PDA

View Full Version : General Delorean Power Seat Track Engineered, built and working!

Bob635
06-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I have been looking for power seat tracks and power seats that would fit the DeLorean for many years.
I have now given up my search.

I decided to build my own using the stock DeLorean seat tracks and a linear actuator.

The D seat tracks have approximately 6" of travel. So I bought a 6" linear actuator.
Given a typical coefficient of friction with a 250 lbs driver - 50 lbs of force was selected.
Speed of at least 1" per second was typical for power seats.
Cost about $150 in parts per side. Not including the welding.

So here are pictures of the finished driver's seat power seat track.

Yes, it only goes back and forth, because there really isn't any extra head room in a D.

They work really nice! Finally, power seats in a DeLorean!

sdg3205
06-03-2017, 04:43 PM
You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar!!

AugustneverEnds
06-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Bravo!! Cool project

Ryan King
06-03-2017, 06:54 PM
OoOoOoOooooooo.....

How did you end up wiring them up?

Lwanmtr
06-04-2017, 01:44 AM
How do you control them?

Maybe post some info so some of us with cars torn apart could think about doing it too?

BladeBronson
06-04-2017, 02:10 AM
I hope you're using the dummy switches as seat adjustments.

DaraSue
06-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Nifty! Sounds like this project is really moving right along...

dmcnorway
06-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Will you sell them?

Stian Birkeland
Norway

Bob635
06-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Separate circuit feeder from the battery + wire with 30 amp fuse.
Momentary contact field reversing switch (typical power seat switches)

The linear actuators have built in limit switches so you can't over extend the seat track.

Bob635
06-04-2017, 03:54 PM
I hope you're using the dummy switches as seat adjustments.

This is an interesting thought, but I plan on having cup holders in the console. I will be moving the power window switches to the doors (there is just enough wires). The seat switch will be on the side of the seat, just like typical seats.

Bob635
06-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Will you sell them?

Stian Birkeland
Norway

This is something I have thought about. Since I use the original DeLorean seat tracks I will need a inventory of both good seat tracks and junk ones, (I cut off 3" from the lower track and weld it on to the stock track.)

I will talk to some D repair shops to see if we can get an inventory. After that it is a simple task that just takes assembly time.

If people want these, just send me an email. If I have a enough people interested i can pursue this venture.

Bob

Lwanmtr
06-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Depending on how much, I'd be interested.

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2017, 09:12 PM
This is something I have thought about. Since I use the original DeLorean seat tracks I will need a inventory of both good seat tracks and junk ones, (I cut off 3" from the lower track and weld it on to the stock track.)

I will talk to some D repair shops to see if we can get an inventory.

Bob

Be careful what you agree to as cores. Some of the "junk" ones are completely rusted together and won't slide. You might be able to cut them up for what you are doing, but as the sliding part they would leave a lot to be desired. NOS Slides are only about $60/seat so starting with new ones might be worth the money so you don't have to mess with core exchanges and get stuck with rusty junk ones. as cores you have to re-sell as good.