PDA

View Full Version : General Degreasing the engine for troubleshooting suggestions?

AirmanPika
06-20-2017, 09:48 PM
So after a few years sitting and then a 1500 mile trek from Ohio to Colorado oil has wept all over the underside of my engine. Of course thanks to this I can't determine exactly where the leaks are so I can attempt to address them. The leaks aren't all that bad luckily, they just deposit a fine film to everything while the oil level is still good.

That said...any unobtrusive ways to clean up the oil and get the engine dry again so I can start observing? I have some ideas myself but I worry about anything that would be affected by solvents.

Ratrace427
06-20-2017, 09:59 PM
I really like purple clean or super clean. It's in a purple bottle at Walmart. It will damage single stage paint if it's not diluted. Great stuff. It really breaks oil down. I usually do a fifty fifty mix of water for keeping fresh oil residue off. For removing caked on grease go full strength. I try to keep water off the distributor cap. Can't get to it if water gets in.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

David T
06-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Get the motor hot and spray the underside with oven cleaner or Gunk. Wait a few minutes and then hose it off. Two of the most common leaks are the oil pressure switch on the left side and the crank pulley seal on the timing cover.

dn010
06-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Oven cleaner is great for cast, but do not use it on aluminum as it will eat the aluminum and permanently leave it discolored/etched.

This is why there is a particular warning on "Easy Off" not to use the product on aluminum. Just do a google search of oven cleaner eats aluminum and you'll read a ton of horror stories along plenty of pictures containing ruined aluminum car parts from people who try it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farrar
06-20-2017, 10:36 PM
I like a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water.

DMC5180
06-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Krud Kutter works well too and is Non-toxic.

You typically find it in the Paint section at the Big Box stores (Home depot, Lowes, Menards etc.) It's not spray on hose off. It's spray on wipe off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMC-81
06-21-2017, 09:40 PM
I like Gunk Engine Degreaser with a nylon brush, and/or a SS brush if the grease/oil is caked on.

Drive Stainless
06-21-2017, 09:58 PM
And then there's always the pressure washer or manual-spray car wash, which is the approach I use on my dirty diesel Mercedes.

Josh
06-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Get the motor hot and spray the underside with oven cleaner or Gunk. Wait a few minutes and then hose it off. Two of the most common leaks are the oil pressure switch on the left side and the crank pulley seal on the timing cover.

Dont use oven cleaner! As mentioned it will eat away at the aluminum.

sdg3205
06-22-2017, 01:39 AM
I use brake clean, followed by a simple green rinse. Worked for me.

David T
06-22-2017, 09:54 PM
I use brake clean, followed by a simple green rinse. Worked for me.

Oven cleaner works but you can't let it sit very long on the bare aluminum. Brakeclean is rather toxic. Gunk is the best choice. Some self-service car washes have a bay where you can use a pressure washer to blast the dirt and grease off. The very best way is to find a place where they have high pressure steam. Often used by places with large construction equipment.