PDA

View Full Version : Hervey's carpet sets - anyone got them?

Barson
09-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Hi guys

I'm just after your opinion on Hervey's carpet sets. are they good quality? I'm split between Hervey and Houston and need some persuasion either way.

cheers
dave.

DeloreanJoshQ
09-05-2011, 12:28 AM
+1...interested too....noticed Herveys are significantly cheaper...

A Van
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Dave H had some made in the UK,

john 05141
09-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Yep, I have a set from John Hervey. complete set actually.
I have a grey interiour and I ordered the opal color, which is a bit darker than normal I think.

The only disdavantage is that the set comes in a box where the carpet is folded into. It kind of wrinkles the set that would not come out. So before installing I used my wife's steam iron and carefully got all the wrinkles out.

I installed the new carpet set 3 years ago, and they still lool like new today. I am very happy with the result. I added Dynamat under there too (not recomended though for the so called sound improvement) but I had the carpet set installed with ease. Takes you about 3 evenings to do this, but is a very nice work, not that hard to do either.
The set also included the small parts for the doors.
On the second picture you see the new part of set on the drivers side and the old one at the passengers side. Note the decoloration difference with that part under the console. That is the color I wanted (as it was 30 years ago) and you can see it came pretty darn close.

I redyed the whole interiour and with the seats newly recovered and the new carpet set the car was like showroom new

After so many miles and vacuum cleaning, the carpet does not show any sighs of wear.
Anyone wants to see more pictures just met me know.

John

Barson
09-09-2011, 07:24 AM
hi guys

sorry for the late reply I've been away.

alright. I'll have a continued look around. see what's what.

Have a chat with Dave H.

thanks again!

Dave.

DMCH James
09-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Only because you mentioned that you were considering ours will I mention that one of the big differences between Hervey's carpets and the DMCH carpets (available through any of our dealers) is that ours are molded to fit (like the originals), rather than cut and sewn. As with any interior project, quality of the finished product has a great deal to with the skill of the installer, and a molded set is easier to install. Here are some photos of the molds and the first prototype set of carpets (from Spring 2009) that came off the molds.

Though the photos show the first prototype, all production carpet sets being sold by DMC and our dealers have the correctly molded and colored "heel and toe" pads as well as black piping on the edges, the correctly grained vinyl on the "flaps" of the sill carpets, storage compartment cover and the two pieces that go on the bottom of each lower door panel.

Standard molded carpet sets come in light grey or "charcoal" and any of the colors shown here: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10404-complete-molded-carpet-set-custom-color-reproduction.aspx

The carpet comes with a jute backing, but it is also available with a sound deadening material backing by special order at additional cost. Call for pricing or to order this option.

James

deloreanz
11-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Yep, I have a set from John Hervey. complete set actually.
I have a grey interiour and I ordered the opal color, which is a bit darker than normal I think.

The only disdavantage is that the set comes in a box where the carpet is folded into. It kind of wrinkles the set that would not come out. So before installing I used my wife's steam iron and carefully got all the wrinkles out.

I installed the new carpet set 3 years ago, and they still lool like new today. I am very happy with the result. I added Dynamat under there too (not recomended though for the so called sound improvement) but I had the carpet set installed with ease. Takes you about 3 evenings to do this, but is a very nice work, not that hard to do either.
The set also included the small parts for the doors.
On the second picture you see the new part of set on the drivers side and the old one at the passengers side. Note the decoloration difference with that part under the console. That is the color I wanted (as it was 30 years ago) and you can see it came pretty darn close.

I redyed the whole interiour and with the seats newly recovered and the new carpet set the car was like showroom new

After so many miles and vacuum cleaning, the carpet does not show any sighs of wear.
Anyone wants to see more pictures just met me know.

John

Out of curiosity, what is that second metal plate above your vin plate in the picture?

thirdmanj
11-01-2011, 08:20 AM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4972&d=1315557503

I know it's off topic, but I have to ask about that DMC logo on your steering wheel. What is it? How'd you do it? I'd love to replicate the look on mine.

john 05141
11-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Deloreans are not allowed on the Begian roads, because there was never a homologation certificate. Many countries in Europe dealt with this one way or another. But someone here pulled it off to register deloreans as "prototypes" so I'm officially driving a prototype car. I did not like that plate being installed there, but it HAD to be there. A last attempt to install it on the other side was also denied.
All Begian Delorean (should) have that there.

But I believe recently it has become easier to register deloreans, or so I heard.

John

A Van
11-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Sorry to go off topic, there is a document on the Eurotec forum which details a 50 car Belgian trial, which doesn't appear quite got there

john 05141
11-14-2011, 05:14 AM
???????
Not quite sure I can follow you here.

John

DMCSPRINT
12-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello, I can tell you first hand that the carpets sets from Houston are MUCH better quality and fit than the ones Hervey sells . I bought a black set of his carpet (Herveys)primarily because he has always been great to deal with on past purchases so I assumed his product would be top quality with the carpet as well, I have certainly learned my lesson. The set from Hervey was very thin and fraying at all the ends( like when you buy scrap remnats of carpet) it did not fit properly in many sections. The original carpet was thick quality and lifted up from the glue without even separating, where as Herveys carpet was so thin that if you put any glue(spray adhesive) down and tried to move the carpet it would completely come apart. I was not happy but Hervey said he would refund me and to send the carpet back torn or not. I even mentioned to him how it would probably be really torn up as some sections were already glued down. However rhe had a change of heart and after calling him multiple times I finally got an email that his carpet guy said I didn't know how to install it correctly and he wouldn't give me a refund as promised. I did try many times to try and work something out with him, but it was to no avail. To sum it up I then purchased a set from Houston and was extremely pleased with it and I apparently learned how to install it as everything fit perfect. So in my opinion pay more and get a quality product from Houston. Good luck.

john 05141
12-05-2011, 03:47 AM
OK....?!

The price difference was quite big at the time I was looking to replace my carpets. I think I paid 500$ for the complete set (I mean everything) and they were freshly made. I am not sure if DMC had new one already available then, and I had no interest to replace my 30 year old carpet with... 30 year NOS old carpet.

Agreed, it was not preformed. But I had no trouble to install the set at all. I did use glue where necessary, and no one will see any difference. I think my original carpet was thinner than Hervey's one. This winter I think it will be 4 years ago this winter, and they still look like new. But I am not driving my car that much.

DMC's might be better, no argue. but I have no complaints in my case. I am not defending john Hervey just saying my experience was good, I had no issues.

John

DeloreanJoshQ
12-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Only because you mentioned that you were considering ours will I mention that one of the big differences between Hervey's carpets and the DMCH carpets (available through any of our dealers) is that ours are molded to fit (like the originals), rather than cut and sewn. As with any interior project, quality of the finished product has a great deal to with the skill of the installer, and a molded set is easier to install. Here are some photos of the molds and the first prototype set of carpets (from Spring 2009) that came off the molds.

Though the photos show the first prototype, all production carpet sets being sold by DMC and our dealers have the correctly molded and colored "heel and toe" pads as well as black piping on the edges, the correctly grained vinyl on the "flaps" of the sill carpets, storage compartment cover and the two pieces that go on the bottom of each lower door panel.

Standard molded carpet sets come in light grey or "charcoal" and any of the colors shown here: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10404-complete-molded-carpet-set-custom-color-reproduction.aspx

The carpet comes with a jute backing, but it is also available with a sound deadening material backing by special order at additional cost. Call for pricing or to order this option.

James

James, does the DMC new carpets include the vinyl pieces sewn on the sides where the door weather stripping clamps overtop or is it just plain carpet?
Also, are the wear pads on the light grey carpets black or grey? They were originally black, correct?
Does anyone have any pics of this?

DMCMW Dave
12-26-2011, 10:54 PM
James, does the DMC new carpets include the vinyl pieces sewn on the sides where the door weather stripping clamps overtop or is it just plain carpet?
Also, are the wear pads on the light grey carpets black or grey? They were originally black, correct?
Does anyone have any pics of this?

They include the vinyl strips bonded to the carpet. The wear pads are black. I'll have to look for pictures later, but I honestly don't recall taking any from the cars we've done.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-27-2011, 12:38 AM
They include the vinyl strips bonded to the carpet. The wear pads are black. I'll have to look for pictures later, but I honestly don't recall taking any from the cars we've done.

Thanks Dave!

DMCMW Dave
12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks Dave!

Here is a set in the darker grey aka black.

7449 7450

QuadcityDMC
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey Dave , my car also has DMCH Light grey set and seat covers if anyone wants see what that looks like.

I'm glad I went with DMC carpet set. I look at it this way the parts that have been replace on my car have been 25-30 years old. So I am putting new and improved parts or NOS parts I should get another 25-30 years out of them.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Hey Dave , my car also has DMCH Light grey set and seat covers if anyone wants see what that looks like.

I'm glad I went with DMC carpet set. I look at it this way the parts that have been replace on my car have been 25-30 years old. So I am putting new and improved parts or NOS parts I should get another 25-30 years out of them.

May I see these pics please? You have BR's old car right?

DMCMW Dave
12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
7475 7476

Here are a couple shots of "QuadcityDMC's" light grey interior. It's a self-install and a nice job of it.

BTW - I really have to compliment him (aka Steve) with the difference he's made in this car in the time he's owned it. It's not really recognizable as the same car.

PS - ignore the pattern on the floor carpet - it's dimples from the back side of the floor mat that I removed for the photo.

MODERATOR NOTE - can you split this thread at about the 6th post? The subject has really changed. . . .

DMC02766
03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
I just got the DMCH black seat covers and love them... I will be looking at ordering some carpet from them next after seeing these photos. I dont know if mine faded over time or what but the factory carpet in mine looks almost like it has a blue/green tint to it or something.

DMCH James
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
We just got in a car with a "cut and sewn" carpet set installed, and I thought I'd post some pics to show the difference. There is a significant visual difference between DMC molded sets and others cut and sewn sets. Despite others use of our part numbers for these, they are not the same. Compare the photos of "cut and sewn" kit to the original molded set in your car and in Dave's photos. That's why there's a $250 difference.

And, despite what some may say the DMC kits DO come with the lower carpet strip for the lower door panel AND pieces are individually replaceable if it ever become necessary.

James

-----------------

DMCH James
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Here's closeup photos of the vinyl's used in our molded sets and others "cut and sewn". Compare it to the original in your car - this is same vinyl that we had made for the vinyl sides of the seats and the a- and b-pillar trims that we sell. Ours is on the left.

James

sean
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
While I think I agree with your opinion of the "cut and sewn", could you provide a comparison picture between the two styles of carpet material used?

Delorean Industries
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
We just got in a car with a "cut and sewn" carpet set installed, and I thought I'd post some pics to show the difference. There is a significant visual difference between DMC molded sets and others cut and sewn sets. Despite others use of our part numbers for these, they are not the same. Compare the photos of "cut and sewn" kit to the original molded set in your car and in Dave's photos. That's why there's a $250 difference.

And, despite what some may say the DMC kits DO come with the lower carpet strip for the lower door panel AND pieces are individually replaceable if it ever become necessary.

James

-----------------

Now all you need to do is have your manufacture not glue the backing on. I agree the molded fit nice when a lot of extra effort is applied. Especially on the wheel wells, If the jute was separate and applied first with the carpet glued to it after fitment would be excellent.

Delorean Industries
03-13-2012, 11:53 AM

James

-----------------

Please tell me you are replacing these right? The "cut and sew" across the wheel wells is terrible. This isn't even comparable in quality.

dmc6960
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
this is same vinyl that we had made for the vinyl sides of the seats

Do you by chance sell this vinyl in bulk?

john 05141
03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
I have a cut ans sewn version, does not quite look like the one you're showing.
John

DeloreanJoshQ
03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
I will be buying the DMCH light grey version at some point this year.....

Thanks for showing the differences!!

stevedmc
03-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I will be buying the DMCH light grey version at some point this year.....

Thanks for showing the differences!!

I would probably buy the DMCH version too for ease of installation but you've got to keep in mind that James and Hervey aren't exactly buddies. They both say the same crap about each others products all the time.

thirdmanj
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
I would probably buy the DMCH version too for ease of installation but you've got to keep in mind that James and Hervey aren't exactly buddies. They both say the same crap about each others products all the time.

:popcorn:

Delorean Industries
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM

So you should just trust the third party vendor opinion from my direction as I'm buddies with neither and will only use the best available since that is what owners demand from us.

stevedmc
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
So you should just trust the third party vendor opinion from my direction as I'm buddies with neither and will only use the best available since that is what owners demand from us.

Everyone is a third party vendor. DMCH acts like they are Delorean Motor Company but last time I checked, DMC went backrupt way back in the 80s.

dmc6960
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Everyone is a third party vendor. DMCH acts like they are Delorean Motor Company but last time I checked, DMC went backrupt way back in the 80s.

But Josh himself is a "Third-Party" who does not make his own carpets and instead buys them from one of the suppliers of replacement carpets. The fact that he does not do it for his own car but rather for paying customers; speaks to his opinion of fit, finish, and quality; to maintain his own high standard of quality.

Delorean Industries
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
But Josh himself is a "Third-Party" who does not make his own carpets and instead buys them from one of the suppliers of replacement carpets. The fact that he does not do it for his own car but rather for paying customers; speaks to his opinion of fit, finish, and quality; to maintain his own high standard of quality.

I'm more then willing to give helpful pointers along the way of how to improve the product as well. Some just have no hope of improvement though due to the manner of manufacturing. I would rather not install something and lose the job/income then live with being associated with a product.

stevedmc
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
But Josh himself is a "Third-Party" who does not make his own carpets and instead buys them from one of the suppliers of replacement carpets.

Gotcha. You meant Josh is somewhat of a consumer like the rest of us. He just happens to make money with his hobby.

Some day Josh, some day, I am going to bring my car to you, someday.