll find a way to cast it into a negative light. If you don't like something, there's always something to nit pick about it. Will the Expo be to close to the west coast and get scolded to catering to California? Will it go to far into the Midwest and get blasted for trying to take over DCS' turf? Will it go too far east and get scorned for being too close to the DMA? And I'm not just posing this question to you, David, but to anyone out there who wants to find a reason to hate the DOA.

If you don't want to like the club, you'll find a reason not to every time, and that's my point.

Are there some things that other clubs do the DOA could be doing? Probably, and with the right feedback and help those things can happen. The club is evolving to serve member's needs.

I cannot stress enough that this is the chance and opportunity to really make a difference to build the club up. Hell, I'm engaging you and answering questions rather than just a few posts before I run off. This right here is a big thing that has to happen: online communication. Someone has questions, I'll do my best to answer. If I don't have the answer, I'll be honest about it. But I can't force anyone to come to terms with the answer. Especially if the point of the question wasn't a genuine inquiry, and more just a way to try and come up with a "gotcha!" moment to try and make me and/or the DOA look back. I know what I can say, but by the same token other people will only hear what they want to hear.

David T
10-03-2016, 09:15 PM
My responses are a genuine effort to openly confront the problems the DOA has IMHO and to give you some advice on what and how to overcome them. It isn't up to me to do it, I admit I have the luxury of sitting back and watching the fun. The DOA will succeed as a local/regional club, it has enough momentum for that. What I was talking about was if the members and the board want it to be more it must do more. The magazine alone IMHO isn't enough. Easy to not get the full perspective when you are right there in among it. Out here on the East Coast the DOA has little relevance right now. It is up to the DOA to show it can be (is) more than just a glossy magazine. I appreciate your candor and your openness and willingness to hear outside advice. It is up to the DOA to show the world it has changed by it's actions.