PDA

View Full Version : General How to Bend Center Console to fit Better?

lazabby
05-04-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm planning on taking out my center console soon to fix a couple of issues. While the console is out I want to fix something with it that has bothered me since I've had the car. The console "flares out" in the foot well. I've used piano wire with hooks on the end to pull the two sides close but it really doesn't solve the issue. Is there a fix to make the console fit tighter?

burch
05-04-2017, 10:49 AM
This is something that I'm looking at doing as well. I seem to remember someone epoxying a metal bar to the back of both sides (similar to the eyebrow fix method), but I can't remember right off.

lazabby
05-04-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure what the console is made of - fiberglass or whatever, but I'm wondering if I can get a heat gun and heat up the crease to make it pliable so as to bend it more.

David T
05-04-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure what the console is made of - fiberglass or whatever, but I'm wondering if I can get a heat gun and heat up the crease to make it pliable so as to bend it more.

The console is made of heavy cardboard so heat won't work. I glued a strip of thin sheet metal to each side about 2" X 10".

micmak
05-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I have wrestled with this since day 1 also. I tried heating it a few years ago, then I clamped it pulling the curled corners inwards. I left it for a few days. It worked, and I reinstalled the console. Gradually that summer, it curled back out again on both sides. This Winter, I removed the console again and I fished in a piece of wire a little heavier than a wire coat hanger, into the inside edge where the leather is glued in place. I slid it between the leather and the fiberglass/board stuff on the inside edge - if you know what I mean. It was a tedious task. I wish I had photos to explain what I did. Anyway, it gave me the ability to bend the curled edges in. It is better than before but still not as tidy as I would like it to be. I know some guys have screwed the curled corners right into the tub. I’m not keen on that idea. Not sure of any other tips or tricks to solve this.

......Mike......

Jack
05-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Run a solid wire/ coat hanger behind the console. Attach it to both sides of the console any way you want really. Using metal picture frame hangers like the one pictured to grab sides with out damage to console. I covered the frame hangers with gray rubber caps.

micmak
05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Run a solid wire/ coat hanger behind the console. Attach it to both sides of the console any way you want really. Using metal picture frame hangers like the one pictured to grab sides with out damage to console. I covered the frame hangers with gray rubber caps.

Hi Jack, not sure if I understand your idea. The tub and frame are between the two curled corners of the console when it is in its normal position. How can you run a wire between them?

......Mike......

Jack
05-05-2017, 01:54 PM
On my car the flare went away by having the wire hold the console sides tight against the walls.
You can test this by holding the console at the point were the top of the tube and console meet.
If the flare is to great you may need to combine the sheet metal and wire techniques to get a tight fit.
I'll post a pic later tonight if I don't forget ;)
I believe I copied this technique from a post on the old .com site.
So the credit goes to them they had photos also but that's all long gone I think.

micmak
05-05-2017, 02:31 PM
I'd love to see pics if you can arrange it.

......Mike.......

ssdelorean
05-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Hi Jack, not sure if I understand your idea. The tub and frame are between the two curled corners of the console when it is in its normal position. How can you run a wire between them?

......Mike......

On my car the flare went away by having the wire hold the console sides tight against the walls.
You can test this by holding the console at the point were the top of the tube and console meet.
If the flare is to great you may need to combine the sheet metal and wire techniques to get a tight fit.
I'll post a pic later tonight if I don't forget ;)
I believe I copied this technique from a post on the old .com site.
So the credit goes to them they had photos also but that's all long gone I think.

I'd love to see pics if you can arrange it.

......Mike.......

I think he means this:
http://ohiodeloreans.com/images/tips-CenterFlaps-Lrg.jpg

found here (http://ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-TipsTricksMods.htm) under "Tom Wilke's Center Console "Flap" Fix"

artisticent
05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
I need to do this also among other issues I have with the console. Its a cardboard so I think the fix is something like how we fix the plastic bumper eye lid issue with metal on the underside. Personally It would be cleaner to buy a quart of fiberglass resin and coat the underside with it. That would hold its shape for sure. I may remake the entire console out of fiberglass due to many contact points on the cardboard where the metal cross brackets have worked their way loose. This is a good thread

Jack
05-05-2017, 03:45 PM
i think he means this:
http://ohiodeloreans.com/images/tips-centerflaps-lrg.jpg

found here (http://ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-tipstricksmods.htm) under "tom wilke's center console "flap" fix"

yep

micmak
05-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Hmmmmm........ interesting. I might try that tomorrow.

Thanks.

......Mike......

micmak
05-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Well I tried it. It wasn't a great success. I suspected it wouldn't be but I wanted to try it before making a comment. In my case, and presumably most cases, the console corners are curled out. In those pics, the area below the clips, closer to the corners needs to be pulled in. Or indeed, the corners themselves. Pulling the two sides of the console together as described, does not "fix" the curled-out corners. It may make it less obvious, but it is not a proper fix in my opinion. If there was some way to get the clips in the described method down on the corners, then you could pull the curls in. So, its back to the drawing board as far as I am concerned! There's got to be a way to get those corners in. :)

lazabby
05-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Well I tried it. It wasn't a great success. I suspected it wouldn't be but I wanted to try it before making a comment. In my case, and presumably most cases, the console corners are curled out. In those pics, the area below the clips, closer to the corners needs to be pulled in. Or indeed, the corners themselves. Pulling the two sides of the console together as described, does not "fix" the curled-out corners. It may make it less obvious, but it is not a proper fix in my opinion. If there was some way to get the clips in the described method down on the corners, then you could pull the curls in. So, its back to the drawing board as far as I am concerned! There's got to be a way to get those corners in. :)

I've used the wire and hook route but it still doesn't look that great.