PDA

View Full Version : Got "strong armed" for my DeLorean rental

Michael
11-18-2016, 08:22 AM
So I get a call the other day from some car lot owner wanting to use my car for a commercial in 2 days. I normally wouldn't mind but I am going to be very busy at work for the next 2 or 3 days (had to attend a funeral last Friday which puts me behind for the next Friday). You may not know this but I am self employed and I work for a variety of car dealerships, so missing one Friday puts me a week behind since I will not be back for another week. So I told him I just didn't have enough notice and the weather was supposed to be bad Saturday so I couldn't pick it up until who knows when. He actually got a little snotty over the phone and said goodbye and life goes on.
About an hour later I get a call from one of my accounts. It's the manager of a car dealer I work explaining this is his personal friend and yeah he comes off like a jerk but he is a really nice guy. I explained my situation and for the first time payment is on table, (the caller never mentioned that to me). So he said he will pay me 100.00 for my time and again I explained that it wasn't the money but I have to take care of my dealerships and Friday's is a pretty big account for me. He really twisted my arm and I said I would try.
After I hung up the phone I got to thinking "Was this account trying to muscle me?" Did that lot owner think by calling my account that he was somehow going over my head?" I was tempted to call back and tell both of them to take their car lots and shove it..I can easily fill their void. Instead I called back and said I couldn't do it. When he asked why I said it's not really any of your concern.

I don't owe them a freaking explanation for not wanting to volunteer my car to a stranger(even if it is a good reason as in I have to work). I don't know if either of them thinks that I am accountable to them for my free time or my personal property but they are dead wrong...not to mention this paticular account is a very very small percentage of my income. If I go into that account next week and so much as get one ounce of feedback I will be replacing them (with a single phone call)

AugustneverEnds
11-18-2016, 08:54 AM
What an SOB. The nerve really.

Like you Michael, I am self-employed too (nothing to do with cars, I own a hair salon) I drive the D to work as often as the weather allows. In 2014 a guy stops by to see the car, he comes back a few times to have his hair cut. All well and nice. On one occasion in the summer he mentions he has a friend who does promotional events and would be interested in having my car at his BTTF theme party at a bar. I told him I will talk to his promoter friend but no guarantees, I wasn't wild about the idea of my car at a bar I knew nothing about surrounded by possibly intoxicated people I did not know. I speak to Mr. Big Shot Promoter on the phone, loud with a penchant for calling my "dawg" and dropping F bombs. I respectfully decline his offer of $100 to make an appearance. Simple and over, right?

On the Saturday the event was taking place I closed my shop and ended up at the gas station I always patronize with the D. Out of all the people who had to be there it's, you guessed it, Mr. Big Shot Promoter! He walks up and immediately asks if I can make it to his party that evening. I replied in the negative. Hey he is a promoter, this is his job, no harm. He ups his offer, I decline. Then he proceeds to ask if I am a rich snob or afraid to get out and "live life". I told him discussion over and I left not with steam coming out of my ears but wondering if I speak English as clearly as I think I do.

On the following Wednesday my customer and the go between myself and Mr. BS Promoter arrives at my shop and asks why I did not accept BS's offer. I told him flat out I had no interest in such an event and was put off by his behavior. My (ex) customer proceeds to inform me I am a rich snob and I cost him a few dollars since he promised the car would be there. Apparently I was required to go against my better judgment and spend my time taking my property to a place I did not want it to be so these two could benefit. Oh and I am a snob evidently.

Michael
11-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Your customer had no business whatsoever promising your property and or time to anyone. Just like my "boss" had no business promising the car lot owner anything. In fact I don't know how the heck he even knew I had a Delorean as I don't recall mentioning it to anyone there. Apparently he is the one who clued the lot owner in that I had one though since he was the first person he called after I declined. I'm glad I declined though because it's turned out to be a gorgeous day today and it's turning south tomorrow so the wife and I are taking it to dinner tonight.

Morpheus
11-18-2016, 01:35 PM
I don't know what I am more disappointed by... the gall of these people or the lowball amount they offer to "rent" the car. $100 isn't worth my time and effort to clean the car beforehand, let alone babysit it for a couple of hours.

Michael
11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
If it were under normal circumstances(no work just drive over for a few hours) and if he weren't so snotty, I would have done it for free.

Nicholas R
11-18-2016, 01:50 PM
I don't know what I am more disappointed by... the gall of these people or the lowball amount they offer to "rent" the car. $100 isn't worth my time and effort to clean the car beforehand, let alone babysit it for a couple of hours.

Agreed, both are pretty insulting. My price is $100 per hour, minimum of 2 hours. For any less than that, it's not even worth cleaning the car. For the life of me, I just do not know what it is about this car that causes people to feel entitled to it. Whether its wanting to rent it, drive it, sit in it, or just touch it, people just assume its open season.

GR8SCOTT
11-19-2016, 08:03 AM
It really is amazing how people think it's ok to touch my car. Whether it's a car show or in a parking lot. Some people just can't believe it's SS & HAVE TO touch it & don't even think twice about it. Pretty annoying. I would never feel compelled to touch someone's car.

Michael
11-19-2016, 08:20 AM
It doesn't really bother me to come back to a parking lot and see fingerprints on it. No harm done and they wipe off. Curiosity gets the best of some people and not everyone has car etiquette.
What the instragram story on the other thread shows however is a lack or respect by the person sitting in the car. She didn't do any damage but she could have easily had a pen in her pocket but then again she could have very well thought she wasn't doing anything wrong. Maybe she even asked someone if it was OK which also puts half the blame on the promoter and the security. Either they were inept or careless but at the end of the day if there was no harm done I would just report the incident to the parties involved and remember their response for decisions for future events.

In my case I was glad I refused because it's raining right now which would mean that I would have to take at least half Monday off just to retrieve my car. Not to mention I didn't know any of those people and had no idea how the camera crew would treat it since I would not be able to be there all day Friday to keep an eye on it.