PDA

View Full Version : Suspension lower ball joint replacement by local garage recommendable?

john 05141
06-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Hi y'all,

I went to DMC Europe to replace the lower ball joint right front because there was a cracking sound there.
the sound was gone, drove home and discovered left front is also a problem. Ed send me a new lower bal joint because Ed is a 2.5 hour drive one way.
I understand there is no imlediate danger but as I will take a trip to Germany in 2 weeks I want to have this fixed.

Some local garages do dot want to work on Deloreans for whatever reason. One says he has no problem to install a new lower ball joint, no matter the brand. I will stay with the car but is this a good idea?.. can this be badly installed so there is a safety risk?

A Delorean friend was kind enough to offer his help but it is also a long drive and he is so busy already.

So this kind of job for a non-Delorean professional mechanic, good idea or not?

Jan

dn010
06-01-2017, 08:46 AM
All it is, is removing the lower control arm, pressing the joint out and pressing a new one in - so yes, a non DeLorean shop can accomplish this. You should also get the bushings for the lower control arm while it is out, it's also a press out/press in situation and they're cheap enough to just do them while you have it apart.

Hi y'all,

I went to DMC Europe to replace the lower ball joint right front because there was a cracking sound there.
the sound was gone, drove home and discovered left front is also a problem. Ed send me a new lower bal joint because Ed is a 2.5 hour drive one way.
I understand there is no imlediate danger but as I will take a trip to Germany in 2 weeks I want to have this fixed.

Some local garages do dot want to work on Deloreans for whatever reason. One says he has no problem to install a new lower ball joint, no matter the brand. I will stay with the car but is this a good idea?.. can this be badly installed so there is a safety risk?

A Delorean friend was kind enough to offer his help but it is also a long drive and he is so busy already.

So this kind of job for a non-Delorean professional mechanic, good idea or not?

Jan

john 05141
06-02-2017, 04:07 PM
When I called to corfirm this guy brutaly said he would not install parts that did not come from him. But problem will be solved nect week. Thanks for the bushing tip. I already have those.

Jan