PDA

View Full Version : Ready Player One - DeLorean Time Machine in the Movie

DavidProehl
07-22-2017, 04:36 PM
If you haven't seen the first trailer for Ready Player One, you may want to check it out. They have a DeLorean time machine in what looks like some kind of death race. I haven't read the book, so this likely comes as no surprise to many of you. I know the author has a DeLorean and had a contest when the book came out giving one away, so it makes sense the car has a central role, I just didn't expect it to be a time machine. Anyway, very excited to see this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE71JOvLPvE

Doughnuts with the doors up:

Death race:

Gregadeth
07-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Badass.

:notworthy: Spielberg

Mark D
07-22-2017, 11:26 PM
DeLorean in a death race with Rush soundtrack?

YES PLEASE.

Nicholas R
07-24-2017, 08:30 AM
The time machine is also seen at 1:37 doing a barrel roll.

I've read this book and listened to the audio book several times. It's a great read, especially for people that enjoy 80s things (and if you dont want to read it, the audio book is narrated by Wil Wheaton who does an awesome job). From the trailer alone it's pretty obvious that there are going to be a lot of differences between the movie and book, but it doesnt necessarily look like a bad thing. The time machine was mentioned a couple times in the book, but it definitely wasn't featured as much as it looks like it will be in the movie.

Jonathan
07-24-2017, 08:57 AM
I thought the book was great too. (So was his second book Armada). I couldn't remember a "death race" type scene in the book either. I think Nick is right though in that even if the movie differs in some ways from the book, it'll still be great. I think it's in good hands (Spielberg)!

AirmanPika
07-24-2017, 09:04 PM
My hometown AND my car? Yes please! I've wanted to see a Delorean driven around like this for years.

Lwanmtr
07-25-2017, 01:41 AM
With Speilberg directing, it'll have gangly grey aliens with creepy blue eyes at the end...

Rich W
07-25-2017, 09:50 AM
The time machine is also seen at 1:37 doing a barrel roll.

... and a lane change, from Right Lane to Left Lane, after jumping the gap.

skill
07-25-2017, 01:35 PM
at 00:50, is that a TM w/ the gull wing doors open, in reverse going around la glorieta (roundabout)?!!!!! *TAKE MY MONEY!!!*

DMCVegas
07-25-2017, 05:22 PM
I'd heard of the book, but never read it. After watching the teaser trailer, I had to start reading the wiki on RPO to see what it is about. From that, I gleamed 2 things.

1. Ernest Cline's "Ecto-88" car now finally makes sense to me. I still think it looks weird like any time machine conversion, but I understand it now.

2. Within the past year I've had several conversations offline with other DeLorean owners about Back to the Future, and it's impact on the DeLorean marque. Collectively, we've all agreed that once 2015 came and went, the whole thing was over. The interest has waned greatly.

However, this movie has just given the DeLorean/BTTF relationship a 30 year renewal...along with a few other properties. So be prepared for people who not only ask you where your Flux Capacitor is, they're going to ask about your Oscillation Overthruster as well. Because apparently, a modified BTTF DeLorean is what the hero drives in this movie.

DavidProehl
07-25-2017, 06:34 PM
a modified BTTF DeLorean is what the hero drives in this movie.

That is an interesting concept. If this movie gets big enough perhaps there could be a split between BTTF cars and RPO BTTF cars if the modifications are significant enough. I'm looking forward to the drama of BTTF purists telling RPO fans they are destroying perfectly good BTTF cars by drilling into hard to find original time machine parts. :)

Lwanmtr
07-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Lol..yeah that will be fun to listen to...just another permutation of the purists chiding the bttf conversions for ruining perfectly good cars

papanoel
07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
People are saying that car has KITT in it and KITT steering wheel in the movie.
Which would make sense since the author has a KITT steering wheel in his Delorean in real life.

Farrar
07-26-2017, 06:00 PM
I suppose eventually there will be a film where the 1980s and sci-fi references are so thick that the main character will drive a DeLorean with warp drive through Springfield while his teacher calls his name endlessly as he skips class to take lightsaber lessons from a guy named Indiana wearing a Pac-Man t-shirt and saying "Uh oh, twelve minutes to Wapner," because he needs to confront an animal named ALF who stole his copy of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and pick up his significant other named Matty from detention and take her to go and catch some ghosts...

Lwanmtr
07-26-2017, 06:02 PM
You just had that prepared for such an occaision, huh? lol

Farrar
07-26-2017, 06:13 PM
You just had that prepared for such an occaision, huh? lol

No, I made it up on the spur of the moment. I'm that good.

Chris4099
08-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Well, because of this thread, I decided to go out and get this book as I've been on vacation this last week. I read through it in just 6 days which is really fast for me. While a bit predictable and overhanded with the 80's pop culture, I still really enjoyed the book and now look forward to the movie! However, I don't expect the movie to be a lot like the book. I would imagine it would be almost impossible to get the rights to all the games/characters/movies mentioned in the book. There's also the fact that some parts wouldn't translate well to a movie. Would anybody want to watch somebody play a game of Joust or max out the score on Pac Man? LOL Watching the preview again since reading the book, I noticed the start of the death race scene mentioned the copper key in the background. So they probably put that in instead of one of the quests.

Considering the trailer showed more of the DeLorean then what was in the whole book, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they incorporate it. Very excited and March 2018 can't come soon enough!

Gregadeth
12-10-2017, 04:59 PM
New trailer just released today, featuring even more shots of the DMC. Anybody know whose car they used for filming? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48

DavidProehl
12-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Anybody know whose car they used for filming? :D

I think your smiley face is saying you already know the answer, but for anyone concerned, worry not - the car is CGI. No DeLoreans were harmed in the making of this movie.

Now I'm not sure if that can be said for the other upcoming movie with a DeLorean, Blue World Order (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fetx2XDQDGg) (think Mad Max in a DeLorean), but who knows. At a minimum they drive it hard on rough terrain. Whatever they do, at least they aren't hitting it head on with a train.

Lwanmtr
12-10-2017, 09:54 PM
If you're gonna travel around in a post apocalyptic world, why not do it with some style......

BladeBronson
12-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Anybody know whose car they used for filming? :D

I think your smiley face is saying you already know the answer, but for anyone concerned, worry not - the car is CGI.

There's a chance, probably not a very big chance, that it might be my car.

Just after buying my car in 2015, I replied to this request (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12638-Oct-21-2015-in-San-Francisco) for a DeLorean to be displayed at Industrial Light & Magic. Mike was nice enough to arrange for someone to take my girlfriend and me on a tour of the facility and we even saw some BTTF models! Toward the end of the tour, there was an odd exchange between our tour guide and someone else. It was sort of a "wink wink, nudge nudge" kind of exchange where they said that the should take a camera out and get some detail shots of the stainless steel. It felt like they wanted to collect some reference textures, but knowing that there wasn't a BTTF4 in the works, I convinced myself that I was misunderstanding their intent. I'd nearly forgotten about this until I realized that ILM worked on Ready Player One.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lwanmtr
12-14-2017, 06:56 AM
A really good stainless is one of those difficult things to do in cg. Many get close..but always looking for those references...Before I got my car, i had a friend drive down here jsut so I could get references for my cg work on deloreans....now that I got my own, I been working to get my stainless surface even betterer.

Timebender
12-24-2017, 12:35 AM
People are saying that car has KITT in it and KITT steering wheel in the movie.
Which would make sense since the author has a KITT steering wheel in his Delorean in real life.

And the KITT scanner on the front of his DeLorean as well.

dodint
12-24-2017, 12:37 AM
The KITT wheel is supposedly a real pain to drive with on the street.

Totally 80s
12-24-2017, 01:49 AM
The KITT wheel is supposedly a real pain to drive with on the street.

And illegal.

Delorean Industries
12-24-2017, 05:41 PM
I can't wait to build one of these!

dodint
03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Not going to lie, kind of like the Bullitt one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-bullitt-345x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-riskybusiness-343x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-backtothefuture-343x500.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/readyplayerone-tributeposter-highres-matrix-343x500.jpg

Others: http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-ready-player-one-posters/

Lwanmtr
03-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I'd agree, the Bullit one is the better looking of those.

Chris4099
03-29-2018, 10:27 AM
I saw the movie last night. Loved it! Very fun seeing Ecto-88 in it (granted without the Ghost Busters logo probably due to not being able to get rights). Sure it was all CGI, but it was very well done. In fact I was surprised when he deployed it, you see the car start to assemble itself. During this you see parts of the frame which was correct and even the engine. Right before the rear fascia appears, you can easily make out the W pipe on the intake!

The movie itself while not as good as the book was still lots of fun. Definitely worth seeing in a movie theater. The 3D was also very good and consistent throughout.

DannonWeb
03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Can't wait to check it out this weekend!

dodint
03-29-2018, 11:21 AM
I'm catching it on Saturday, doing IMAX in 2D. Been waiting for this for years, been tracking it so long I can remember when they wanted to cast Gene Wilder (RIP).

DMC-81
03-29-2018, 10:39 PM
I went to the Premiere this evening in Winter Park with my youngest daughter, of course we went in the DeLorean. It was a good movie. No spoiler alerts...

Bruce Coulombe and DMCFL had cars on display for the theater behind mine which I parked briefly for a photo op. There was definitely a positive buzz about the cars being there.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55803&d=1522376336

jawn101
04-01-2018, 11:21 PM
Can I just say what a great movie this was? I’m so proud that a member of our community could bring something this incredible to life. It was a great book and this movie was a great interpretation. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Big congrats to Ernie for his accomplishments.

Lwanmtr
04-02-2018, 12:19 AM
Great movie. Characters were well done.

bfloyd
04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
I had my car on display this weekend for the premiere of Ready Player One at my drive-in theatre.

https://i.imgur.com/kgmrCaPl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4MPec5ul.jpg

Sidaries
04-03-2018, 02:33 PM
I loved this movie! The plot is nothing special, but the references, the easter eggs and the retrocunami is awesome!

DaraSue
04-04-2018, 11:48 AM
I saw this last night and loved it! I thought they did a good job keeping most of the best aspects of the book while translating it into something a little more action-packed for the screen. It would have been pretty cool even without the DeLorean but that was extra-special awesomesauce. It had more of a presence in the movie than it did in the book, which was excellent.

My buddy swore he saw the Ghostbusters logo for a fraction of a second in one shot, like it had initially been on there but then been edited out and they missed a frame, did anybody else see that?

bytes311
04-04-2018, 12:49 PM
In one scene I saw a "re-elect Goldie Wilson" poster.

Lwanmtr
04-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Its one of those rewatchable movies, just to pick out all the goodies packed in.

Sidaries
04-15-2018, 02:26 PM
In one scene I saw a "re-elect Goldie Wilson" poster.

I saw it too. :)

Chris4099
07-25-2018, 07:09 PM
With the movie now on Blu-ray, I was able to do a lot of freeze framing to make out a lot of what's going on. When he deploys the car before the race, I took a very close look and was astonished at the detail. This movie probably has the most accurately rendered CGI DeLorean I've ever seen! I took some screen captures to show this. Here you can see the climate controls, clock and gear shift are very accurate (he also shifts into reverse correctly in a later scene):

The DMC logo on the air cleaner:

So here they got the W pipe a little wrong. There's also a second coolant expansion tank on the left. But we still have the AC compressor and throttle spool:

Finally we have another amazing detailed shot. The rub strip and inner tub are a bit too rounded and the outer weather stripping is missing, but otherwise the details are spot on! Even the seat latch is there.

Lwanmtr
07-25-2018, 07:45 PM
I'd certainly love to have the same struts n torsion bars for the doors....cause those things stay rock steady even when the car is bouncin'

Jonathan
08-11-2018, 08:02 PM
I haven't been much of a movie theatre going guy for years, so toughed it out waiting to see this movie for the first time until the Bluray came out.

And wow it didn't disappoint. Really enjoyed it. I've read the book and thought it was great and felt the same about the movie.

If that wasn't enough though, I watched all the special feature bits and enjoyed those just as much. Behind the scenes in a world I feel kind of apart of too. Maybe like how we've met some of the BTTF world people and DeLorean factory staff too. A sort of connection to the real people involved in these things. Spielberg, Silvestri, Ernie Cline... and all of them genuinely praising each other for their work. Talk about being a kid again. Really awesome moments seeing how thrilled many of those people were during the whole process.

One cast member's quote describing how Spielberg was to be around said "he's a giant that doesn't make you feel small." How good is it to be summed up like that? Definitely worth trying to follow that approach.

Great stuff Ernie. Looking forward to future books and movies. :)