PDA

View Full Version : Some Old Images

SoCalDMC12
09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Howdy Folks,

Whilst going through my library of auto design books, I cam across this series of images; It shows a concept sketch, and two prototypes. It's interesting to see how the design progressed from sketch to near-final product. Note the front spoiler design they were playing with on the driver's side of the bottom car. Also notice the round fuel filler door on the bottom image... I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Enjoy!5403

AdmiralSenn
09-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow, that top one... if the DMC-12 had come out in the 70's, that would have been the look. And I really, really like it.

I almost wish they HAD gone with the fender-based fuel filler, although I can only imagine what the fender supply situation would look like today if they'd had the same design change iterations as the hoods AND the supply problem of the left front fenderss.... they'd be like solid gold now. And I don't know if I like the look of it or not. I'm divided on that score.

SoCalDMC12
09-23-2011, 08:23 PM
From a design standpoint, I'm kinda torn on the fender fuel door. It would certainly be more convenient, but I don't like how it visually breaks up the fender.

sean
09-23-2011, 08:32 PM
From a design standpoint, I'm kinda torn on the fender fuel door.

I was indifferent for a second and then decided I didn't like it a bit, ruins the "smoothness" to me.

Tin Man
09-23-2011, 08:42 PM
DSV badge on the front grille in the second one, presumably for Delorean Safety Vehicle. Really glad they didn't stick with that.

Citizen
09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I wish they would have stuck with the manual sliding windows. So much less things to go wrong, and maintenance. And when your A/C goes out, those little toll-booth windows are pathetic for getting air in when you're at a stop light.

Still, there is something uniquely "DeLorean" about those little power windows within the fixed glass.

Thomas

SoCalDMC12
09-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I was indifferent for a second and then decided I didn't like it a bit, ruins the "smoothness" to me.

Yup. I wonder, though... with the fuel filler in the fender, could one gas up without getting out of the car? That would be neat.

DMCH James
09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Those bottom two images are actually the same car. The "middle" photo is the design concept mockup that Giugiaro completed in 1976 or so. The bottom photo is the same car with the driver's side half modified with the "facelift" that rounded the previously sharp edges. Note the passenger side half of the car and it's especially noticeable at the front spoiler. This mockup is now at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Belfast.

James

dvonk
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
it could just be the angle of the photo, but it looks like the forward edge of the door on middle one is nearly vertical, where the bottom it seems to be more angled.

was this a design change somewhere along the line or am i just "looking to hard"? :biggrin:

Farrar
09-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I kind of like the "air scoop" where our front spoiler ended up. Of course, I believe that was at the stage when the radiator was elsewhere.

Saving this photo for future reference. Thanks! :-)

Farrar

SoCalDMC12
09-28-2011, 01:37 PM
it could just be the angle of the photo, but it looks like the forward edge of the door on middle one is nearly vertical, where the bottom it seems to be more angled.

was this a design change somewhere along the line or am i just "looking to hard"? :biggrin:

I think you're right. The car rotated only slightly, but the angle of the cutline is much faster.

SoCalDMC12
09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Those bottom two images are actually the same car. The "middle" photo is the design concept mockup that Giugiaro completed in 1976 or so. The bottom photo is the same car with the driver's side half modified with the "facelift" that rounded the previously sharp edges. Note the passenger side half of the car and it's especially noticeable at the front spoiler. This mockup is now at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Belfast.

James

Thanks, James. Makes sense that they would modify an existing car to demonstrate design changes. Do you what happened to the concept drawings? I wonder if they're archived, or out in the wild, where the public can see them.