PDA

View Full Version : Another Entitled Instagram Photo

sdg3205
11-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Though I haven't shared the news here, I was fortunate to have my DeLorean on display at FanExpo in Vancouver this past weekend. For the most part everything went smoothly, with the exception of getting violently ill the day the car was due on site and barely being able to get it there. The organizers were fair and seemed honest, and went out of their way to negotiate a fair price, tickets to the show and even a meet and great with Christopher lloyd.

So first - the good!

CL even signed the underside of my glovebox! The organizers and myself also had in writing that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE but the doc himself was permitted in the car and that the car be behind ropes at all times. The security was so good that the car was roped off and behind a curtain. Things seemed to be going well, until the show was over and my wife sent me this:

You can see my comment at the bottom. I took this screenshot and sure enough she took the picture down soon after i made the comment. I then tried to PM her to find out just how she ended up in my car. She has yet to respond. She's so damn entitled she can't even offer an apology. I asked her 3 times now how she got access to the car, because to be honest, if she was part of the organization that put on the show, I'd probably not allow the car to go back given she and who knows how many other people were waiting for security to let their guard down so they could get a goddam selfie. If she acted alone, then shame on her. It's no different than me walking into another exhibitors booth, opening 35k-45k of merchandise and getting my picture with it.

Here's the rest of my very one-sided conversation:

So if over the weekend you find yourself with a few moments of boredom and feel like politely reminding this entitled woman we disapprove of this sort of thing, by all means... because I don't think she gets it.

UPDATE - she has blocked me.

Michael
11-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Did she work for the organizers? Did you contact the people who orchestrated the event? I would start there with these poctures. I bet she works either with the promoters or at the venue grounds. Contact the people with both with her pictures.

sdg3205
11-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Did she work for the organizers? Did you contact the people who orchestrated the event? I would start there with these poctures. I bet she works either with the promoters or at the venue grounds. Contact the people with both with her pictures.

I did. I sent my contact for the event an email with that first picture. I waited a week. I gave her a full 5 days to say SOMETHING, so when she failed to do so I sent an email and made this thread. They're in Toronto so they're 3 hrs ahead and have all left for the weekend so I probably wont hear back until next week.

DL4567
11-18-2016, 07:13 PM
But you were MEAN to her, you meanie!!! I would block you too instead of answering your question.

</sarcasm, major sarcasm>

Ahhhhh the internet: Where people just ignore their problems away, and poof! Solved!

Michael
11-18-2016, 07:16 PM
No matter what tell the promoters they failed to secure your property and the closest they will get to your car in the future are these pictures.

sdg3205
11-18-2016, 07:19 PM
But you were MEAN to her, you meanie!!! I would block you too instead of answering your question.

</sarcasm, major sarcasm>

Ahhhhh the internet: Where people just ignore their problems away, and poof! Solved!

Really? i thought it was pretty blunt and straight ahead. Mind you, my post on the picture in day 1 was even more inert. Today when i sent the last two PM's i was getting more angry.

DL4567
11-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Really? i thought it was pretty blunt and straight ahead. Mind you, my post on the picture in day 1 was even more inert. Today when i sent the last two PM's i was getting more angry.

Nah, that's why I had the "sarcasm" tag. I guess another way to interpret what I meant is that she probably thought you were "mean" to her, in that you said anything at all other than a friendly comment, and people like her on the internet run screaming from anything unkind, because it's so much easier than actually answering.

"Ew! This guy is defending his property and won't leave me alone!!! Block block block!!!"

https://media.giphy.com/media/gMDKyrWInxOhO/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

sdg3205
11-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Lol! Oh Fallon.

NJP548
11-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Just looked her up on Instagram, but she made her profile private now.

-Nick

Michael
11-18-2016, 08:59 PM
She is scared of losing her job. I'm telling you she either works for the promotion company or for the venue itself.

mr_maxime
11-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't take my car back to the event. They obviously did not hold up their end of the deal.

mluder
11-19-2016, 10:39 PM
In her post she tanks the the ladies at @jivepr (Jive PR) for letting her in the car so there's your answer. She's probably just a friend of some one at the PR company and they gave her access. Is there any recourse through the contract if they didn't hold up their end? Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) you can't show damages so I doubt you'd get anything other than an apology. Maybe someone gets fired. Not sure it's worth it. Most likely none of those involved had any idea what the contract said. I'm never suprised when guests at events I bring my car to assume it available to them.

Cheers
Steven

sdg3205
11-19-2016, 11:22 PM
In her post she tanks the the ladies at @jivepr (Jive PR) for letting her in the car so there's your answer. She's probably just a friend of some one at the PR company and they gave her access. Is there any recourse through the contract if they didn't hold up their end? Unfortunately (or rather fortunately) you can't show damages so I doubt you'd get anything other than an apology. Maybe someone gets fired. Not sure it's worth it. Most likely none of those involved had any idea what the contract said. I'm never suprised when guests at events I bring my car to assume it available to them.

Cheers
Steven

Yeah I emailed them the photo too. More than anything else, i just want to know what the hell happened. An apology certainly would be nice. The keys stayed with security and when i returned to get the car on sunday evening the door were indeed locked, so what happened and when?

DMCVegas
11-20-2016, 11:38 AM
This is an interesting situation. It isn't like the other woman who just came up and plopped down on someone's hood & fender knowing that isn't acceptable behavior.

Truth be told, we don't know the full story about what happened. This woman may actually have been very respectful and asked permission to sit in the car for a photo opportunity without knowing the agreements involved to NOT let anyone in the car. Again, we don't know, but it may not be her fault.

Why is she not responding? Hard to say. Perhaps she was aware that she wasn't supposed to do this, and is scared because she got caught. Maybe someone was trying to impress her to let her have access to the car, and she's totally embarrassed at the situation and chose to run and hide to avoid further ridicule. Maybe she is simply afraid that her friend might get in trouble and is trying to protect them. Who the hell knows.

What we do know however is that you had an agreement with the promotor and security to not let this happen. So what we need from you is first enough time to try get this started out with the promotor to get some answers about what happened.

If the promotor does not reply back, or just comes up with some "I don't know." excuse, then we all need the following information:

What is the name of the Expo you attended?
What are the names of the people who work for the Organizer?
What is the name of the company that provided Security for the event?
What is the name of the Promotional company?
Go through your car thoroughly and check for damage.
Verify that nothing is missing from your car.

If things do not work out, we need this information to protect other DeLorean owners. We need to know what Expos, Promotors, Security companies, and individuals we cannot trust with our cars. And to an equal extent, other movie car and prop owners too that participate in this kinds of events also need to be aware of this as well. Be it the Knight Rider Trans Ams, Ecto-1's, Jurassic Park Jeeps, or whatever.

If this cannot be resolved, then we should know so that we can protect ourselves.

Dangermouse
11-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah I emailed them the photo too. More than anything else, i just want to know what the hell happened. An apology certainly would be nice. The keys stayed with security and when i returned to get the car on sunday evening the door were indeed locked, so what happened and when?

Was it supposed to be displayed with the doors open or closed or closed & locked? Or was that even discussed?

It's one thing to run and jump in a display car with the doors open and quite another to find the person with the keys to have it unlocked before getting in.

sdg3205
11-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Was it supposed to be displayed with the doors open or closed or closed & locked? Or was that even discussed?

It's one thing to run and jump in a display car with the doors open and quite another to find the person with the keys to have it unlocked before getting in.

The agreement was just CL was allowed in the car. Paying fans got their pics with him, but they stood outside the car. I saw these float around instagram and everything was fine on that front.

When the car was not in use for pics, it was actually hidden behind a curtain and ropes. What i witnessed when i was there was darn good security.

To Rob's point - thats what I'm after - i just want to know what happened, because knowing who the guilty party is will determine who I choose to work with again moving forward. My guess is everyone involved - who I've emailed - will make this out to be an overreaction on my part. I don't think they'll understand or care about my concerns. I hope I'm wrong, but they got what they wanted, the show is over, so 'who cares about the dick with the DeLorean? It's just a car.'

DMCVegas
11-20-2016, 04:23 PM
My guess is everyone involved - who I've emailed - will make this out to be an overreaction on my part. I don't think they'll understand or care about my concerns.

No way. You have every right to feel the way that you do. When you're dealing with a classic car by itself, there are allot of fragile parts inside that can easily become damaged, or even go missing entirely. Same with movie props that might be lent out including entire vehicles. Even more so then if you've got rabid, disrespectful fans that always want a souvenir. Which I would see all the time in Vegas. Hard Rock Hotel? They have real cymbals from Zildjian placed used as wall sconces up and down all the halls, and tourists would always rip them out. The Playboy club at Palms had upholstery buttons with bunny logos in their lounge furniture. And during the day when the club was closed, all lit up bright from the sun and service lights, it looked like crap because people were always ripping up the furniture to take a souvenir with them.

So the concern that someone is going to either accidentally break something like a turn signal stalk, purposefully steal something in a BTTF car as a keepsake, or worst of all accidentally knock the car out of gear and send it rolling into something to crunch the fenders is a real possibility. It is why you had that agreement to only let certain people in the car, and that was clearly violated. That is why I say that you need to comb over your car and ensure that nothing is damaged or missing.

Because re-read that post again. User @thegracerose wrote: "Yeah you got the best picture....."

Holy shit! That must mean that multiple pictures were taken, and that this woman wasn't the only person crawling all over your car! But if you zoom in, she is wearing a blue badge. What does that mean for this particular exhibit? Is she a attendee, vendor, organizer?

I hope I'm wrong, but they got what they wanted, the show is over, so 'who cares about the dick with the DeLorean? It's just a car.'

Maybe so, but your documenting this experience will go a long way to help protect others in the future. Likewise, this company has all sorts of expos that they host in numerous other cities across it seems both Canada as well as down here in the U.S. If you do not get the proper resolution that is agreed upon, then you need to spread that word across as many boards as possible to protect other DeLorean owners, as well as those for other cars & props. Perhaps then once people stop agreeing to work with them, they'll wake up. Likewise, it is also important that we also know what the names are of the people who you are directly dealing with so that we can go ahead and flag those individuals as well.

You've got to wait until sometime next week when you feel you've given enough time, of course. But unless you receive what it will take to satisfy you in this matter, I would advise that you call for a boycott of the following:

FanExpo HQ; They are the organizers it seems that put on a number of these expos/cons, which according to them are:

FanExpo Canada
FanExpo Vancouver
FanExpo Regina
FanExpo Dallas
Toronto ComiCon
Dallas Fan Days
MegaCon Orlando
MegaCon Tampa Bay

Jive PR + Digital

Whatever Security company was contracted with.

From there, if you do not get the satisfaction that you need, I would seriously spread the word around and request a boycott of all individuals & entities involved. It's not because you're trying to complain, but because we in our community, just as others in their respective communities, need to protect our cars and props. You would honestly bedoing a disservice to many communities and individuals if you did NOT spread awareness of what happened to your car and how your concerns were treated.

sdg3205
11-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Got some closure today. The organizer with FanExpo who contracted me for the event apologized for the girl in the car. Apparently she DOES work for Jive PR (contracted media relations for FanExpo, so not technically FanExpo), which is ironic because Jive PR never replied to my email which to me is terrible PR. Hah.

He said he'd talk to them about what happened.

So there you have it.

DMC-81
11-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Glad that you got some closure Dave. It's a weird new world where people do something they're not supposed to, and then..... post it to the Internet. :headscratch:

Jonathan
11-24-2016, 10:48 PM
Glad that you got some closure Dave. It's a weird new world where people do something they're not supposed to, and then..... post it to the Internet. :headscratch:

Yea, definitely weird times.

Here's something to chew on or scratch your head about...

I was watching one of those ESPN 30 for 30 films and it was on doping in sports. I don't remember if it was the Ben Johnson/Carl Lewis one or the Marion Jones one, but in any event, one of the things they discussed was how many of those samples were kept from years ago and then retested (unofficially) with today's current testing abilities and technologies.

What they found was that while athletes back in the day got away with having performance enhancers in their system because they had fooled the testing methods, they weren't fooling the current testing methods all these years later, because the testing is a lot better than it was. The lab people never shared the names or details mostly because of not knowing what to do with the results, but the moral of the story was that they were all on the juice back then but it took years later to actually figure it out for certain.

So... getting to posting things you shouldn't be doing on the Internet... I suspect that there is going to be a day sometime in the future where the computing power is vastly more advanced (a given) and that'll include facial recognition for any of us with accounts with a face and then I think we're going to see databases be able to go back in time to reanalyze old info or footage or pictures and quickly pull out hits of people and figure out who was where and when and what they were doing at that time.

You think of all the cameras all over the place and they're recording God knows what, well I figure that while we don't necessarily have the computing power or facial databases quite yet to go through it all, I think there will be a time in the future where some supercomputer by our standards today can go through it in an instant and pull out all kinds of this sort of thing.

What's the phrase? Big Brother isn't coming, he's already here. Fun fun.

mluder
11-25-2016, 01:19 AM
So... getting to posting things you shouldn't be doing on the Internet... I suspect that there is going to be a day sometime in the future where the computing power is vastly more advanced (a given) and that'll include facial recognition for any of us with accounts with a face and then I think we're going to see databases be able to go back in time to reanalyze old info or footage or pictures and quickly pull out hits of people and figure out who was where and when and what they were doing at that time.

You think of all the cameras all over the place and they're recording God knows what, well I figure that while we don't necessarily have the computing power or facial databases quite yet to go through it all, I think there will be a time in the future where some supercomputer by our standards today can go through it in an instant and pull out all kinds of this sort of thing.

I got news for you... Anything YOU can think of today, your government has been able to do for at least 5 years. Trust me.

Cheers
Steve

Michael
11-25-2016, 06:36 AM
I got news for you... Anything YOU can think of today, your government has been able to do for at least 5 years. Trust me.

Cheers
Steve

I just want a real lightsaber

SamHill
11-25-2016, 10:41 AM
I just want a real lightsaber

I want those laser handcuffs. Also want to go to Toshi station and pick up some power inverters.

Jonathan
11-25-2016, 10:50 AM
I'll take a cloaking device for the D, but one you can still pull up to the drive thru window with while cloaked to grab a coffee.

Delorean3610
11-25-2016, 11:26 AM
I'll take a cloaking device for the D, but one you can still pull up to the drive thru window with while cloaked to grab a coffee.

And then you get rear ended by the guy behind you.

DMCVegas
11-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Over the past few years in Nevada, they will tell you NOT to smile during your drivers license photo. Apparently it screws up facial recognition software because it alters the points on your face as the muscles contract. So there's that. But the technology is still too unreliable to work properly.

But the thing is that there isn't simply some sort of "Big Brother" spying on us. It's that we're all instead vying for his attention. If the government suddenly mandated that we need to check in multiple times a day with a description of our activities and proof of activities and location with GPS coordinates, we'd all collectively shit a brick and scream fascism. BUT, tell us that it's for fame & acceptance among our peers to gain approval from within our little circle of friends, and we're totally OK with that. It's called Facebook. Big Brother need only be bothered to look up your activities when needed.

The woman in the car, I pretty much knew she worked for the PR firm given that she kept getting tagged in other people's photos from the event where both were thanked equally. And that is because even though she has has tried to purge all records of herself, she cannot possibly purge the records that her friends and associates kept of her. Just like tracking someone through the woods that leaves a bunch of shoe prints and broken branches in their wake, and they still create a trail that leads back to them. That is why you have to be so careful on the Internet with what you post because job recruiters will search those records and will find those things out.

However Dave wants to pursue this is up to him. It sounds like the FanExpo group so far is taking the concern seriously. The PR firm on the other hand, their silence has been deafening. Sure, it's the holidays (at least down in the U.S.), but they could at least have acknowledged his e-mail with even a generic, canned response. At this point, I definitely would NOT attend any event where Jive PR+ is involved, nor especially rent out a car for use around their people. Sure it may have been only 1 person's doing, but they could at least have publicly acknowledged that. The lack of response for myself means one of two things: either they are in over their heads and do not know how to deal with things like this, which should make everyone question doing business with such a potentially incompetent organization. Or, they really are just a bunch of entitled people that beleive they can do whatever they want, and just don't given a damn what anyone thinks. Which is all the more reason to avoid ever having anything to do with them.

BladeBronson
12-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Related. :(

https://instagram.com/p/BNyDHnZDQBU/

DMC-81
12-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Related. :(

https://instagram.com/p/BNyDHnZDQBU/

Unbelievable. By looking at all the 15 comments so far, it is not getting the attention she was probably hoping for.

Guessing it won't last long, here is the post from the self described geekbabe for posterity...

Michael
12-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Since when did "geek" and "nerd" become synonymous with fat and lazy?

sdg3205
12-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Has she also made her account private since the pic was shared? Says I need to follow her to see the pic.

DMCVegas
12-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Since when did "geek" and "nerd" become synonymous with fat and lazy?

Well, the stereotype has been around for quite some time.

However, the better question is why do people keep trying to self-apply those labels to try and get attention? Most people who would fit into those traditional definitions are usually pretty private and prefer to be independent. They're not antisocial, just have a much tighter group of friends, and don't actually seek out attention. So if you're trying to brag about the title, you're not really one at all. Kinda like the old saying that if you don't know what Mensa is, there's a reason... But people desperately need attention nowadays, so whatever helps I suppose.

Though admittedly, I'm old fashioned. When someone says Geek, instead of an IT guy working on a computer, I picture an alcoholic junkie at a sideshow biting the heads off of live chickens and snakes so he can score some cheap dope. So when someone says, "I'm a geek girl!", my only thought is to please keep that woman out of the pet shop for the safety of the animals.

It is wrong to shame someone because of their body, gender, or whatever. We should not do that. But please read up on the etymology of the words you choose before you commit to using them to describe yourself.

Jonathan
12-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Has she also made her account private since the pic was shared? Says I need to follow her to see the pic.

Yes, I think so. I checked it earlier and could see it without logging in or following her and now it says the page you've requested cannot be found (or something along those lines).

Well, the stereotype has been around for quite some time.

However, the better question is why do people keep trying to self-apply those labels to try and get attention? Most people who would fit into those traditional definitions are usually pretty private and prefer to be independent. They're not antisocial, just have a much tighter group of friends, and don't actually seek out attention. So if you're trying to brag about the title, you're not really one at all. Kinda like the old saying that if you don't know what Mensa is, there's a reason... But people desperately need attention nowadays, so whatever helps I suppose.

Though admittedly, I'm old fashioned. When someone says Geek, instead of an IT guy working on a computer, I picture an alcoholic junkie at a sideshow biting the heads off of live chickens and snakes so he can score some cheap dope. So when someone says, "I'm a geek girl!", my only thought is to please keep that woman out of the pet shop for the safety of the animals.

It is wrong to shame someone because of their body, gender, or whatever. We should not do that. But please read up on the etymology of the words you choose before you commit to using them to describe yourself.

My take on the "new breed" of geeks or nerds or Comicon types is that it has suddenly become fashionable. Or trendy. Like it became desirable to emphasize how you're "a bit of a dork" on an online profile.

Somehow I don't buy that though because when you see this mentioned, it is often by people that clearly don't fit the part. Overly attractive women on dating sites or even professional athletes. There was a short lived fad not long ago where you had these world class basketball players wearing clear lense glasses in an effort to look more intelligent or geeky perhaps. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade wore them if I remember correctly.

Robert's right about how it was usually something no one needed or wanted to bring attention to themselves for. Much simpler or happier just off doing your own thing without the need for all the fan fare or attention. Now it's become an appealing quality somehow, but by those jumping on the geek bandwagon because that looks cool to them. Maybe it has been the light shone on the likes of a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or other geek turned billionaire and the Kardashian following type thinks this is how they get to the promised land? We are in the "Broadcast Yourself" (aka YouTube) era afterall.

It doesn't seem natural though, out of place, like someone that doesn't know the first thing about anything geeky, or nerdy or intelligent is trying to play the part because they watched a couple episodes of the Big Bang Theory. I get a laugh out of how overused all the stats and number crunching has become in professional sports all because of the Oakland A's and Billy Bean (aka Moneyball) having success with it. It's rampant in baseball and how the teams play the game, or talk about it afterwards. Same for hockey.

The funniest part is that most of the players and certainly the TV personalities couldn't fight their way out of a grade 10 math class equivalent to a wet paper bag. You hear these dumb dumbs talking math and numbers and none of it means anything to them as they don't get it. Just trying to go along with the masses and keep up the appearances... in this case, being intelligent.

I agree with not needing to shame someone because of how they look, gender, etc. Lying on the car gets a tongue lashing of course, same as she would if she was 100 lbs lighter. Easy to pile on to looks or weight or whatever even though it gets people off the actual issue unfortunately. I don't say this aiming to start some political mess, but people do the same with Michael Moore when he has something to say or makes a new movie. He gets beat up pretty badly about how he looks instead of the comments sticking to what he had to say and whether you agree with it or not.

sdg3205
12-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Another one cowers in obscurity.

Michael
12-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Johnathan and Robert are in a dead heat for the title of members who write the longest posts.

Jonathan
12-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Johnathan and Robert are in a dead heat for the title of members who write the longest posts.

Agreed :P~