PDA

View Full Version : General Delorean 3D Printed Parts?

AirmanPika
10-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Just for curiosity sake...has anyone developed any public 3D printed parts for the DeLorean? Right now I would expect simple things (like the tree mounts for the door panels). I don't expect complex stuff but the simple stuff that could be of use definitely interests me. I don't own a 3D Printer yet but I would love to be able to produce simple stuff that might warrant the use.

Dangermouse
10-13-2016, 08:25 AM
you've read this, I assume

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9137-3D-Printing-and-Your-Delorean&highlight=printed

Mattglas
10-13-2016, 09:04 AM
I've 3D Printed the clip that goes on the back of the AC vents, it works perfectly. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/465e13f566cb605f24a20cc039f06eaa.jpg

Henrik
10-13-2016, 11:11 AM
A buddy of mine owns a 3D printer. He is using it for a specific purpose but he might be willing to crank out some D parts between runs if there is a need - not sure, haven't talked to him about this.

So - is there a D part that would be a prime candidate for 3D printing that I can suggest to him and for him to look into?

(If the DMCx network express a concern and/or there is a potential violation of manufacturing rights, then I won't pursue this.)

David T
10-13-2016, 11:24 AM
A buddy of mine owns a 3D printer. He is using it for a specific purpose but he might be willing to crank out some D parts between runs if there is a need - not sure, haven't talked to him about this.

So - is there a D part that would be a prime candidate for 3D printing that I can suggest to him and for him to look into?

(If the DMCx network express a concern and/or there is a potential violation of manufacturing rights, then I won't pursue this.)

My son has a Makerbot 3D printer and we have been looking for parts to make for the car. Because it uses PLA there are not many parts that CAN be made for the car because PLA can't take any heat. He has experimented making trinkets like a small Delorean wheel with a clock in it as a novelty item. Makerbot is coming out with new extruder heads so you can use other types of materials. Eventually they may have materials that will be more compatible with automotive applications. We made up some fuel line separators for a Lotus but they quickly melted from the heat. The actual making of the parts is very inexpensive, the expensive part is the programming because of the time it takes and the trial-and-error till you get it the way you want.

cybercusp
10-15-2016, 02:56 PM
I've 3D Printed the clip that goes on the back of the AC vents, it works perfectly. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/465e13f566cb605f24a20cc039f06eaa.jpg

These are great. I need two of these. PM sent.

Timebender
10-28-2016, 07:50 AM
, the expensive part is the programming because of the time it takes and the trial-and-error till you get it the way you want.

Well, yes and no, as it's not programming, but 3D modeling in an app like Sketchup or Fusion 360 - both have a pretty decent learning curve, and once you master how to model for printing, you can make a lot of different parts- then get a printer that does PLA or ABS (which the latter holds up to heat) or resin. You can also scan parts with your phone using 123D Catch, and then make any fixes to the scanned model. And if you don't have a printer, you can send it to imaterialize which is cheap, as they print based on volume.