PDA

View Full Version : Damn Cats!

DMCVegas
12-05-2017, 12:49 AM
So since pulling my car out of storage and parking it in a carport, I've discovered the neighborhood cats have decided to mark it as part of their territory. I've no problems with any other cars, just the DeLorean. They've sprayed the radiator & air dam a couple of times, and the side of the spoiler once. I also have a spare set of louvers they've also hit multiple times.

My car has also become a popular date spot for the cats as well. I have just chased off another pair trying to mate on my car. Again.

So, here are the couple of questions I have, including one that I myself never thought I'd have to ask. But here we are.

1. What can you use to keep cats away? I want to get this straight before going any further: I will not harm any animals. So no poisoning, violence, or anything like that is out of the question. But I do want to keep them away, and keep them from walking, and pissing all over my car (among other things). But I also don't want to damage my own car in the process. Which brings me to:

2. Can cat semen discolor stainless steel? I know that blood can, and so far they've only been doing it on the windscreen. Which cleans easily enough (albeit gross as hell), but I need to know about the SS. I've Googled it, and while there are plenty of housecleaning tips on tidying up baby batter from clothes and furniture around the house, but not so much when it comes to cars or even sinks, let alone a DeLorean. If the answer turns out to be a "yes", will Bar Keepers Friend get stains out of the panels?

sdg3205
12-05-2017, 12:57 AM
So since pulling my car out of storage and parking it in a carport, I've discovered the neighborhood cats have decided to mark it as part of their territory. I've no problems with any other cars, just the DeLorean. They've sprayed the radiator & air dam a couple of times, and the side of the spoiler once. I also have a spare set of louvers they've also hit multiple times.

My car has also become a popular date spot for the cats as well. I have just chased off another pair trying to mate on my car. Again.

So, here are the couple of questions I have, including one that I myself never thought I'd have to ask. But here we are.

1. What can you use to keep cats away? I want to get this straight before going any further: I will not harm any animals. So no poisoning, violence, or anything like that is out of the question. But I do want to keep them away, and keep them from walking, and pissing all over my car (among other things). But I also don't want to damage my own car in the process. Which brings me to:

2. Can cat semen discolor stainless steel? I know that blood can, and so far they've only been doing it on the windscreen. Which cleans easily enough (albeit gross as hell), but I need to know about the SS. I've Googled it, and while there are plenty of housecleaning tips on tidying up baby batter from clothes and furniture around the house, but not so much when it comes to cars or even sinks, let alone a DeLorean. If the answer turns out to be a "yes", will Bar Keepers Friend get stains out of the panels?

Am i the only one who finds it odd when Rob actually asks a question as opposed to offering advice?! Rob, you don't have an answer?! Surely there is a meme for this!

Cover it. Really, cats are creatures of habit. once they start pissing in a certain place they will return over and over and over again if access if not an issue.

JETS 81 DMC
12-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Here is a start:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS678US704&ei=ezYmWrGDLeXCjwTcxbeoBA&q=how+can+you+keep+cats+away&oq=cat+repellent&gs_l=psy-ab.1.3.0i71k1l4.0.0.0.20325.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.. ..0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.QIRZf2AZpqc

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cat+repellent&clk_rvr_id=1383940116886&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzPrqppny1wIVDYVpCh2GPwEeEAMYAiAA EgLGxfD_BwE&geo_id=10232&MT_ID=70&crlp=190962395730_3447&rlsatarget=aud-126380771769%3Akwd-295426542902&keyword=cat+repellent&abcId=473846&treatment_id=7&poi=&adpos=1o2&device=c&crdt=0&ul_noapp=true

WHO1DMC
12-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Cat's don't like the smell of mothballs. If that idea is acceptable to you.

Dave B.

peterpaul
12-05-2017, 04:45 AM

all cats love delorean !!

opethmike
12-05-2017, 05:03 AM
LS swap it.

Michael
12-05-2017, 07:47 AM
I find it funny that his questions are every bit as long winded as his answers.:reading:

Dangermouse
12-05-2017, 08:14 AM
FWIW, cat spray has discolored parts of my SS grill on my deck, but I am sure that is the cheapest grade of SS available

GCMW Deloreans
12-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Cat's don't like the smell of mothballs. If that idea is acceptable to you.

Dave B.

In regards to that statement, it made me laugh a bit. My cats kept going on my pool table and i asked the masses what would prevent this and of course i was told to put a bowl of moth balls on the table when I was done with it. So I did! Next morning, the bowl was empty and all the moth balls were in the pockets. SOOO, in some cases, there are cats who just DGAF!! LOL Have a great day.

Mike

WHO1DMC
12-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Well it's a thought I never tried this myself. I also have and had multiple cats. We know they don't like things stuck to their paws so if willing use glue traps. Mike I wouldn't do this to your cats they might want to get even.

My cat is sleeping next to me as I write this. hehe

Dave B.

SamHill
12-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Seems to me the problem is unneutered/unspayed cats.

David T
12-05-2017, 12:21 PM
If the car is going to be sitting for a while mothballs spread out underneath work. For stuff specific to cats go to a store like Petco and they sell stuff you can spray on things that will make cats avoid it. Used for furniture to train them not to go near it. Once it gets 'marked" you will have to remove the smell first.

mr_maxime
12-05-2017, 12:39 PM
2. Can cat semen discolor stainless steel?

I cried I laughed so hard.

I'd say maybe get out a hose and just spray the cats when you see them. Or just install a laser show by your garage and distract them.

DaraSue
12-05-2017, 01:26 PM
There are ultrasonic devices that supposedly work, although you may have to go pretty high-tech to defeat the smarter cats.

https://thescaredycat.com/whats-best-cat-scarer-market/

Or just record your vacuum cleaner running and leave it playing on a loop by the car?

David T
12-05-2017, 03:29 PM
There are ultrasonic devices that supposedly work, although you may have to go pretty high-tech to defeat the smarter cats.

https://thescaredycat.com/whats-best-cat-scarer-market/

Or just record your vacuum cleaner running and leave it playing on a loop by the car?

If you don't mind getting the car wet you can buy a sprinkler that shoots water when it detects motion. Used to get rid of Deer.

Mark D
12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54824&d=1512506283

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54822&d=1512506273

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54823&d=1512506273

Morpheus
12-08-2017, 10:33 AM
^ Those memes are awesome. :)

Shep
12-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Mr. Pickles (wife's grandmother's cat) waltzed right into mine like he owned the place.

Now the first pic's my avatar! :)

DaraSue
12-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Mr. Pickles (wife's grandmother's cat) waltzed right into mine like he owned the place.

A+ cat, he even matches the color scheme!

DMCVegas
12-16-2017, 01:35 AM
Am i the only one who finds it odd when Rob actually asks a question as opposed to offering advice?! Rob, you don't have an answer?! Surely there is a meme for this!

Yes, I do not know it all. While I take great pride in my humility, I am but a man on this mortal coil.

Cover it. Really, cats are creatures of habit. once they start pissing in a certain place they will return over and over and over again if access if not an issue.

Right, and that's why I was concerned about using a car cover. I didn't like the idea of my cover acting as a bed sheet for a feral cathouse with various bodily fluids from amorous kitties soaking and spreading throughout the cloth to stain my body panels.

So I went right to the source: I asked my veterinarian. And we have a solution!

https://media.giphy.com/media/WIg8P0VNpgH8Q/giphy.gif

Semen and urine shouldn't be a problem as they've never had an issue with any damage on their stainless tables and sinks there in the office. So there's good news there. Then to keep the cats off of the car, she had a great solution for that which she uses on the office counters: Office chair mats!

http://www.glassmat.net/images/plastic-chairmats-1.jpg

Take the mats, and flip them upside down with the spikes up to keep cats and other animals off of surfaces you don't want them on. You can easily cut them to fit to whatever shape you need. Then attach them with velcro strips to the car cover to keep them from blowing away, and let them overlap to shield the wheels and spoiler from spraying onto the car. I'll also chuck some mothballs or something else like that repellant under the car as well.

Luckily though it seems like I may not need to do anything. A neighbor just moved out, and two of the cats have suddenly disappeared. Go figure. But at least I now know what precautions to take, as will others in the future.

Thanks for your advice everyone! It is appreciated!

Ron
12-16-2017, 03:19 AM
I just don't think that will work with my cat:

Motion sensor behind the shop.

Ain't it purrdy?

DMCVegas
12-16-2017, 04:16 AM
I just don't think that will work with my cat:

Motion sensor behind the shop.

Ain't it purrdy?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LTcPYjAwp_Y/VTEEY9xVBNI/AAAAAAAAKR4/zqbM9XLmooA/s1600/tumblr_inline_n0h838FQb51sz3kx6.jpg

Citizen
12-17-2017, 09:07 AM

54841 54842

Cats aren't the only fur-bearing creatures that love DeLoreans. Not to be out-done, dogs it seems love, DeLoreans too. In their younger days, our dogs never missed an opportunity to jump in if a door was found open, hoping to get a ride somewhere.

54884 54885

But these days, they are knocking at 14 and 11 years old, so they don't jump much in anymore by themselves (I have to help them now, sad to say).

Thomas

Timebender
12-17-2017, 09:15 PM
I'd say a harmless, as it won't hurt them permanently, but cause enough discomfort to keep them from being repeated offenders, is figure out a way to just electrify the hood of the car with very low voltage - 9 volts, so they get a little shock when jumping onto the hood. We actually had put up an electric barrier to keep one of our dogs in our yard. I think it ran at 12 volts (?), and the little fella (Dachsund), decided to pee on it..

Yep, that sound he made after will be with us forever.

Shep
12-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Has anyone tried dog-sitting?

Dangermouse
12-19-2017, 01:23 PM
I did, but Animal Welfare were called and told me to use a chair like everyone else

Shep
12-19-2017, 01:41 PM
I did, but Animal Welfare were called and told me to use a chair like everyone elsehttps://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1qw4Rf2U1qhjhoao1_500.gif

(Scrubs, S2E1)

valdez
12-22-2017, 12:36 PM
You have too much cat Semen on your car?

Never heard of such a problem. Are you sure it is the cats? Maybe someone really admires your car.

Shep
12-22-2017, 02:19 PM
You have too much cat Semen on your car?

Never heard of such a problem. Are you sure it is the cats? Maybe someone really admires your car.Good God, cat semen was already bad enough, but alternative sources for it? Too weird guys, I'm out.