PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Voltmeter Gauge low

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Hi. I was hoping someone could assist. I removed my Binnacle to replace the trip reset, convert to LEDs etc. I reinstalled the Binnacle and the voltmeter seems to be way off in accuracy now as well as RPMs seem a little higher than normal. When I turn on car & hit the accelerator the voltmeter stays put. The multimeter reading is 11.91v. Any suggestions?

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 10:43 AM
Hi. I was hoping someone could assist. I removed my Binnacle to replace the trip reset, convert to LEDs etc. I reinstalled the Binnacle and the voltmeter seems to be way off in accuracy now as well as RPMs seem a little higher than normal. When I turn on car & hit the accelerator the voltmeter stays put. The multimeter reading is 11.91v. Any suggestions?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/804cb699515227d0b484dc7605ea59cc.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Have you checked the voltage with a multimeter? Does your alternator light come on with the key set on?

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Have you checked the voltage with a multimeter? Does your alternator light come on with the key set on?

I have. The multimeter reading is 11.91v with ignition off & 11.50v with ignition on. Dash battery light is not on.

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Correction. Dash battery light is on when keyset is on but goes off when car is started.

eight8toy
02-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Is that voltmeter reading at the battery terminals? I had my alternator die one day and those were about the same readings I got at the battery too. No warning, just out for a drive and my "new" alternator just gave up and left me stranded! That was like my first 2 weeks of ownership.

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Is that voltmeter reading at the battery terminals? I had my alternator die one day and those were about the same readings I got at the battery too. No warning, just out for a drive and my "new" alternator just gave up and left me stranded! That was like my first 2 weeks of ownership.

Yes it was at the battery terminals. I let the car run for a while & it seems to be making a comeback. Last check with the multimeter was 13.85v

DavidProehl
02-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Did you leave the low battery light as an incandescent or replace it with an LED as well? I'm not sure what the symptoms are with an LED for your low battery light, but your battery won't charge so I'd expect you'd see low voltage like this. The low battery light must remain incandescent.

Bitsyncmaster
02-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Normaly you should be getting 14 to 14.8 volts with the engine running and no loads turned on. Colder the voltage runs higher than when the alternator is hot.

Alternators don't usually fail intermittent. Usually a failure is sudden and permanent.

Trstno1
02-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Did you leave the low battery light as an incandescent or replace it with an LED as well? I'm not sure what the symptoms are with an LED for your low battery light, but your battery won't charge so I'd expect you'd see low voltage like this. The low battery light must remain incandescent.

+1

Trstno1
02-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Slightly off topic, but what if your volt meter shows lower reading than the battery? Incadensant bulb, but when car is running and charging, the volt meter reads about a volt lower than at the battery. I've never worried about it too much since the battery was seeing what it needed to charge, but I'll be taking my binnacle out soon, and was wondering what may be the culprit. All other gauges and lights work as expected.

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 10:01 PM

I was very careful to NOT put an incandescent bulb in for the battery bulb. I triple checked lol.

DavidProehl
02-20-2017, 10:13 PM
I was very careful to NOT put an incandescent bulb in for the battery bulb. I triple checked lol.

I assume you mean the opposite. As in you were very careful TO put an incandescent in for the battery bulb. Ok, scratch that idea then.

GR8SCOTT
02-20-2017, 10:20 PM
I assume you mean the opposite. As in you were very careful TO put an incandescent in for the battery bulb. Ok, scratch that idea then.

Oops typo. Yes I was careful NOT to put an LED.