PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5-Speed How Stiff/smooth Should the Crossgate Cable be?

vwdmc16
07-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Rebuilding my shifter and linkage to improve the way my car shifts, I have both ends of the cable disconnected but it is still mounted in vehicle and it is extremely difficult to push forward and back. I'm thinking about removing it flushing it out and relubricating it with something like bicycle brake cable lube. I'm hoping to not have to buy a new one as those are about $120 now. Shouldn't the cable move freely?

Drive Stainless
07-29-2017, 01:32 PM
It should move easily, but it is on the stiff side, even when new.

Gregadeth
07-29-2017, 04:48 PM
I changed all my shifter bushings and sleeves, and even removed and lubricated the shifter mechanism. The forward/back motion still feels clunky.

Bitsyncmaster
07-29-2017, 04:59 PM
I changed all my shifter bushings and sleeves, and even removed and lubricated the shifter mechanism. The forward/back motion still feels clunky.

I think the cable controls the side to side movement ant the forward to back is a push rods.

vwdmc16
07-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Thats right, cable is only the side to side movement.

Ive removed it from my car and after cleaning and forcing lube inside the cable, it has gotten no better. It takes about 80lbs of force yo make it budge even with the cable straightened out. These must be very rough old designs? I'm thinking it might be worth the money and search to have a modern teflon lined cable made.

Drive Stainless
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Thats right, cable is only the side to side movement.

Ive removed it from my car and after cleaning and forcing lube inside the cable, it has gotten no better. It takes about 80lbs of force yo make it budge even with the cable straightened out. These must be very rough old designs? I'm thinking it might be worth the money and search to have a modern teflon lined cable made.

This business is popular with the kit-car crowd for custom shift-cables:
https://www.cccables.com/

vwdmc16
07-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Nice ill give them a call Monday.

David T
07-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Nice ill give them a call Monday.

One way that cable goes bad is if you lose the ground strap from the motor to the frame. The current for the starting motor then tries to go through the cable, melting the insides. After replacing the cable make sure you have a good ground strap. Usually happens if the motor is removed and then replaced and you forget the ground strap.

vwdmc16
07-31-2017, 03:39 PM
That's a valid possibility. This is the original cable as far as I know too, the car live most of its life getting rusty in New England so i really doubt the inside of that cable is nice anymore.

Anyone have a cable that is known good and can measure the resistance?

vwdmc16
07-31-2017, 04:14 PM
I called DMCMW and they grabbed a new cable off the shelf and tested it right on the phone. Very little resistance in a new cable. For $122 its not worth trying to have a custom modern cable made up if a new original is that smooth. Ill pump some fresh grease into it as I bet the original is hardened up.

DMC-81
07-31-2017, 07:06 PM
I called DMCMW and they grabbed a new cable off the shelf and tested it right on the phone. Very little resistance in a new cable. For $122 its not worth trying to have a custom modern cable made up if a new original is that smooth. Ill pump some fresh grease into it as I bet the original is hardened up.

Agreed, I'd get a new one. I did a cable adjustment recently, and during which I tested it's movement. I was able to move the disconnected cable at the transmission end in both directions with my thumb and forefinger. If your old one takes that much force, I'd be worried about bending or breaking something in the linkage.

dn010
08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
I did this at least a year, maybe two ago. With a new cable and a new bushing kit, you can expect a night / day difference with shifting.

Gregadeth
08-01-2017, 04:05 PM
I think the cable controls the side to side movement ant the forward to back is a push rods.Not to hijack this thread, but is there anything that can be done to the push rods to smooth out the forward/back shifter motion?

dn010
08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Bushing kit, best $ I spent improving shifting after all the years.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10663-shift-bushing-kit-manual-transmission.aspx

Not to hijack this thread, but is there anything that can be done to the push rods to smooth out the forward/back shifter motion?