PDA

View Full Version : General Delorean almost dies

jagee
08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
The past few times I've drove the car it's had some trouble. It seems like every time it gets below half a tank it almost dies when taking off from a stop. It sounds like you turn the key off for just a split second and then turn it back on before it dies. I can fill it up with gas and it runs fine.

I've seen a bulletin saying that the baffle in the tank may be screwed up and causing the pump to suck air. How do I make sure the baffle is correct or if its even there? If its not there, where do I find one?

Thanks

WelmoedJ
08-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Did you ever clean the tank and install new rubber in and around there?
Take off the inspection cover under the spare wheel and look at the dust cover of the fuel pump.
If it looks old and busted (broken), you probably never have been inside.

So what you may find is:
- the fuel pump dust cover decayed
- rusted contacts on the pump
- possibly oxidized contacts in the plugs of the pump's power line
- fuel pump boot in decay
- clogged fuel pickup screen
- collapsing pickup hose
- dirty tank

Since you're opening up:
- take out the fuel pumphose assembly and inspect it's supply quantity (manual: approx 32 US gallons/hour)
- inspect the power lines and ground (also of the inertia switch)
- inspect the hose (soft? This may cause collapsing)
- inspect the pickup screen (must be clean)
- inspect the inside of the tank

Each inspection that doesn't proof okay, clean or replace.

A collapsing pickup hose can be corrected by putting in a spring (other threads about that).

Should you decide to improve the system, there are two ways to do so:
- first of all don't use rusty backets or bad boots and covers, buy new, bracket and clamps also available in SS!

- with original material (maintaining an "original" state)
- with Herveys new system (baffle and pickup directly under the pump, no more collapsing hoses); Many owners have this setup and are very content with it.

Your job, your money, your choice.
Success,

Welmoed.

Bitsyncmaster
08-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Sure sounds like your pickup hose is split open. The pump will work without a pickup hose since it sits a little above the bottom of the tank. So with a full tank you would have no problems.

sean
08-31-2011, 03:49 PM
I think it would be wise to get into the tank and investigate.

Canon20DFan
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
<in Yoda voice>To Sean you listen - open the tank you should.

Oh and get rid of the old pump and baffle system, it's 500 parts are prone to fail. Get the Hervey SuperPump that has no hoses.

DMCMW Dave
08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh and get rid of the old pump and baffle system, it's 500 parts are prone to fail. Get the Hervey SuperPump that has no hoses.

If you do that, I'll buy the old baffle setup.

content22207
08-31-2011, 08:46 PM
John's baffle has no bottom.

Bill Robertson

jagee
08-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try to take a look at it this weekend.

jagee
08-31-2011, 10:21 PM
<in Yoda voice>To Sean you listen - open the tank you should.

Where do I find that pump at? I haven't owned this car very long and still don't know all the different places to find things. I've ordered a few things from delorean.com but that's it.

sean
08-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Where do I find that pump at? I haven't owned this car very long and still don't know all the different places to find things. I've ordered a few things from delorean.com but that's it.

DMCH pump (http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6558-fuel-pump-aftermarket.aspx)

Specialtauto fuel stuff. (http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html)