PDA

View Full Version : Door Trim Panel, Plastic Trees pulled out

Jeff K
09-05-2011, 02:37 AM
I removed my upper door trim panels. I was careful (or so I thought) but a few of the plastic trees pulled out of the backing on the panel. The hole is too large now, what should I do?

I was going to try epoxying them in. Any other solutions? An industrial strength Velcro would be easier to remove.

Thanks
Jeff

Chris 16409
09-05-2011, 06:13 AM
I removed my upper door trim panels. I was careful (or so I thought) but a few of the plastic trees pulled out of the backing on the panel. The hole is too large now, what should I do?

I was going to try epoxying them in. Any other solutions? An industrial strength Velcro would be easier to remove.

Thanks
Jeff

I've had this problem too many times. That's why I've developed this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?762-A-new-Idea-for-Attaching-Upper-Door-Panels

Take a look through that. The "magnet mod" might be a good choice for you.

Jeff K
09-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I've had this problem too many times. That's why I've developed this:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?762-A-new-Idea-for-Attaching-Upper-Door-Panels

Take a look through that. The "magnet mod" might be a good choice for you.

That is a great idea Chris! Thanks for the link. I'm going that route for sure.

How has it been holding up?

Chris 16409
09-05-2011, 01:32 PM

So far so good. I think it really matters what kind of adhesive you use. The Goop stuff I used seems to be the best choice. Another guy had some issues because his panels were the plastic type and they're heavier. Also that metal clip at the rear of the panel had broken off. Let me know how it works out.

--Hey Mike or Sean, maybe you want to move this to the thread in DeLorean Mod section--

TTait
09-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Holding up fine on mine - good mod.

Jeff K
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM

I ordered my magnets from the same person you did. I'm looking forward to doing this mod.

Thanks again - great tip.

PS - is Goop all the same? I was going to use 24hr epoxy.

Brisfx
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I tried the same mod here in Australia and worked great till my glue gave way, so I have ordered some goop from EBAY. Its a great idea

Brad

Chris 16409
09-07-2011, 02:42 AM
PS - is Goop all the same? I was going to use 24hr epoxy.

Goop is not an epoxy. It dries pretty firm, but not as hard as epoxy does. It's kind of an interesting adhesive. I decided to use it because it seems to tightly bond mating surfaces together. I used it to mount a switch for my trunk actuator, it worked well, so I thought it would be good for the magnets too. If you can get Goop, I would just go with that. Check your local hardware store. I even found it at Jo-Ann's fabrics. They appear to have different lines of Goop (like for automotive use), but I just used the regular one in the blue tube. Here's a hint though, if you don't think you'll need the larger tube, get the smaller one because the big one may go bad on you if it lays around for a while. Otherwise put it in a bag to keep it fresh.