PDA

View Full Version : Engine Valley of Death/Distributor Cap

Utah DeLorean
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
So I finally got my Intake off... I just want to know if there was anything special that anyone would recommend while I have it off... I took it off so that I can replace one of the clips to the distributor cap. I imagine that I am also going to replace the spark plug wires. I don't know if I want to get into the clutch details.
Here is a picture of my intake off

content22207
09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Stick some rags in your intake ports so you don't end up accidentally dropping something in them that you will regret later.

Bill Robertson

opethmike
09-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Your heater return pipe is looking very rusted. I would suggest replacing that. You should also replace the two hoses on the back of the water pump, if not the water pump it self. Replace those intake o-rings as well.

Utah DeLorean
09-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I replaced the water pump a few years ago and yes I do so with out taking off the intake. Don't ask me how I did it, but I did. I will ask DMCH tomorrow about those pipes then. Thanks for the advice!

DMCMW Dave
09-06-2011, 12:29 AM
You probably don't realize it but your valley has several inches of dirt laying in it. Go after all the valley voids with a vacuum cleaner and make absolutely sure you get all the dirt out of the 4 deepest holes. They are at least 2 inches deep. This is good maintenance to do periodically.

I've replaced engine blocks this year due to holes in the casting. Not Fun.

TTait
09-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Even if you don't want to get into replacing the clutch slave, at least bleed it now.

New vacuum hoses?

Utah DeLorean
09-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Even if you don't want to get into replacing the clutch slave, at least bleed it now.

New vacuum hoses?

I am going to get all new vacuum hoses... I don't want to do black though. I am thinking that a really nice shade of blue would look good!

TTait
09-06-2011, 04:08 AM
I am going to get all new vacuum hoses... I don't want to do black though. I am thinking that a really nice shade of blue would look good!

Hervey sells a royal blue set...

Bitsyncmaster
09-06-2011, 05:37 AM

New vacuum hoses?

If your clutch slave has never been bled, you should replace (or rebuild) the slave. When I did my valley I bled the slave and two weeks later was back in there to rebuild it because of it leaking.

Farrar
09-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I generally pressure-test the coolant system with the intake off. Easy to see if that Y-pipe or return hoses are leaky.

Farrar

Canon20DFan
09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Replace every wire, hose and belt.

MartyP
09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Replace every wire, hose and belt.

+1

That's what I did when I went in the Valley. And very happy I did it, now she is reliable !

TTait
09-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Replace every wire? I'm not sure I'm clear on your intent...

I'd recommend inspecting every wire and connector carefully, cleaning the contacts, repairing any damage, etc, or swapping out the entire harness, but I wouldn't recommend cutting out all the wires and replacing them one by one, unless your Dave...