PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body New door handles don't fit correctly..

KTwaffles02
03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
I installed my new metal DMC handles but they are just slightly different from the original ones. I can't get them to match up with the trim molding as they sit a little lower and the seal wont sit tight against the door. Has anyone else ran into this and have any suggestions for a better fit?

Chris 16409
03-19-2017, 08:30 PM
This might have something to do with the black handle bezel. The original ones were rubber and the reproductions are a harder plastic. My buddy has one of the metal door handles, and the bezel doesn't fit flush like the rubber bezels did.

KTwaffles02
03-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Yeah that sounds like the same issue I am having

Rich_NYS
03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Same with mine. From what I've heard, that's the way they fit.

I guess making a door handle is harder than it would seem....

Lwanmtr
03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
could make a rubber gasket to fill in the gap?

Timebender
03-20-2017, 12:31 AM
My drivers side fit fine, however I was only able to get one nut on, as one of the studs was at an odd angle and there was no way to get a nut on it. So here's hoping the handle stays on nice and tight with the one nut.

KTwaffles02
03-20-2017, 12:47 AM
I had a tough time getting both of the nuts on as well. I was finally able to get them both by leaving the first one loose and using a swivel on a short socket and a lot of patience while moving the handle up very slightly to get enough room to get the threads lined up. I do like the idea of making a rubber gasket to help seal it up, may be the only option. I don't like the thought of drilling out the holes a little to slide the handle up so Ill just deal with them being a little low. The average person won't even notice but it's going to drive me crazy.

Drive Stainless
03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
I don't like the thought of drilling out the holes a little to slide the handle up so Ill just deal with them being a little low. The average person won't even notice but it's going to drive me crazy.

You could always move the rub strips to align with your new handle! If your door-fender alignment is a little off, correcting the rub strip alignment can definitely mask it. When the door-fender body lines aren't aligned, it's slightly noticeable, but when the rub strips don't align, it's very noticeable.